[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - methocarbamol

methocarbamol

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

methocarbamol

Postby painprincess1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:58 pm

Has anyone taken this med as a mussel relaxsent
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Re: methocarbamol

Postby denys » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:27 pm

No sorry PP I havent
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:53 pm

Methocarbamol is also known as Robaxin, is a carbamate derivative of guaifenesin, and works as a CNS depressant, as well as having sedative and musculoskeletal relaxant properties. It works by blocking nerve impulses (or pain sensations) that are sent to the brain.

Like all meds, it has potential side effects, some of the less serious ones are:~
dizziness, spinning sensation, drowsiness;
headache, confusion, memory problems, loss of balance or coordination;
nausea, vomiting, upset stomach;
flushing (warmth, redness, or tingly feeling);
blurred vision, double vision, eye redness;
sleep problems (insomnia);
stuffy nose; or
mild itching or rash.
And some of the more serious ones incl:~
fever, chills, flu symptoms;
slow heart rate;
feeling like you might pass out;
seizure (convulsions); or
jaundice (yellowing of your skin or eyes).

It's not something I've tried myself, and I only know of one person who has had it. Unfortunately the side effects were too much for them to manage with, so they came off it pretty quickly, so no real advice for you about it I'm afraid :( :( :( :( The only thing you can really do is give it a go and see if it helps.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby SEZIN » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:42 pm

I've been using this for years and suffer a lot of side affects from it..makes me feel very dizzy, confused and cant function when I take them..It's a no win situation for me as I take them to ease the muscle spasms cos I cant move..then cant move cos I'm so dizzy..fell from being dizzy once and broke 3 ribs
SEZIN
UKFM Newbie

Postby shortnsweet54 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:45 pm

Hi,
I've used them for 4/5 years for restless legs, they worked fine for me with no side effects. First few times i took them i felt a little light headed but i usually took them at night when my legs took on a life of their own so it wasn't too bad.

I now take high dose magnesium which has certainly helped restless legs and rarely need my meds now.

Everyone reacts differently to meds, you can give them a go and see how you get on, hopefully they will help with a minimun=m of side effects

good luck and take care, Jan xx
shortnsweet54
UKFM Member

Postby Roch » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:01 pm

I had horrendous fibro related spasms in my thighs and calves. They were so painful and i would fall to the floor, they controlled my life. At first they were the night then they became a whole lot worse and started happening any time day or night and could last up to an hour and the pain was excruciating even though i had a high pain threshold. I became scared to leave the house because of the embarrassment of an attack whilst out or even worse whilst driving.My gp put me on quinine and methocarbamol, the dosage was to take 2 after an attack but i felt that did not work for me. I took 2 every then 2 early evening and then 2 after every attack It was a godsend for me, spahsms went from lasting an hr to stopping within 10 min of taking the methocarbomal, and the attacks became less frequent. Then 5 months ago i had total knee replacement and the second day post op i had a mini spasms and five months on not a single attack, very weird but very happy as i have enough health probs so one less is a bonus lol.
Roch
UKFM Newbie

Postby RosslynRose » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:25 pm

I've been taking Robaxin now for about 6 years. I couldn't cope without them. Taking them have reduced many muscular spasms from my Fibro and the sciatic attacks from a bulging disc in my lumbar area. I don't know of anyone else who takes them. Start light and work up to a dose that is comfortable for you. I only ever got dizzy spells when I took them on an empty stomach. They really did save my sanity.
RosslynRose
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication