[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Coming off all meds

Coming off all meds

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Coming off all meds

Postby Lkilner1 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:08 pm

I'm planning an experiment to come off all my medication . I take 50mg pregabalin at night. I was on 250 but since reducing the dose , the pins and needles have reduced but pain level remained the same. I take codydromol when I need it and tramadol when pain is really bad and nothing else has helped . Recently iv been wondering if taking regular medication is causing me to feel worse . Im thinking that if I manage to go 3 or 4 weeks clear and pain is better or even just the same then what is the point of taking these chemicals ? Cos as most of us know we seem to be more sensitive to everything. Has anyone else tried this or what advice would anyone give me . I would use the first week to reduce meds gradually . Like cut pregabalin to 25 . And just take one codydromol at a time , then just one paracetomol . I'm in constant pain anyway so why not try this ?
Lkilner1
UKFM Newbie

Re: Coming off all meds

Postby MikH-D » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:22 pm

They get you to do this at the st Thomas's pain clinic,(month long) it's been proven that pain medication only works on a 6 week cycle as your body gets use to it, do what feels right for you I attempted taking medication but made me feel worse and more tired so when I dose of with my 1 year old with me within first week I cut them all out and doctor said this was a good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikH-D
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Do not.......adjust, increase, decrease or stop any medication without your Dr's. advice. It can be very dangerous. What works for one person does not mean it could work for you. We are all different.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby DRM » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:34 pm

I would def ask for your doctors advice 1st. I forgot mine on a weekend away once & ended up have a couple of fits. Be careful & good luck. Be sure to let us know the outcome
DRM
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:01 pm

I appreciate that it is ultimately your choice/decision when it comes to stopping taking your meds. However, when anyone asks about doing this, we suggest that appropriate advice is sought from a suitable healthcare professional, such as your GP. A lot of the meds used in managing FM need to be reduced gradually, at a rate suitable for the individual, to hopefully minimise any withdrawal effects experienced, as such effects can leave you feel worse than what you were previously, until the med is fully out of your system.

As well as needing to be reduced gradually, the components of our cocktails tend to need dealing with individually, one med at a time, rather than reducing all of them at once, and all within the same length of time. If not, then it can further aggravate/intensify any withdrawal effects being experienced.

:goodluck2: :goodluck2: with approaching this, I know from my own experiences that it is the only way to find out just what benefit meds give you. Should you find that things aren't going as smoothly as you had hoped, don't be afraid to acknowledge this, and if necessary, take a step or 2 back from the point you're at to get things more settled again, then maybe review your plan, and make any changes needed :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Katie Louise » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:23 pm

The doctor suggested that this might be the issue I had and took me off my gabipentin reducing it gradually over a few weeks three it's now a few weeks later and my muscles are in constantly spasms

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
Katie Louise
UKFM Member

Postby Katie Louise » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:25 pm

Sorry pressed send by mistake.
I can hardly walk because my spasms have turned into a permanently cram

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
Katie Louise
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:52 am

I'd go with the above advice to speak to your GP first, but personally I'm not on any meds at all, and I can live with it. I use over the counter painkillers, heat, hot baths, and rest to deal on really bad days, and the rest of the time I just accept that I'm always in pain.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:15 pm

it is always good to do that with the help of your gp
anyway
my tip is do it slowly and one meds at the time

when I came off tramadol it was hard at first because my body was used to be fed
now I am completely off tramadol and have to say regards pain there is no difference
I am in more or less the same pain as I was on the tabs but I deal with it differently
for me the tabs only helped a little initially and only for a short time

I even cut down paracetamol (big part of tramadol), occasionally I need to take some esp when my neck and back go into spasm
I also came off totally of quetiapine , still on a small dose of venlafaxine, still need zopiclone for sleep

on top I lost the weight I put on due the meds and fit again into my old clothes again

everyone is different
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Return to Treatments & Medication