[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Is this right?

Is this right?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Is this right?

Postby Dj 73 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:20 pm

Haven't posted for awhile but always read posts, anyway,

Went to the doctors today to ask for my meds to be put on repeat and also ask if there are any more painkillers they can give me for when I'm having a really bad time because on those days my meds (tramadol and paracetamol and amitriptyline at night) hardly touch me.

The doctor then told me I'm taking an extremely strong painkiller and the only thing stronger is morphine!!! Surely, that's not right??

On the suggestion of a friend I asked about Gabepentin and she told me that this drug works the same way as amitriptyline so I can only have one or the other!!

Any info about the combination of meds you guys are on I'm sure will help arm me against docs like these (not very helpful)

Thanks, Donna
Dj 73
UKFM Member

Re: Is this right?

Postby padders » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:31 pm

Hi I am on both with no problems. Have been on both for over a year now. I take 150mg of amitripyline at night and 8 gabepentin tablets a day. I am also on morphine!!
padders
UKFM Member

Postby Smurfy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:02 pm

Hi, I took amitriptilyne and gabapentin together without problems. However I have now come off the gabapentin, relying on naproxen and co-codamol. I too have taken tramadol and on occasion oramorph but find I'm in no more pain now but on much less medication. Def worth trying something different rather than stronger. Good luck x
Smurfy
UKFM Member

Postby Kimlew » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:13 pm

I am on 600mg gabapentin 3 times a day also tramadol for when the pain is really bad also 25 mg amytriptyline at night I also take zappiain and paracetamol 4 times a day with matrifen patches, some days the pain is bearable but on bad days it seems like nothing workes . I am Newley diagnosed with fm and rheumatoid arthritis and have also had 6 mini strokes and 2 bad strokes but I just have to keep going as I am not the person who will let it all get the better of me even though some days I can hardley lift my head from the pillow.
Kimlew
UKFM Newbie

Postby gail73 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:36 pm

Hi dj73
I was taking 8 tramadol, 8 paracetamol and 50mg amitriptyline at night, I started waking in the night and I was in more pain in the day so I went to the doctors. The first doctor I saw said the same as yours she couldn't give me anything stronger as it would be morphine and she was reluctant to do that. She suggested td "lose weight and do some exercise " I felt confused like you so I saw another doctor who prescribed gabapentin, 1 3 times a day and to carry on with amitriptyline. So far so good I'm sleeping better and in less pain. For breakthrough pain I take ibuprofen, I find it helps. I would talk to another doctor, good luck xx
gail73
UKFM Newbie

Postby Clarebear » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:46 pm

I've also been told my next step is morphine. I take tramadol, pregabalin and amitriptyline with no problems. I have bad facial/jaw pain and when it's really flaring up nothing touches it! I can take cocodamol, tramadol and ibuprofen with little effect. I've been to pain clinic and they said same. I'm in agony when it flares up bad so I dont see why dr just can't prescribe oramorph for these times?
My advice would be to change gp! Or ask to be referred to pain clinc.
Clarebear
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:13 pm

I have been told that my next steps are morphine and/or Gabapentin/Pregabalin which tbh scare the bejesus out of me. So I've been trying non~med treatments in with my cocktail. My TENs machine is my best friend, and thru Pain Management/Clinic I've had acupuncture, which I found wonderful. I just need to find a local acupuncturist that I feel comfortable with to see how things go over the longer term with it. I only want to have to consider morphine and Gabapentin/Pregabalin as an absolute last resort.

When all else fails, hug your Teddy xx

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby LibbyWick » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:54 pm

Sometimes doctors aren't always right! I take amitriptyline and duloxetine (sold as Cymbalta). It doesn't completely deal with my pain but it does help. My GP didn't know it had been approved for the treatment of pain in FM, it was actually my consultant psychiatrist who prescribed it. I have been asked by a couple of other doctors in the practice if I would consider coming off it because it is so expensive. No Way! has been my response. I can recommend you give it a try if your doctor can be persuaded to prescribe it. My GP said the next step is morphine and is reluctant to go there. Good Luck!
LibbyWick
UKFM Member

Postby loverliesgal » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:42 pm

My meds are pregabalin, paracetamol, amitriptyline and butrans patches. Tramadol doesn't work with me, and oramorph just takes me away to la la land, where I still feel the pain, but can't be bothered to do anything about it. I also have diabetes medication and meds for my stomach :( so no nurofen based pain relief for me even when it helps.

Co codamol didn't help my stomach at all. I do have fentanyl patches, but don't use them. Its horses for courses. we are all different and what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for someone else.

When I had the tmj pain the best thing that helped me was diazapam. . . it relaxed the muscles around my face, which enabled me to see a dentist. mouth guards overnight drove me round the bend, but helped, still can't open mouth very wide, but the pain is now minimal.

Talk to doc and dentist as they both should be able to help your face pain
loverliesgal
UKFM Member

Postby JessieHummingbird » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:29 am

Hi Donna,

No this isn't right, you can be on gabapenten or pregabalin AND amitriptyline- I'm on both! (& wasn't just advised/recommended to go on these medications by just one doctor, several doctors saw me whilst I was in hospital & all agreed to change my meds to gabapenten, paracetamol, amitriptyline, oramorph & MST. so it is fine to be on both. Maybe seek advice from a different doctor?

I hope you manage to sort things out!

Best wishes, Jessie x
JessieHummingbird
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:35 am

Hi....Over the 25 years dealing with fibro I have tried pretty well everything. What works for me is Fentanyl. It is very strong, more powerful than morphine. It works for me and until it doesn' heelp anymore I don't think I will be changing anything.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby silvermaneuk » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:05 am

I. Asked. My doctor for. Pain relief that was less than tramadol but stronger than standard meds like paracetomol and ibuprofen, he couldn't give me anything, but tramadol knocks me for six. Makes me sick. I ends up very desperate, as felt I was in agony with no escape and he pretty much told me morphine was the only other thing, as I can't take codeine, and I have a lot of medicinal intolerances. So I was very had to treat. In the end he out me on Lyrica, which I started last week. I am willing to try alternative therapies as well, so will be exploring those as well. I would suggest your GP is unwilling to explore your options. I was told Lyrica is expensive by my GP but he didn't seem unwilling to prescribe it to me.

I hope you find relief, I know only too well what its like not to! Xxx

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
silvermaneuk
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication