[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Meloxicam

Meloxicam

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Meloxicam

Postby Leannellie » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:42 pm

Hi. Does anyone take meloxicam? I've just been prescribed it for pain?! I take 200mg sertraline, which does nothing for pain but I'm a bit wary of taking meloxicam. ( horrible side effects!!) I've had 3 really horrendous weeks with relentless pain which shows no sign of subsiding as yet!! I'm sooo fed up! :(
Comfort in sound it's all around, ease back the strain, come heal your pain.
Leannellie
UKFM Member

Re: Meloxicam

Postby libbiek30 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:50 pm

Hi I also take serterline and I take amitriptyline for pain and sleep it works for me :-D
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby sticks999 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:41 pm

I take meloxicam and haven't got any side effects from it, I use Tramadol and Paracetamol for pain relief. I have arthritis and fibro.
sticks999
UKFM Newbie

Postby migrembe » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:30 pm

Sertraline is an anti-depressant, how does that help with pain?

Meloxicam is normally given for osteoarthritis never heard of it being given for Fibromyalgia before.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Leannellie » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:54 pm

Leannellie
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:32 pm

They know that Fibro sufferers have low serotonin levels in their brain and that is why they often suffer with depression. So giving you an anti depressant may help with your mood but necessarily pain. As for pain, not sure any medication really works but some help to make things more bearable. Unfortunately we rely on Dr's to cure us but they are as clueless as we are - more or less - when it comes to something they cannot see any reason for.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Minniemum » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:08 pm

I've recently been prescribed Meloxicam but I had to push for it, because My G.P. practice won't prescribe it to patients over 50; they usually just prescribe Ibuprofen or Naproxen. They say that all other NSAIDS have risks to : kidneys, liver, stomach and heart. Ibuprofen doesn't help me at all, if I take it with paracetamol it can give a bit pig relief but not for long. Naproxin just makes me feel so sick even with Omiprazole.

I find that when I take Meloxicam either at 7.5mg or15mg depending on the level stiffness in my knees and I find that it does help. I know that I don't currently have the inflammatory markers in re blood tests that would confirm
Minniemum
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:21 pm

My only experiences with Meloxicam have been with my doglet when she has needed it for problems with Arthritis, Hip Dysplacia, dislocating kneecaps etc.

Whilst it is primarily an NSAID, it also has painkilling and fever~reducing effects. It tends to start taking effect 30~60 mins after being taken.

It works by blocking the action of a substance in the body called cyclo-oxygenase (COX). Cyclo-oxygenase is involved in the production of various chemicals in the body, some of which are known as prostaglandins. Prostaglandins are produced by the body in response to injury and certain diseases and conditions, and cause pain, swelling and inflammation. Meloxicam blocks the production of these prostaglandins and is therefore effective at reducing inflammation and pain.

The only way you'll know if it is going to help you is to try it and see how things go.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Minniemum » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:43 pm

Minniemum
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:55 pm

Hope your phone isn't too dinted :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: My OH is a nightmare with dropping phones, he's had his new one less than a week, and already it's been on the floor a couple of times :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Is there another GP practice in your area that might have a more helpful approach to FM??? Having to wrangle with an entire practice must be :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :shock: :shock: :shock:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby migrembe » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:44 am

Thank you for that FP the only things that came up with for Meloxicam was use for dogs.

Sound like you need a new doctor Minnie mum, not an easy one.

My body tends to sleep but i often wake up feeling like i haven't slept because my mind hasn't slept. I have found meditation helps my over tense muscles to relax before trying to sleep. You might want to cut out any other stimulants, such as tea or coffee. I've drank either for many years so not sure if it will help but it is given as a recommendation. Also take pain medication an hour before you want to sleep, even something simple as 1gram paracetamol along with 400mg ibuprofen. Also if you want a good night's sleep then try and stay awake during the day and if you go for a nap make sure it's a short one, set an alarm so you get up.

Having worked as a nurse and had patients say to me that they don't sleep at all at night, under further questioning it appears they sleep quite well just at the wrong time of day. I am not saying that is you!

And i am pleased to announce that i have had two consecutive night sleep - it doesn't happen often.

:flowers: :hugs:
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby HazelB » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:40 am

I'm on meloxicam 15mg, but I don't take it for fibro pain, I take it because I suffer from Costochondritis and it keeps the inflammation down and prevents severe flares.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
(soft hugs)
Hazel xxx
HazelB
UKFM Member

Postby Leannellie » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:47 am

Thanks everyone. When I googled meloxicam it came up as a med for dogs!!!! Think that's what confused me!!! I'll give it a go, can only try and hey it might work!!!
Leannellie
UKFM Member

Postby Leannellie » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:50 am

Fluppypuffy is that a pic of your dog? Looks like mine but my dog is red, same face tho. So cute!!
Leannellie
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:00 pm

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication