[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Amitriptyline + Migraines + FMS

Amitriptyline + Migraines + FMS

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Amitriptyline + Migraines + FMS

Postby Charlie28 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:31 am

Hello people

2/3 weeks ago I started taking 10mg of amitriptyline at night to help with migraines which suddenly started to increase after I stopped anti depressants in August 2013.

Just this weekend I woke on Sunday feeling terrible and am having the WORST flare up I've had for years. I am usually quite well, function quite "normally" - hardly have sick days anymore etc.

Does anyone else suffer with migraines when they're not on ADs?
Does anyone take amitriptyline for fibro/sleep and found when they initially started they had a flare up?? Could this be my body adapting to the drug and I will settle down??

Thanks.

Charlotte
Charlie28
UKFM Member

Re: Amitriptyline + Migraines + FMS

Postby hazely » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:23 am

Hi i have suffered with migraine for 15 years and had a bad flair but last year so dr put me on amitriptyline to help and they made me so ill i came off them after two weeks i had loads of side effects. I have had migraines a lot longer than i have had fm
hazely
UKFM Member

Postby Charlie28 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:20 pm

Hazel
Thanks for reply. Did you get put on 10mg per night? Are you on other medication? If that's too personal of course don't answer; I know different meds affect everyone differently and I've certainly been better since stopping taking ALL and ANY pills that I can, but when I had 3 migraines inside of 10 days I had to go to doc and here I am now.
Charlie
Charlie28
UKFM Member

Postby hazelaka » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:32 pm

Hi. I was put on amitriptyline and the initial few weeks were bad but as soon as they were in my system (after a month at least) I started to feel so much better. I'm now very well controlled and take upto 30mg a night to help with my restless leg syndrome. My sleep is much better now with them however, when I stopped taking them about four months ago I dud notice a dramatic change for the worse in my sleep and overall management so I started taking them again. I think it's a case of giving them time to get in your system and having to deal with the initial short term symptoms in order to reap long term benefits. Hope this helps :-) x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2
hazelaka
UKFM Newbie

Postby Charlie28 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:38 pm

Thanks - yes every reply is helpful I find.

If I really pay attention to my body, I notice that even when I take paracetemol it can affect my fibro symptoms. I try not to take anything at all. But I do love sleeping better. I love not waking every hour and I accidentally missed one tablet on Tuesday night and couldn't sleep AT ALL!

Charlie
Charlie28
UKFM Member

Postby angelainq » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:18 pm

i have been on amitriptyline for a few years and i take 75 mgs every night plus i take gabapentin 300mgs 3 times a day this works for me but every one is different. i still get migrains and still suffer big flare ups but they were worse before the meds i take now .
angelainq
UKFM Newbie

Postby dawney1962 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:36 pm

I have had migraines since I was a teenager (now 51) and diagnosed FM in 2006 after many years of "unexplained" illnesses. I take Amitriptyline (and Zopiclone) to sleep and haven't noticed that they affect my migraines which incidently co-incided with my monthly cycle. However about 10 years ago someone reccommended reflexology and I have found if I maintain regular appointments then I am migraine free. Just a thought x
dawney1962
UKFM Newbie

Postby Charlie28 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:14 pm

WOW!!! Migraine free from reflexology??? That's amazing.

My friend is trying to get me to have acupuncture but I cant really afford it at the moment. Reflexology might be more affordable. My migraines are DEFINITELY linked to monthly cycle as I can almost set a clock by them now. ug.

Charlie
Charlie28
UKFM Member

Postby hazely » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:26 pm

Hi yes i was on 10mg and only on cocodamol and ibuprofen when needed as well as cerazette. They made me so ill it was frightening. Since then i have been put on duloxetine and have had to come off them too due to side effects. I'm now just on tramadol and ibruprofen so fingers crossed im ok on these.
hazely
UKFM Member

Postby leikela » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:37 pm

I have frequent migraines and have been on amitryptaline for a few years. At one point I was taking 150mg at night but as other medications have been added it's gone up and down, now on 50mg at night. I was on them before the onset of the fibro so I'm not sure I can be too helpful! Initially try were fantastic with sleep but not so much in the 18m (when the fibro symptoms first started). I would agree that it takes a while for the body to adjust to them so it may just take time before you feel better. Might be worth asking a pharmacist or gp their advice too?

Sent from my iPhone using
leikela
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication