[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Gabapentin or Pregabalin

Gabapentin or Pregabalin

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Gabapentin or Pregabalin

Postby Linda1950 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:31 pm

I currently take 300mg gabapentin three times a day. My doctor told me if it doesn't work I can try Pregabalin. However I don't know if it works better as I do have pain every day although I can cope with it as long as I keep moving, but if I am on my feet most of the day I am in a bad way. Who has tried both and which works better?
Linda1950
UKFM Newbie

Re: Gabapentin or Pregabalin

Postby mellybarker » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:59 pm

I am currently on 900ml of gabapentin a day and they are doing nothing for my pain,they make me feel spaced out and i have constant headache, i feel hungry all the time so can understand why with both of the meds you mention make you gain weight, im going back to my docs and going bk on dihydracoduen cos at keast i wont end up with weight problems with them
mellybarker
UKFM Newbie

Postby DeeNJai » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:08 pm

It can take a while to find a dose of Gabapentin as I currently taking 2700mg which has helped a lot. I still get days where my spasms play up and then I take some extra. The first time I tried gabapentin it didnt work but I think that if i had carried on taking them until I found the right dose I might have had more years that i didnt have the spasms controlling me. Give ti time. My doctor would love me to come off some of my medications as I am on lots of medications and take over 30 pills a day.
Dee
DeeNJai
UKFM Newbie

Gabapentin or Pregabalin

Postby madmaxine » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:23 pm

I was on the gabapentin 300mg which did start to work but they were 2 strong & stopped me breathing at night so they were changed to pregabalin unfortunately they made me sick so had to come off those I had a break from both of them over the Xmas period I'm now started to take the gabapentin 100mg 3 times a day at the moment to see if they will work without stopping me breathing. Too be honest I think gabapentin are the best ones if you don't get the side affects :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
madmaxine
UKFM Newbie

Postby petareynolds » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:15 pm

BEWARE OF BOTH!!! Neither did anything for my fibro but both made me put on a pound a day... luckily I had the sense to stop after seven and ten days... carrying around an extra half stone did NOT help my fibro!!
petareynolds
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:08 am

How long have you been on Gabapentin?? If it's only for a short while, then it may need a little longer to fully get into your system and take effect. For some this can be about a month, whereas for others it can be up to 3 months before they feel any benefits.

With how FM affects us all so very differently, and how we respond so differently to meds and treatments, it's not really possible to say what might work better for someone. It tends to be a case of giving something a good try and see how it may help you. If there seems to be little difference, then trying another alternative can provide better results for some. However, there are some who find that trying an alternative that is supposed to be a better option to one they have tried previously, can actually be worse for them.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Monty99 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:24 am

I am on 1200mg three times a day Gabapentin and they do work, however if I am on my feet for too long then I need pain killers to sort that out. They seem to work for me and yes I have put on a little weight but exercise not only helps control that but it's good for FMS to exercise.
Monty99
UKFM Member

Postby Linda1950 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:45 pm

I have been on the gabapentin for about 3-4 months, so I will definitely stay on them longer. It would appear that most of you are on gabapentin rather than Pregabalin, so thank you for your replies. Before I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia I was in terrible pain, and at least it is bearable now, and as long as I don't overdo things it shouldn't go any worse. I have had to give up hoovering the carpet, and ironing, but fortunately I have a good husband to help with the housework. I think it is important to keep active with gentle exercise rather than sitting around, or else I really stiffen up and my pain increases.
Linda1950
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication