[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Fibro pain relief and asthma - need advice

Fibro pain relief and asthma - need advice

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro pain relief and asthma - need advice

Postby Zeberdi » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:24 pm

Amongst my long list of health issues, that include Fibro for the last 15 years plus, I have asthma and have also suffered a severe stomach bleed that almost killed me.

Both of these mean that anti inflamatories are a no go as they are irritants to the stomach and can trigger an asthma attack. Up until now I have managed my pain with co codamol, tramadol and ibruleve gel. I also take supplements, have B12 injections for pernicious anaemia. Careful management of my activities also helps.

Over the last year the level of pain has increased to a level I find hard to manage with my current tools. My Doctor is loverly but knows little about Fibro and can't prescribe a lot of the drugs that would help. For example Diclofenac would be wonderful but is a no go for me.

Is there anyone out there who has similar restrictions on their medication who has found something that might help me or a medical person out there who could offer some advice. I would be very grateful and be able to take the suggestions to my Doctor to discuss if I can use it.

Thank you for you time and in hope of useful replies.x
Zeberdi
UKFM Member

Re: Fibro pain relief and asthma - need advice

Postby sezzaden » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:39 pm

I too suffer with chronic asthma so a lot of things are a no go i manage my fibro with tramadol fentynl patches (they are a god send and really work for me but may not for others) i also have oramorph to top up with when pain really bad that the patches aint working amitriptyline and paracetemol hope you find some help soon
sezzaden
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:41 pm

Zeberdi......Due to the amout of oral medications I have had to take over the many years, my stomach could not handle anymore. The Dr switched my primary pain med to a patch/patches. Ask him if your medication comes in a patch form.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Beth13R » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:48 pm

Hi Zeberdi

I also have fibromyalgia and asthma. My current medication is amitriptline, codeine, paracetamol and vitamin D. Amitriptline is an antidepressant but on a low doses it can be used for muscle pain. Since starting on it I have been able to reduce my paracetamol and codeine.

My fibromyalgia started as a result of a accident with a horse. Following my accident I saw a sports therapist who recommended I rub in arnica cream to the areas that are sore and when at its worst take arnica tablets. I have continued this and it works for my fibromyalgia pain as it does similar to an anti inflammatory .

Another change I have made to my lifestyle is cut out gluten and caffeine. Gluten is an inflammatory and by cutting it out the pain I get has reduced considerably. Cutting out caffeine has helped my poor sleep.

I also have regular massage which reduces tension and encourages blood flow.

Hope something from the above can help you

Beth
Beth13R
UKFM Newbie

Postby caz0120 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:55 pm

Hi, i also suffer from fibro and am asthmatic as well, i have an anti-inflammatory that doesn't trigger asthma and does help some it is call Nabumetone (Relifex) is the other name. If i forget to take it i suffer and if my asthma plays up there is the usual "stop the anti-inflammatory's" but it's not down to them. I also have a cocktail of pain meds which sometimes take the edge of if i'm lucky.
caz0120
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:09 pm

Have you asked your GP about a referral to a Pain Clinic??? They offer a multi~disciplinary approach to dealing with chronic pain issues, covering meds, treatments, ways to help yourself. Actual services do vary area~by~area, but generally thru them you can have access to things such as acupuncture, help to deal with the mental/psychological aspects that can arise when living with chronic pain, advice about meds etc. If it's not something you've been offered, then maybe ask about availability in your area.

Depending on the areas which are causing you the most problems, you could try applying warmth/heat from a wheaty bag that has been zapped in the mikey or a hottie bottie wrapped in a towel.

A TENs machine has proved quite effective for a few of us on here, to the point where the units are now like BFFs to us :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sounds a little sad, but it is true, I don't go very far without mine these days :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

As for actual advice about meds, as I don't have asthma I'm not sure what might be suitable for you to ask your GP about. This tells you about some of the types used in the management of FM. All I can really suggest is have a bit of a looky and then talk to your GP about what could possibly help without upsetting your asthma.

Just thinking, there have been a few mentions on here from members with FM and asthma over time :-? :-? :-? You could also try using the Search option in the top right corner of each page. There may be some posts where people have said what meds they are on, which could then give you a bit of an idea about what to ask your GP.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Colegg » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:56 am

I have fibro and bad asthma at the moment I am suffering with a chest infection taking a lot of steroids and a week of antibiotics I was threatened with hospital twice last week but felt my asthma has been a lot worse so felt hospital was not necessary but I don't know if I am getting worse before the fibro I used to know when my chest was full of infection as by back chest hurt and my lungs would feel heavy but now as I get pain in my chest and back area on a daily basis I don't know if my infection is worse and don't want to keep going drs as it's a struggle to get there anyway anyone else feel as though they don't know what is normal pain anymore or pain from an infection ect xx
Colegg
UKFM Member

Postby sara_elizabeth » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:14 pm

if i can be weird and pimp my own website (i think that's okay, i don't really write on it anymore, if once every 6-12 months counts as an "active" website? ;) )this is a review i wrote [only so i'm not telling you to go to a magazine or a company website, this is my own review as a fellow omg my life is pain sufferer for a massage balm that i found in a super posh spa i can't afford to go to but i buy their balm because it's literally the only thing i've ever found to help with my muscle aches outside of a bath and professional assistance (medication/massages/acupuncture..etc...anything that i can't do on myself)

http://dailypolish.com/2012/11/ushvani- ... magic.html

it does cost £29.50 so it is kind of expensive but it's genuinely designed to be a healing balm and it's like vicks vaporub in that it sort of has a weird tingling sensation but i find it even works on that weird part of my shoulder/neck that gets locked up all the time so i can't turn my head, i only need a tiny bit (20p sized?) so it lasts me for ages and i rub it in anywhere and everywhere i feel pain and it genuinely alleviates my pain. even my migraines which is saying something because i've been in the "your migraines are so bad we are going to inject botox into your brain because you are beyond medical help" point for over a year now!

granted just because it works for me doesn't mean it will work for you....but i always try to spread the word if i can because it's so rare something helps me (i'm immune to more things than i'm not!) so yeah. i swear by this stuff and have to suggest it especially since you say you can't ingest things.

i will also echo the patch comments, i am on buprenorphine patches for pain and they are a lifesaver. my fibro was getting to a point where my mobility was disappearing and these pain relief patches really gave me back a great deal of my mobility and i feel without them i'd be close to bedbound (or genuinely bedbound). and maybe try talking to a gastro and see if they can help you with medication for your stomach to make it less delicate? arg, so difficult, i'm sorry :(
I have loved to the point of madness, that which is called madness, that which to me is the only sensible way to love
sara_elizabeth
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication