[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Just started gabapentin... scared stiff of side effects!

Just started gabapentin... scared stiff of side effects!

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Just started gabapentin... scared stiff of side effects!

Postby petareynolds » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:06 pm

Consultant has put me on gabapentin to try an keep me out of hospital.

Having previously had problems with side effects of other drugs that have the potential to make your head 'a bit screwy', the side effects of these seriously worry me (and my consultant), but we don't seem to have any other option. He has put me on 100mg once a day for a few days, then increase to 100mg twice a day for a few more then 100mg three times a day. He hopes that this low dose will not have the undesired side effects. If it does, he will put me on pregabalin but I've heard they're worse!

My brother-in-law (who has MS) has tried to reassure me and says gabapentin did nothing for him but pregabalin stop the constant numbness and tingling he feels, and I shouldn't worry.

I've bitten the bullet and taken the first tablet (5.30pm)... wasn't sure what time of day to take it but if it's going to make me drowsy evening seems like a good time!

Is it better with or without food? Morphine made me mega-sick so quite prone to pills making me I'll... paperwork says it doesn't matter, I was just wondering!

Guessing the interaction with other drugs is fine... I also take:-
... Fentanyl
... Naproxen
... Zapain
... Amitriptyline
... Omeprazole
... Bendroflumethiazide (is that how it's spelled??)
... Cacit D3
... Ventolin

Comments / reassurances much appreciated!
petareynolds
UKFM Member

Re: Just started gabapentin... scared stiff of side effects!

Postby pops » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:43 pm

Hi I take pregabalin 300mg pr day and Im ok. In fact its given me a better quality of life. We all react differently to drugs but I hope you get on ok. Take care.

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Tapatalk 2
pops
UKFM Member

Postby Shazzie » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:46 pm

I just started on same dose as you but within halfhour i felt ill ,i have problems with my stomach so have to be careful on tablets that i take so i refused to take anymore not sure what dr will put me on now awaiting appointment from her.
Shazzie
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:12 pm

Any effects that you may experience generally tend to start and ease off after a while of being on the med. The side effects mentioned in the Patient Info Leaflet are there for info should you start to experience things so you have an idea of what it is. Just because they are listed, it doesn't mean that you will absolutely, definitely 100% experience them. For some, what they experience are pretty minor and relatively short~lived.

They need a while to get into your system and take effect, so you may not feel any benefits initially. As you increase your dosage tho, and keep taking them for a suitable period of time, for some they can be an effective treatment. Some have felt a benefit after being on them for about a month, whereas for others it has take 2~3 months before a noticeable change was felt.

As to whether it is better to take them with or without food, unless there is something specified about how to take them in the dosage distructions, it tends to come down to the individual. Try taking them without something to eat and see how it makes you feel, then try taking them with something to eat and see which feels better for you. For something to eat when taking them, if it's not a mealtime, something pretty simple tends to be what most people go for, such as a plain biscuit, but as we're all so different, you may find something else suits you better.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby petareynolds » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:56 pm

petareynolds
UKFM Member

Postby Chimelle » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:52 pm

Hi I'm very new on here read posts but don't post only my 2nd one l'm a bit nervous I suppose.

After years of problems my GP put me on gabapentin slow dose same as
you, side effects were terrible and I was scared to carry on taking them
let alone upping them!!

But I pushed through it Thank god and now take the max dose 1200mg
3 times a day and wouldn't be without them. For me it really helped
The said I also take

60mg MST twice a day
100mg Amitriptline at night
Oramorph as needed up to 6 times a day if I feel a flare up (under shed loads of stress at the moment :-( I am so lucky to have a wonderful fiance and 2 teenager boys)
40mg floxetine
5-10mg Diazipam if needed.

The side effects in the beginning can be nasty but honestly once it is in your system the effects ware off and the higher you go they don't effect you much if at all

My flare ups are horrendous and I can hardly walk some days. The morning's are the worst and the rest of the day I use a cane and a wheelchair when I go out. I'm learning to take it one day (or hour :-)) at a time.

I'm not stupid I haven't accepted this condition I've decided she's my evil annoying twin, and right now we're screaming, fighting and pi**ING each other off. And it's clearly not working. We need to make friends understand we will argue etc but neither of us is going anywhere by trying to kill each other! (I told my consultant that a he's stealing it from me lol)

I'm lucky to be on a pain management course and have seen a clinical phycologist since July, has my last appointment, yesterday :cry: but I have Physio every week and he's been given me acupuncture for the last 4 weeks which is amazing and I start a fibromyalgia pain course in December :lol:

It's been a hell of a year and far from over. But love this forum and find it really helps. Not sure if my long rant will help in any way but hope so. Good luck to and every one else

Michelle xx
Michelle
Chimelle
UKFM Newbie

Postby Bridgitte » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:49 pm

Always a worry being given a new drug, especially when we're already on so many. I have Fibromyalgia and was put on Amitriptyline to take at night, and after I stopped responding after being on 100mg for a long time, I was taken off them and tried on Gabapentin. Seemed okay at first, but then started getting dizzy, nauseous, falling over, muddled headed so I stopped taking them and was put on Clonazepam-no good so I'm now on Nortriptyline. My sister was also given them for another reason; 1st tablet she felt brilliant, but the next day she started having same problems as me and got worse before she got better after stopping them.
Of course, everyone is different and might work for you so it's always worth giving it a go, but always, as with all drugs, keep an eye on any side effects that happen that you know are not normal for you. I was told that Gabapentin is a drug for epileptics as it is meant to calm nerve endings, and can also reduce pain; sounds good in theory.
Good luck and gentle hugs! :-)
Bridgitte
UKFM Member

Postby helen.whittaker.125 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:31 am

I've just started on gabapentin (still can't spell them) so far so good but it's only week 1 so only 1 300mg tab a day at the moment I increase to 2 next week then 3 the week after, I've met some who it really suits x

BB Helen xx
BB Helen x
helen.whittaker.125
UKFM Member

Postby debsmith » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:17 pm

Hia painclinic tried me on gabrepentin and I had horrid side efffects was advised to stop them slowly GP reccomended pregablin as my feet burn terribly!!! Along with other things! I was really anxious to try them but the pain won and I tried them been on them for 6mths now I have to say I know about it if I 4get 1 eeekkkk!!! The only side effect I have and it pee,s me off is I have put weight on I spoke to consultant about it as u know what they all say loose weight etc! But she said its either pain or gain weight so leaves little option really I do however have a swollen knee whitch has started recently whether related to fibro I have no idea! But seeing GP in morning I'm also on:
Anatriptiline
BuTrans patches (morphine)
Co-codimals ev 4 hrs +
Pregablin 50mg am + 100mg at night

I guess its trying differant drugs til we know it suits us as no one the same I worry to about my insides not 1 dr has said as ur on these we will run tests to make sure all okay wish they would each year or so to put our minds at rest :grouphug: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: debbie xxx
debsmith
UKFM Member

Postby petareynolds » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:16 pm

Given up on the gabapentin... I have one consultant (orthopaedic... got arthritis too) Insisting I get down to bmi of 20 or 21 as I was overweight and he said carrying around four extra stone was doing me no favours, which makes sense, so I've lost nearly three stone of it but gabapentin was putting on a pound a day... scary, and counter-productive!

Going back Tuesday... he said I could try pregabalin if I didn't get on with gabapentin... does that have weight gain side effect too? He also said there was a third alternative drug but didn't name it... any ideas?
petareynolds
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:22 pm

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Treatments & Medication