Flare up

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Flare up

Postby Princesslaulau » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:33 am

I've been a having a bad flare up now for about the last two weeks!! Sleeping so much at night and in th day but also suffering with insomnia, pain has been so much worse in arms and legs and flu like symptoms as well as sore throat and reduce appetite. Is this normal to feel like this for so long? And have such a bad flare up? I have a doctors appointment tomorrow to try and get more help and better painkillers as I'm just on tramadol at the moment and I hate the way they make me feel. Any suggestions on what to take that won't make me drowsy or sick?
Thanks
Princesslaulau
UKFM Newbie

Re: Flare up

Postby siennasbreeze » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:46 am

Hi
Sorry to hear that you are having a such rotten time at the moment princess.
I too suffer from prolonged flare episodes,my latest one has been going on for nearly four weeks,in that time ive not been able to leave the house as the pain,insomnia and fatigue is so bad.
I suffer from dry mouth,eyes and nose badly amounst other places.Recently,ive been having alot of light headedness,feeling dizzy when I stand up and sweating horrendously especially at night.
on top of that i have severe muscle and joint pain,stiffness,leadbooted legs,crawling and burning skin,severe light sensitivity,heat sensitiivity,IBS,poor mobility,rubbish memory retension and recall,coeliac disease,reyaqnrds pneunonom,rheumatoid arthritis ,ME and a CTD.

So i can sympthaize with what you are going through.Over the years ive had fibro ,I have tried every pain killer DMARD known to man..i think.Of course everyones genetic makeup is different so what drug works for one person doesnt always work for others.
However,I have found Gabapentin to be of help.Although it does not switch off all the symptoms ,they do tend to take the edge of thinks for me so I can cope with things alittle better.I started on a really low dose to give my body chance to get use to it and gradually increased to a dose that i could manage without creating too many side effects.I did try Pregabalin at one point,but didnt find any benefit to it.
I found Gabapentin to not make my nausea worse .They work by numbing the pain receptors in your brain.People with epilepsy use them also.I also take Pregnisolone,the strength of which vary according to how bad my symptoms are,e,g when in flare i go up to 40mgs for a week then gradually reduce backdow n to my mantainence dose of 10mgs.
Might be worth giving them ago/

I hope this is of help to you.

Hope you feel better soon xx
siennasbreeze
UKFM Member

Postby siennasbreeze » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:11 am

aw and i forgot to mention the embarrassing problem that goes with my fibro..bladder incontinence which has got really bad these passed 4 months or so to the point that I have to wear pads all the time...ooooooooo the joys!

its 1.11am and im still awake....brain wont shut up lol
siennasbreeze
UKFM Member

Postby libbiek30 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:22 am

I seem to get flare ups depending on weather, hormones and stress. I've got really bad fatigue at the moment cause I'm pre-menstrual. I had acupuncture which really helped and take amitriptyline which really helps me sleep. Good luck :shock: :-)
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby Mothership » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:47 am

Good morning. Sorry to hear you are all suffering. I am also in the middle of the worst flare up ever! Started on Sept 22nd! I am exhausted, the pain is unimaginable! My doctor wants me to just take solpadol and naproxen, I may as well eat smarties for the good they do. This is making me miserable, and at 8am I am phoning the doctors! I can't carry on like this.
Try and have a good day, and keep warm going to be chilly today. Janine. X
Mothership
UKFM Newbie

Postby Princesslaulau » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:04 am

Thanks everyone for your response, in going to go to that doctor today and demand some help!! I'm sorry to hear everyone has been feeling so bad, I think it is down to the weather getting colder but it's nice to know in not alone. The main problem with painkillers is that I try to work full time! This is a struggle believe me but I have to have something that I can still work with without feeling spaced out. Hopefully the doctor will come up with something. Xx
Princesslaulau
UKFM Newbie

Postby migrembe » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:11 am

Are you sure you haven't had the flu? It's possible and would aggravate the symptoms of FMS.

What we need to remember is that the pain is in our minds although we feel it in our bodies because there are no 'feeling' nerves in our minds/brains. Whenever you get a flare ask yourself 'what changed?' You will find something has; premenstrual is a change in the body, you normally had a perfect diet but went to a wedding at the weekend and decided to eat lots of yummy bad things, your child/spouse has been sick, you have been sick, your benefit money has been stopped, you have to fill in yet another form, you get the idea.

If a Dr announced he had a cure a FMS and then handed you a pill that looked and tasted like a smartie the chances are it probably will be a Smartie. There is no cure and many medications works because we tell ourselves that they are working, but when there is a change no matter what it is we can also make the pills not work too.

I believe the answer, the cure lies within us and finding out the 'why', how you ended up with it in the first place is also part of the answer. Not saying that the pain does not feel real, i know it does, but i also know that there is nothing broken in my body, except for a little osteoarthritis in the knees and yet there are days i find it difficult to get out of bed and i struggle to get dressed. Why? Because i am not ready to face all of the past demons in my life, because there are some i cannot change and knowing won't help. My biggest symptom is the depression followed closely by the pain. And my feeling of uselessness and if i let it this feeling would push me under a bus or a moving train, but i don't want to die, i have things to live for.

:flowers: Beverley x
migrembe
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication