[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - VENLOFLAXINE

VENLOFLAXINE

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

VENLOFLAXINE

Postby dianar » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:41 pm

Is anyone else on Venloflaxine??? I'm on 250mg a day now and it reduced my symptoms at first. I suffered a lot of side-effects such as sweating, constipation and depression(!) when I was on a lower dose. However, recently I have been in a lot of pain. My arms and my legs and my back are so achey. I also don't like to be in meds and would really like to come off and try some alterntive treatments and gentler forms of exercise. The worst thing is that I have gained over 10kg since I was diagnosed with FM. I feel horrible!!!

So I wanted to ask what others on Venlaflaxine have experienced and if they went off, how they did it. I have read some horror stories!
dianar
UKFM Newbie

Re: VENLOFLAXINE

Postby snoozybunny » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:33 pm

Hi Dianar,
I struggle with depression and have been prescribed various antidepressents over the years however when I was diagnosed with the lovely Fibro I was put onto Venlofaxine as I gather it is sometimes prescribed for it's pain relief benifits even when depression isn't an issue. I am currently taking 300mgs a day and have to say it has certainly helped with the Fibro. Initally I did experience some of the side effects you mentioned but I thought the benifits outweighted the side effects. I have gained weight but it's difficult to say if that is down to the tablets because of course the Fibro has made me much less active.

Last year I decided I'd had enough of taking tablets and wanted to see what I was like without medication - BIG mistake. The pain returned with a vengance ( not that I'm pain free on the dreaded tablets mind but it is manageable most of the time - I've got Tramadol for when it isn't ! ) and my depression was horrendous - life threateningly so - . Anyway I am back on the Venlofaxine and doing quite well. Having said all that remember we are all very different and what suits one might not be right for someone else. I found it's very much trial and error when it comes to finding the medication that best suits you so if you are having doubts about the venlofaxine it would probebly be worth discussing it with your doctor.

Just as a 'by the way' - I have recently cut wheat and dairy from my diet and I have definatley noticed a reduction in my joint pain.

Hope this helps and you find what is right for you ! :-?
snoozybunny
UKFM Member

Postby jools1903 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:53 pm

If you do decide to come off Venlafaxine please, please get guidance from your GP!

It took me about 3 weeks (poss.more) to come off it and it was horrible. I took 2 weeks off work as I couldn't cope with the job and the withdrawal.
jools1903
UKFM Member

Postby Carrie Nourse » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:57 am

Hi, Yes I take the Venloflaxine mine are 37.5mg as I cannot swallow the bigger ones (even when they have been broken in half) as they got stuck in my throat. The doctor put me on these as the Amiytriptlene stop working for me. I do find them good but I also take the tramadol 50MG x 4 at night for pain relief and during the day if required. I do find they give me constipation but I think all tablets do especially if on them constantly. I do have a good diet but if extra help is needed then Liquorice is very good and I use a mixture called Movicol which is a powder and you can mix it into a drink, I usually have orange juice then you cant really taste it and that generally works overnight but if you are very constipated you can take 1-3 sachets a day and it might make your tummy feel uncomfortable for a while as it is working.
Carrie Nourse
UKFM Member

Postby dianar » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:48 am

Hi,

I posted two months ago and in the meantime decided to gradually take myself off Venlaflaxine.
So far I have only gone down a little bit from 225 to 150, and have been taking that dose for about 6 weeks.
My symptoms don't seem much worse. I had a few bad days once the change took effect, mainly depression and nausea.
I have increased my yoga exercise and am trying to maintain a healthy diet. I really want to intensify my exercise schedule as I have gained a lot of weight in the past year.
My Q is, what is the next stage of medication reduction? Should I go down to 75mg a day next or alternate between 150 and 75?
I don;t want to ask the psychiatrist who prescribed me thei s med as she was agaisnt me coming off and wanted me to take something else instead if I wanted to stop Venlaflaxine. I just don't want to be on meds and want to try other (alternative/natural) things.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Diana
dianar
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:00 pm

I know you dont want to take advice from the psychiatrist but what about from your GP, to drop to 75mg seems quite a lot and while you are managing at the 150mg dosage you may find the reduction too much.

I would really really advise you to speak to a professional so that you can be monitored properly and your health wont suffer :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:16 pm

I'm with Denys about speaking to someone about reducing your dosage, as it needs to be done in suitable sized steps and at a steady rate. Reducing the dosage by half could be too much in one go.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby fibro-lu » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:09 pm

hi,
best is to reduce with the help of a gp or similar, often they try to taper you off too quickly!
what is p-doc's reasoning for not coming off?
as a rule of thumb:
- take your time,
- don't reduce to much to early,
- give your system time to adjust,
- small steps down over a longer period
- don't force yourself to reduce more than is good for you (be pro-active), on less is far better than struggeling followed by failing to come off at all

from personal experience:
the lower the dose gets the more difficult it is, on 2 halfs of 75mg per day now (2 x 37.5mg), 1 x am and 1 x pm
before I took 3 halfs of 75mg/d for some time etc
the (heavy) sweating is a good indicator for me to know that I reduce too much,
altering days are good too, just don't step down too much, especially venlafaxine has a short half life
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby DeedleDee » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:17 pm

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with fibro a few months ago now, whilst being on Venlafaxine for depression. I have been put on separate meds for the fibro (now on gabapentin and co-codamol) and at no time has my doctor suggested upping the venlafaxine to treat fibro. I have been on higher dosages of anti deps before and the side effects you are talking about are quite common with a lot of them (been on medication for depression on and off for around 12 years). My doctor has been quite good in suggesting that my depression may be a symptom of fibro, and if my medication for fibro can be balanced out then I may be able to come off the venlafaxine. I've had symptoms of this horrid condition all this time and only the past few months has it been realised why!!

Anyway sidetracking here - if you are unhappy on your medication, especially due to side effects you have to tell your doctor. You have a say in your treatment as much as he / she does and so have every right to have an input. I am quite lucky in that my local surgery recognises my condition and is supportive in my treatment of it. I know others don't always receive the same treatment :(

I would say if you can avoid anti deps do - as I say I've been on them a long time and they are normal to me now. Whenever I've come off of them I have relapsed horribly but obviously my doctor now thinks there have been other reasons for my depression (step up fibromyalgia!!). Please make sure if you are coming off them you do it very gradually. It might be a slow process but you may end up feeling a lot better for it.

I hope you manage to find something that agrees with you and don't be afraid to speak up :) good luck

Much love xx
D xx

catch the moments as they fly, and use them as you ought....
DeedleDee
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication