Ran out of Codeine!!

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Ran out of Codeine!!

Postby HeppiBean » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:33 pm

I don't know what to do! I took 2 codeine earlier and thought I has another pack in the cupboard, I just went to get them to have some more and it turns out I was wrong. I'm all out! bagger bagger bagger bagger bagger!!

I'm not seeing my Dr until next friday!!

Katie. Mummy to 2 with Fibro and HMS.
Sent from my HTC One using TapaTalk.
HeppiBean
UKFM Member

Re: Ran out of Codeine!!

Postby helenfelen » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:44 pm

can you get some co-codamol from chemist to tide you over? it's the same just has the paracetamol already in it!
hope you get some relief!
:fingerscrossed:
helenfelen
UKFM Member

Postby Garyl » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:46 pm

Ring for a emergency script from Doctors, i always have a script and a half for my pain relief in hand at all times
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby Carphil » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:19 pm

Unfortunately , the co-codamol you get over the counter is not the same strength Coceine as the script doses. Co-codamol is a time release caps where as having the codeine and paracetamol separate gives hit of pain relief quickly. I have them separate as I can play with the dosage as needed.
As Garyl said. Get an emergency script from you surgery. Any doctor will do it for you.
Carphil
UKFM Member

Postby Zeberdi » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:22 pm

I have trouble getting to the Doctors and so use the email to order mt prescriptions and ask them to send them to the chemist next door for collection. Whenever I put URGENT and RUN OUT you can bet the wonderful people there get it in for me the nest chance they can. Then I ring the chemist to make sure it is there ready and go collect or send someone.

Look up your Doctors on the internet, it should then bring up info including prescriptions. you sign up for the log in and then type in what you need with intrustions on collection in a different box and forward it through.

I know Doctors won't take phone requests but if you can't do this they also take written requests. You can write one out and put it through th door out of hours and then collect it later.

Pain relief from the over counter is not as good - lower codamol - 5 vs 30 in strength. However you can take anti inlamatories AND paracetamol as long as the pain relief you take in addition has NO paracetamol then you can straddle the pain relief to give you enough cover until you get your prescription. NEVER exceed the stated does of any medication and ALWAYS check for paracetamol in any painkillers you take.

Also avoid the max strength ones - they have caffine in as the extra which isn't good for you, makes it hard to sleep and can set off a bad stomach.
Zeberdi
UKFM Member

Postby Marzena025 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:26 pm

Hi.
He writes for the first time even though I read often.
I have fibromyalgia for several years and I think that addicted to what codomal.
It's sad but true. :(
Marzena
Marzena025
UKFM Newbie

Postby kmcollins03 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:08 pm

Solpodiene max is wat I take as same a codiene & paracetamol separately
kmcollins03
UKFM Newbie

Postby missmagnum » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:43 pm

I feel your pain, try asking your chemist for emergency supply, sometimes they do it if they know you. Xx the stuff behind the counter will Be useless if your on the strong stuff.
missmagnum
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:21 pm

Katie, I hope you got through to the Dr. If not, as suggested by someone else, give the chemist a ring. They may be able to give you just enough until monday. It depends on the laws in the UK.

Do you have a weekend/after hours surgery? We have walk in clinics for after hours or as in my case another Dr is on call for my GP even nights and weekends for non emergency cases. They are able to access my file. I know over here the emergency room at the hospital will not give out narcotics unless they have access to your medical file.

Let us know how you get on.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby HeppiBean » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:54 pm

I called the doctors and they said that I had to go in and put in a repeat request which I wouldn't be able to collect until Tuesday... They say this 5 mins before they close and they're 10 minutes from where I was at the time... So I'm going in Monday and won't be able to collect until Wednesday... I'm just going to have to try and cope until then :(

Thank you all for your responses xx

HeppiBean
UKFM Member

Postby HeppiBean » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:55 pm

Pharmacist can't hand any over without a prescription :( xx

HeppiBean
UKFM Member

Postby Katie Louise » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:10 pm

Most doctors if you tell them that you have run out will try to get them done for the same day. Is it possible if you have a repeat slip to take it to one of the pharmacy and explain the issue to them x

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
Katie Louise
UKFM Member

Postby HeppiBean » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:15 pm

I don't have any slip :/ but when I go in Monday morning I'll ask what they can do. Have got some over the counter stuff for the weekend fingers crossed it will be ok. Thankfully I haven't got to do anything xx

HeppiBean
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:27 am

I would think about changing your GP. No GP would let a patient spend a whole weekend in pain even if it is the patient's fault. If the meds are on repeat prescription then all the reception has to do is print it and get a Dr to sign it. If it's not repeat then make sure that it is come Monday.

As for now try co-codamol over the counter at a pharmacy, actually talk to the pharmacist and let them know what has happened take in any empty box and script slips to show what you are on. The cocodamol that you can buy over the counter has 8mg codeine and 500 mg paracetamol per tablet. My script has 30mg codeine and 500 mg of paracetamol per tablet. I am surprised that your GP is giving you codeine without paracetamol has they work better together. I am a registered nurse so i know that some medication works better together. You may be able to get a double strength of co-codamol with 16mg codeine and 500 mg paracetamol from a pharmacist per tablet and you can take two at a time/ 8 in any 24 hours/

However if you have gone cold-turkey you are probably ready to rip your arms and legs off and anything is better than nothing for a couple of days. Ask the GP for an extra script, it may mean you have to go in again on another day and that way you will be at least half a script in front and then ask the pharmacy closes to you to collect your scripts and deliver the pills if necessary. I have mine delivered by Lloyds at no charge. if you pay for your meds you will have to pay for them at the door (i think, check as i don't have to pay for mine).

As for being addicted to codeine, me? never! I just like my arms and legs attached i find they work better that way and also the neighbours think i am housing a wild dog or monster when the pills run out, not good.
:scream-1: :scream-1: :scream-1:

i hope all this is useful, take care :grouphug: :hugs:
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby millymoodoo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:08 pm

Hi

I don't know if this might help but you can buy neurofen plus over the counter which consists of 200mg ibubrufen and 12.5mg codeine and you can take 2 tablets at a time, also if you speak to the pharmacist they may well give you codeine linctus which you can get over the counter for a cough etc but you will be asked many questions. Codeine linctus is just the liquid form of codeine full strength but if you use your regular chemist and explain what has happened and I am sure they will help.

Good luck
Milly :blowkiss:
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication