Doing the medication dance

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Doing the medication dance

Postby pinky1 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:02 am

Hi folks,
Haven't been on in a while. I was put on tramadol later last year which was helping quite a bit but I then I had a seizure and wasn't breathing whilst having the seizure. We think the tramadol probably caused that and that I'm going to be nose susceptible to seizures as I've had 5 since 2006. So I went onto amitryptiline and weaned off the tramadol. Met with the doctor at the seizure clinic and she now wants me on gabapentin because amitryptiline can also pose risks for people who have had seizures, it'll be used for pain but will provide se protection against seizures. So off to the doctors this afternoon.
I was very worried I would gain weight with the amitryptiline and I haven't but I know gabapentin is even worse for weight gain so dreading it. Has anyone any tips on how to beat the munchies? Have you found you've gained weight but you're not eating anymore or have you found that they increase your appetite? I'm over weight as it is. Tbh it's not just the weight gain, I worry about the other side effects but unfortunately can't function without meds
pinky1
UKFM Member

Re: Doing the medication dance

Postby Zeberdi » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:39 pm

I know it is all the rage and to be honest I wouldn't have bothered but my partner brought Garcinia cambogia supplements. They aren't expensive. They are working. From the point of view they reduce your appitite. If I take the two a day then I can keep the munchies down but if I don't take then then I notice how much more I want to eat. They are also supposed to reduce the intake of fat and help you burn more fat - no idea on that one. I did notice when I first took it I felt better and when I looked up the original uses it was for stomach problems and for extra energy. My irritable bowel hasn't been perfect but it hasn't been as bad as I would usually expect when I get stressed.

Just my ten cents worth but make sure you can take it with your doctor - I don't know of any contra indications but better to be safe than sorry.
Zeberdi
UKFM Member

Postby Libby28 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:43 pm

I've been on gabapentin from Sept ish last year suppose to be on 2- 3 times daily but am better on 1 - 3 times daily. also take tramadol & paracetamol for aches & pains as have RA as well. I have dropped dress size from 12 to a 10. Must say not noticed any other side effects, but did take few weeks/month to find right dose & mix of meds for me. Since this year I've been also making fruit & veg smoothies, putting ground linseed, pumpkin seeds, goji berries in when going to drink them. Use mainly in morning breakfast at work, use mixed nuts for snacks have good lunch with loads veg & veg smoothie at night for dinner with bit toast if hungry but usually not. I had really bad spell over xmas & new year so is really starting to lift now & is helping with brain fog. Also looking at going swimming :)
Libby28
UKFM Member

Postby pinky1 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:52 pm

Thanks for the replies folks. So far my appetite has lessened since I started them on friday. I am totally exhausted this afternoon though, woke at 5am and thought it was a good idea to start cleaning at 7.30am, very stupid. I would give anything to got to bed right now but my toddler in't up for that haha.

Zeb - I've never heard of Garcinia cambogia supplements. I would have to check with my GP like you said

Libby, I really want to get a juicer or even a new blender, loads of my friends who don't have fibro have really gotten into juicing

x
pinky1
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication