[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Amitriptyline

Amitriptyline

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Amitriptyline

Postby armfaw » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:46 am

I started this 10 days ago 10mg at night... it don't seem to be doing anything except making me very moody, grumpy, ... and its taking me 2-3 hours to get to sleep. so not getting much sleep.. I take it around 6-8pm and go to bed around 12am and just lye there for ages wide awake.. yet I am really tired. sleepy falling asleep on the sofa.. but when I get to bed I'm wide awake..
armfaw
UKFM Member

Re: Amitriptyline

Postby loverliesgal » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:06 pm

Go back to your GP, I went up to 100mg of Amitriptyline at night, which was far too much, I am now on 50mg, and sleep does arrive at last. . .doesn't stop the pain, but makes me tired enough for it not to bother me too much :/
loverliesgal
UKFM Member

Postby armfaw » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:21 pm

thankyou, I have made an appointment for next week..
armfaw
UKFM Member

Postby Garyl » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:23 pm

I will not take Amitrpyline as it made me paranoid, I just wish the pain killers worked, atm am wearing gloves to bed as my hands are so painful.

All my doctor says is keep hands warm
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby Lilly » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:47 pm

I take amitriptyline for pain/sleep/headaches,i am on 60mg plus numerous other medication. To be honest my meds sometimes help different problems,but on a very bad day like today nothing touches the evils of fibro.
Lilly
UKFM Newbie

Postby armfaw » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:00 pm

thankyou, I am not on anything else.... not sure what to do as I didn't want to go on meds. but getting desperate now. :(
armfaw
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:19 pm

Amitriptyline needs about a month to fully get into your system and take effect, so being on them for 10 days, you may not be feeling any benefit from them yet. Also, the initial starting dosage doesn't always suit, so a bit of twiddling with it may be needed to find a more effective level for you.

Whilst taking them earlier in the evening can help some, it doesn't work for everyone. With you going to bed around midnight, you may find taking them a bit later could be better for you, such as a couple of hours before you will be going to be, which would be around 10.00pm for you.

When starting a new med, it's not unusual for symptoms to feel worse at first. With continuing to take it tho, these things tend to settle down again, then hopefully start to respond to the med.

Sometimes tho, Amitriptyline just doesn't suit someone (I found this to be the case when I was on them.) If this happens, there are alternative that can be tried. The next step along tends to be Nortriptyline, which is a sister med of Amitriptyline. It works in the same way but is said to be better tolerated and have fewer side effects than Amitriptyline.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby armfaw » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:26 pm

armfaw
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:37 pm

They are OK either used on their own, or in part of a cocktail of meds. It could be that they are simply not the right med for you, esp with what you have said about being on them previously and experiencing similar sorts of moodiness etc. Talk to your GP about this and see what they have to say. If you feel things are getting worse and can't wait for your next appt tho, ring and see if you can have a phone consultation to do this.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby armfaw » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:40 pm

armfaw
UKFM Member

Postby catscout » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:47 pm

I am on Amitriptyline and it took a good month to feel anything, I went up to 20mg as the Doctor said I could go up to 50mg without going back to him first. I still find it hard to get to sleep and I still wake up during the night, but it makes me very tired and so I can sleep when I don't need to set the alarm clock for about 15 hours. It has also taken away some of my hand pain but I think the dose will be upped as it's not making me sleep properly which was the plan of course as it's still a light sleep! I luckily haven't had any other bad symptoms but I would go back to the docs if I were you as everyone has said there are other options, it's all trial and error with any medication and you can't feel scared to say so. I do get Fibro fog pretty bad but I get that off the medication too. Good luck. xx :-)
catscout
UKFM Member

Postby armfaw » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:51 pm

armfaw
UKFM Member

Postby armfaw » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:56 pm

I also went for a cbt assessment , I have health anxiety I scored 29 and the cut of is 15..also general anxiety I scored 65 and the cut of was 45....
armfaw
UKFM Member

Postby catscout » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:21 pm

I know what you mean but I'm on so many meds I can't help but get some side effects. Sometimes it's just which side effect is worst, which can I handle as the meds seems to be helping in other ways! I always had light IBS but now have it really bad but it's because of all the meds and the fibro put together, so it's something I have to put up with as life without the meds is worse. The Amitriptyline does help with the pain in my hands and knees but doesn't help me stand up any better and even when I do sleep it's not a refreshing one and you feel like you still need lots more, but without it...!! I hope you find the right medication and can sleep better. I take me tabs at around 9 pm and still don't feel tired till 1 am so may start taking them at dinner time around 7pm to see what happens and I will up the dose to three. Good luck to both of us and everyone else. xx
catscout
UKFM Member

Postby raindaisyflower » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:19 am

I know this drug really well...my OH has taken it for 19 years for central pain syndrome..he takes 75mg ...he can not be without it...so when i was dx in may last year with FM, i was given a script for Amitriptyline 25mg..i was very scared to begin with , but i can not be without it..it does help with sleep , i do wake feeling like I have not slept , but I can not lie in bed as once I am awake, the pain is awake too! if i forget to take it , or been drinking..i don't take it ..but generally , this drugs helps, and because my OH is confident it helps , i trust it.
raindaisyflower
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication