having to bite the bullet and be direct

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

having to bite the bullet and be direct

Postby animeemo3 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:15 pm

okay, after seeing and hearing all your experiences with various meds, i have decided i am just going to directly ask my gp for certain meds (seeing as they have not actually tried other meds apart from silly codeine), but i am not sure what ones. after a lot of searching, i have come up with a list of common medications and wanted others opinions on what ones to choose. i understand that these may not be right for me, but i cannot find that out until i try them. here is the list.

duloxetine (cymbalta) or milnacipran? (savella)
pregabalin (lyrica) or gabapentin?
tizanidine (zanaflex) or cyclopenzaprine? (flexeril)
Pramipexole (Mirapex) or clonazepam? (Klonopin)

so tired of popping the same pills everyday and having little to no effect, going to the my doctor and literally having to beg to try something different and having a 60% chance of them saying no. its causing hell with my depression and they took me off citalopram two years ago and its only getting worse. i just need a little respite now and then :cry: yes i have researched all these and know what they treat and what they can interact with. just wanted to know what ones (out of the two on each question) would be the best to start with/request ect.
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Re: having to bite the bullet and be direct

Postby woodwasp » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:31 pm

ive found what works for me best is 60mg ctmbalta also 10mg amitriptaline good luck :yikes:
woodwasp
UKFM Member

Postby animeemo3 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:37 pm

well im on 100mg amitryptilene at night currently (had to increase myself when it stopped having an effect)
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Postby Suzyhyde » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:19 pm

I am on 300mg pregabalin morning and evening also the doc said I could go up to 50mg amitrityline but I am on 20mg the last couple of your years also trying acuputure he is trying really hard to help with pain I have had some good days which is good I think everybody is different sometimes I think my symptoms are not like others ,would like my old life back,coming to terms that this is as good as it gets and make the most of it hope you find some meds to
Suzyhyde
UKFM Member

Postby Suzyhyde » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:22 pm

Help you ;-)
Suzyhyde
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:26 am

Animeemo...Wow!
You are taking the bull by the horns. Don't be surprised if your Dr is a little cool to your suggestions, some don't like the patient being the Dr.

About 8 years ago both my Dr and myself were getting frustrated at not being successful in finding the right pain medication for me, we had finally found the right anti-depressant.

I had visited my friend who I hadn't seen in a few years, she also has fibro. I could not get over how much better she was coping. She told me her meds had been changed and she said one in particular had really helped.

I went home and asked my Dr if we could try it . I had been taking anywhere between 10 and 15 Oxycontin.
Anyway, we changed and slowly increased the level until it worked. That was 8 years ago, I am still on the same amount.

I tried cyclobenzaprine , flexeril a few years back. For me it completely changed my personality so badly you would not believe how I acted.

It is easy for us all to give opinions on meds but we are all different. Our bodies may not accept the same things. Please don't just assume they will work and get upset if your Dr will not prescribe what you ask for. Dr's don't always like it when a patient wants something they heard would work or if they self diagnosed themselves from the internet.

I hope you get sorted out soon.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby animeemo3 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:35 am

i know, im not expecting a magic pill, and that everything will be amazing, but i just want to be able to try lol my doc is very against any kind of medication, took me two years to get him to prescribe tramadol (which only makes me very sleepy and does nothing for the pain) and each time i go in, i try and explain things and how bad i am, but he just says "try for a bit longer, try for a bit longer" i understand that sometimes it takes a while for meds to work and sometimes you have to push past the side effects to get the real benefit, but its been quite a while now and i'm getting kind of desperate! :roll: it just feels like my doc wants to shove me back out of the door, the amount of times i've been in with the same kind of problems but what can i do? i've tried the explaining route, i've tried the "what do YOU think would work" route and now all thats left is the "listen here!" route. just so tired of being in pain and tired and achey and ignored and labelled :cry:
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Postby pops » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:50 pm

Pregabalin works for me!

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Tapatalk 2
pops
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:35 pm

anineemo.....I hope that your Dr will really hear what you are saying. You are right you are going to have to be aggressive with him. Have you considered going to another Dr?
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby animeemo3 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:40 pm

well i am going to see a different doctor on wednesday... she will be the 4th doctor at this practice. getting worried now, don't want to come off as a needy druggie :crazy:
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:34 am

Any Dr who understands your issues will not think of you as a druggie

The problem with a lot of people, and I mean non-medical people do not know the difference between a person who wants the drug and a person who needs medicines.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby pops » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:36 am

You do what you have to do to help you deal with fm. Some can do this with the help of medications others in a holistic approach.

What works for me is a mixture of pregabalin 300mg per day, 100mg per day of a antidepressant, both for pain management, diet & exercise and most importantly a positive attitude of living with fm. Luckily Ive done this with the help and support of my gp and his practice.

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Tapatalk 2
pops
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication