[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Coming off Morphine and assorted meds

Coming off Morphine and assorted meds

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Coming off Morphine and assorted meds

Postby MusoHolli » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:11 pm

Hi there,
I am new here and i am relatively new to my diagnosis.
I had an accident a few years ago, had a screw in my knee, went back to my job performing around the world and all was well. I lost weight over last year despite working abroad and eating a tad too much. I went from a 14 to a 6 and no one seemed to bat an eyelid. I was on Gabapentin at the time due to my back hurting and having issues post op from my knee but it was never excruciating. With the weight loss it got more and more prevalent and earlier this year i slipped in the shower and well....that was that.
I had an epidural when the gabapentin wasn't helping my ever changing condition. The epidural sent my daily pain from a 8 to an 11.
I was instaty put on Fentanyl, Oramorph and paracetamol, naproyxyn and diazapam for spasms.
I've got myself of oramorph however, i am still on my patches and i am suffering pain every day even with them.

I want to be off morphine all together but we are still not sure what the main root of the problem is with my back. I'm undergoing many many tests to find out. I've had to stop my job as a musician but was forced into a desk job due to my sick note being thrown out by the job centre saying i could 'work in an office, no one was forcing me to perform' which devastated me. I struggle with work but i'm coping.

Has anyone here managed to sort themselves out with their meds and coming off morphine despite still having 8-10 pain readings?

I have a wonderfully supportive partner but if he hates anything about all this....it's morphine knowing it doesn't help the rest of me too much.

All advice greatly received and also if anyone had any advice on help i could get despite working full time with mobility things?

Much love
Hollie x
MusoHolli
UKFM Newbie

Re: Coming off Morphine and assorted meds

Postby whoami » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:05 pm

Hollie, I have sent you a private message.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby fuzzyhead130 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:15 pm

Yes Hollie, I have,although I have been back on,it's about balance and if your pain sits around 8+ you are going to have to find another way. :yikes:
I use meditation with earphones,hot baths with Epsom salts and I go to Pilates and tai chi,these to systems work with your body at any level and a good instructor will help you to make allowances for what you can't do. Acupuncture can also be of value with big pain :-D
If you have such high levels of pain it's unlikely that you would feel ok without a pain system .
If you need morphine,please don't feel guilty about it us lot on here are on all sorts .we take and use whatever we need to get through each day and live .please read medical info in regard to morphine as it actually is very different to what you may think.
If you want to go med free with chronic pain be prepared to put aliitle effort into working on your pain and see how you go,it's possible as many on here will tell you,but remember everyone of us is unique so sadly you have to find what is right for you.we are here to support each other but our way might not be your way
Good luck and prayers feel free to share how its going :-D :lol: :lol: :lol: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
fuzzyhead130
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:01 am

:welcome: to our little sanctuary Hollie :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Have you asked about a referral to your area's Pain Management/Clinic type dept?? Thru them you can quite often access additional treatments and programs to help with managing your pain levels more effectively. The kind of things they can offer incl acupuncture, advice about meds, physio.

Wrt to coming off meds, it would need to be done very carefully and gradually and under the guidance of your GP or other suitable healthcare professional as if it's not done at the right rate for you, side/withdrawal effects can leave you feeling even worse than your meds do. It could be that a review of what you are currently on/taking, with a few tweaks and changes could help make things more comfortable for you, so might be something else to consider.

And as well as meds, you could also look into non~med type ways to help things. Quite a few of us find a TENs machine can help, as can things like ibuprofen gel rubs or more natural, even warming gel rubs. Applying warmth to areas can make things a little more bearable, such as the wheaty bags that you zap in the mikey, or a good old hottie bottie. The Help/Tips On Coping board is full of different things that members have found beneficial in various ways, so you could have a look on there for suggestions.

There may be various ways for you get help wrt to working, but not all of them may be relevant to what you need. If you can give us some ideas about the areas you're wanting help with, then we can hopefully point you in a suitable direction for advice and info.

There is lots of other info and advice across the boards, so when you get a chance, have a bit of a browse. You never know, you could come across something that makes a difference to you :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Youngone » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:05 am

Hi,
I'm on Fentanyl 50 Mcgh patches, Venlaflaxine, Paracetamol and Oramorph for Breakthrough Pain.

Currently not used Oramorph for 10days or so. But will use again if I get a flare.

Why do you want to come off it altogether?

Keep it in reserve and use as necessary.

Regards

Nigel
Nigel
Ileostomist with FM & Osteo Arthritis in Back & Hips as a bonus.
Keep fighting and smiling.
Youngone
UKFM Newbie

Postby MusoHolli » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:06 am

Hi everyone,
Thank you so much for your support.

The reasoning for trying to come of is more personal stamina, but i realise this may silly of me.
I actually went into hospital on sunday due to an almighty flare up, however this turned out to be my fibro indicating something more was wrong and it actually turned out to be a severe kidney infection. Antibiotics, two injections of morphine and one of codine and i was on my way.

The reaction to telling people (who need to know) i'm on morphine patches is also irritating. I shouldn't care but my job means i have to put on a whole act about how it's not important in order to calm their nerves about it and yet that then means they think i'm always a-ok and i never need a helping hand because i played it so cool why i'm on them in the first place. It all sounds so silly, i know.

I just have to say to myself this is how i am right now and it's what i need. I take the oramorph in dire times of need. I seem to be handling barely touching diazepam fine. I do hate greatly how, if i do get a rare migraine i then can't take anything for that and end up with it for days. I refuse to go near gabapentin again, i see no point after it, pregabalin and one other which name escapes me didn't work.

I guess i just have to put up for now and see than withdrawl is a long way off. But i will look into altenative methods. I'm supposed to have been refered for acupuncture 3 months ago.....i'm still waiting!

Thanks again! x
MusoHolli
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:24 am

Hollie.....are you on morphine patches as well as Fentanyl? I ask because people confuse morphine with Fentanyl. I am on 125 mcg Fentanyl patch and use oxycontin for breakthrough pain.

They are both classed as a narcotic.

Morphine is not found in Fentanyl

They are both opiates only Fentanyl is synthetic

Fentanyl is a lot....a lot more powerful than morphine

Sometimes with all the different names for medication it can get confusing . A lot of medications have different names in Canada, the UK, US and other countries.

I always suggest that we check with our Dr before taking any medication or if you increase or decrease meds
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby MusoHolli » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:14 am

I am on Fentynl patches 12mg and oramorph. Oramorph for breakthrough pain.

I had no idea about fentynl being synethetic....or stronger.

I'm now even more concerned. But i can't cope without it. I was late changing my patch by an hour last night and the rip through pain seized me up within moments.
MusoHolli
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:32 pm

Hollie....Try not to worry about meds if they help you. There are very few of us sadly that can cope without medication.

Please do not try to stop or change any dose of medication without your Dr's support. It could be that until you find out what exactly are all your issues are that you will need some form of medication. The amount of pain you are getting with the meds you have may indicate you need to have them all reviewed by your Dr. I would suggest to make an appointment and have a good chat.

Like you, I was concerned about the meds or should I say the amount of meds, I was taking years ago. I must have been on around 8 types at once for fibro.

With the help of my Dr and other medical professionals we were able to drop all but Fentanyl and wellbutrin. We had to slowly increase the Fentanyl from 12 to 125 to find the right level for me. I also have something for breakthrough. After 25 years of dealing with this I know I need meds to help me have a live that is different but enjoyable.

When you are getting breakthrough pain try hot baths with epsom salts. I know the treatment has been around forever and doesn't sound that it would help but a lot of us get some comfort from this. I also use Arnica gel on my legs, knees, hips and hands.

Work with your Dr's Hollie, as others have said there are many treatments out there that help. Find what works for you and when you do, don't feel ashamed or let anyone else make you feel that way for using whatever it is to help you. You owe nobody any explanation and do not have to justify yourself and your condition.

Hopefully no more kidney infections. Added stress creates added pain you don't need :hugs:
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to Treatments & Medication