[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - gabapentin 100mg

gabapentin 100mg

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

gabapentin 100mg

Postby botty » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:09 pm

hi i have been told i have fibromyalgia. i have had ostroarthritis for years in my lower back and shoulders, also spondylosis in my neck due to wear and tear. i have been on pain killers for years burt last year was given amitriptyline 10 mg. they did no good so took 20 mg but i was waking up feeling spaced out which is not a nice feeling.
so speiclist as given me gabapentin 100 mg which i have not taken yet. reading on them it seems these tablets are for seizures
does anyon take theses tablets for sleep and pain as i dont get much sleep at night
thanks fom sue
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Additional punctuation added for easier reading.
botty
UKFM Newbie

Re: gabapentin 100mg

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:00 pm

:welcome: to our little escape from it all Sue :cow-wave: :cow-wave: With you asking about medication, I've jiffled you over to the Treatments & Medication board. It's the best place for what you're asking about, and will hopefully mean you get some helpful replies :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

Gabapentin is originally an anti~convulsant med used, often in conjunction with other meds, to prevent and control seizures. It is thought to do this by calming down electrical activity in the brain which can result in the seizures.

It has also been found to help treat nerve pain issues, such as that experienced with shingles, diabetic nerve pain and FM. It is now quite a widely used med and for some can make a real difference to the levels of pain they experience.

It tends to be started off at a relatively low dosage, which is then gradually increased over a suitable period of time until the prescribed/max dosage is reached. It needs time to fully get into your system and build up to the necessary level, so any benefits may not be felt immediately. For some it can take about a month to kick~in, but for others it can be up to 3 months for it to take effect.

Like all meds, there are potential side effects, but any that are experienced do tend to start calming down after a week or 2.

If you have look around the board, you'll find an awful lot of posts about it, some good, some not so good, as whilst it can make a difference for some, for others it has little or no benefit.

You've nothing to lose by giving it a good try, and quite possibly there could be some relief to be gained from it.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby kmcollins03 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:13 pm

As a person that used these with disc problems until after surgery three months later! Very good initially but then ended up on max 3100mg a day which gave me a lot of digestive problems along with a weight gain of 14lbs. No sleeping only 2/3hrs nightly! Was stepped down off these by gp along with Tramadol! Now on 8 x codeine, 8X paracetamol & 50mg armitriptylene along with morphine liquid as an extra on bad days! For sleep I use melatonin also to ensure 6hrs of sleep!
kmcollins03
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:07 pm

Hi and :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby sue1962 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:46 am

hi i was prescribed these. they are usually for people who have seizures, but they actually work as a nerve blocker, so basically will reduce pain. they did make me feel a bit spacey for a few days until they kick in. but i think tablets do work different for different people so you would have to give them a go and see how they suit you.
sue1962
UKFM Newbie

Postby JoanC » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:04 pm

Hi there, I have just discovered this site & from a first look - great! I was on gabapentin for a while when I was first diagnosed with a trapped nerve which they can't do anything about. The gabapentin allowed me to sleep but after a while on it, I suffered terrible nightmares. I have now swopped on to pregabelin & have been able to reduce the dosage twice through getting acupuncture, both privately & at my local NHS Pain Clinic. I also use paracetamol as I cannot tolerate anything with codeine in it. I also have sciatica & have had a bone density scan (results tomorrow) as they discovered I have a fractured lumbar vertebra. It is only through the work of the pain clinic & my own acupuncturist that I can remain positive & try to keep a smile on my face. :-P
JoanC
UKFM Newbie

Postby botty » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:35 pm

thanks for the replys i will keep in touch on this site found the site very helpfull
thanks from sue
botty
UKFM Newbie

Postby Smurfy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:25 pm

Hi I really hope Gabapentin works for you. I took it for about a year but felt really out of it most of the time. I also put on over a stone in weight. I thought it really helped my chronic spinal pain but when I came off it, I found Naproxen and Co-codamol usually take the edge off it. Good luck :)
Smurfy
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication