[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Co-Enzyme Q10

Co-Enzyme Q10

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Co-Enzyme Q10

Postby FibroChemist » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:52 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've recently written an article on Fibro for my degree and came across the idea of Co-enzyme Q10 supplements as a form of effective treatment. Has anyone tried it? Or know any more about it? You can buy it in Holland and Barret but it's fairly expensive, so I'd like to see what you guys think first.

One of the papers in question is:

M. D. Cordero, D. Cotán, Y. del-Pozo-Martín, A. M. Carrión, M. de Miguel, P. Bullón, and J. A. Sánchez-Alcazar, Nutrition, 2012, 28, 1200–3. (RSC reference style)

Thanks!!

Emily x
FibroChemist
UKFM Newbie

Re: Co-Enzyme Q10

Postby angie68 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:04 pm

i asked about these before on ere..if you on amptripyline no no no...ask fluffy puppy or look in my posts for the answer...summit to with the serontin...but good o own and very expensive
angie68
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:27 am

I take them as part of a cocktail of vitamins which includes D and B-complex, have done since early last year. I don't take them every day, but probably 5 out of 7. I've definitely noticed fewer utter energy wipeouts since I started this cocktail, and generally have more energy overall to keep going through the bad days, but there's no way of knowing if its the Q10 or the general mix that's making the difference. I don't take any medication at all. Also, they can be bought far more cheaply in supermarkets than in health food stores - I get mine in Morrisons. I suspect the supermarket ones may be lower dosage, but couldn't say for sure without checking. Hope that helps.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:49 am

You are better checking how effective your diet is than taking vitamin and mineral and anything else in a supplement. Our body doesn't separate one vitamin or mineral from another but uses them all in conjunction with each other.

I am not bragging but in my former days i was a staff nurse teaching heart patients on diet and i also have a higher certificate in nutrition. Supplements are a waste of money unless your diet it really poor, then a combined vitamin and mineral supplement is sufficient. Don't forget to check with your Dr if you are taking other medication before you begin taking anything else.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:56 am

Migrembe - my diet is exemplary as I am not an idiot and can read, and as I said, I don't take ANY medication. I've have also tried all the usual recommended 'eliminations' that are bandied about for FM/CFS sufferers, with no useful results. Despite this, I have noticed a difference since taking the vitamin supplements.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby dejay » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:40 am

I remember reading about co q 10 as barbera cartland took a lot of vitimans and this was one of them( please exsuse spelling) got my fibro head on ,before her death she said that people over 60 should take coq10 as the older we get, the less our body makes, I took it for a long time, but because of cost had to stop, so I don't know if it had any effect, but I did not know that it should not be taken with amitripterline, have been on this for years, and now that I am 70 I wonder if I should take it but will run it past my dr first , by the way the sun is shining here, it makes me feel good, so no housework today, going to garden cetre with my daughter, and will be having a lovely pice of cake ,with my drink. sorry I seem to be going on a bit , lots of love I hope every one has a good day,
dejay
UKFM Member

Postby FibroChemist » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:27 am

angie68: That is really super helpful, I am on amitriptyline, I will definitely see what my doctor says, very grateful for that.

SchroedingersCat: What you've described seems to fit with the paper, and what I've heard from other sufferers about vitamin deficiencies. I haven't seen them in morrisons! Marvellous, thank you!

Migrembe: Firstly, my diet is as good as I can make it, I eat a balanced and varied diet according to what my body accepts and rejects- I have the IBS symptoms attributed to Fibro. My doctor has put my on Iron tablets and B12 injections every 3 months, but the IBS makes not taking these up properly make sense. To put things in a little more perspective I am a 3rd year undergraduate chemist, so I have an understanding of bioavailability and why/how most supplements are silly. To quote the paper i referenced earlier:

Coenzyme Q10 is a small lipophilic molecule located in the inner mitochondria that transfers reducing equivalents from complexes I and II to complex III. The biosynthesis of CoQ10 consists of multiple enzymatic steps encoded for at least 10 genes. It has been widely demonstrated that CoQ10 is essential for mitochondrial respiratory chain efficiency.

I highly doubt something like that is going to be provided by diet, in the case of FM it is more likely not enough is made due something genetic.

My qualm is more along the lines of: 'is Q-10 bioavailable to a point where it actually makes a diference', enzymes are tricksy little things and will denature very easily- the only real way I have of quantifying that is asking and reading papers.

Dejay: Can't hurt to see what the doctor says? So pleased the sun is shining for you, we had a rare appearance ourselves in Yorkshire ealier! No worries, always glad to hear when someone has a good day, you never know when your next one will be after all.

Love and spoons to all
FibroChemist
UKFM Newbie

Postby SchroedingersCat » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:36 am

Hey Fibrochemist, I'm in Yorkshire too! Thanks for quoting the paper, that's interesting :)
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:14 am

Seeing as people have shouted at me :shock: all i can say is that a healthy diet will do you more good than any added pills, the only time pills will help is if you have a long standing condition, such as IBS. With IBS and i have that too, our bowel has problems absorbing the vitamins and minerals we need. They say FMS is a disease of modern living i believe them, but our modern living has been going on since the war and changes it is difficult.

As for IBS and allergies make you sure you are diagnosed by a Dr and seen by a dietitian to make sure you are eating the right foods.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby bandj » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:49 pm

I take coenzyme q10, I'm also on amitriptylline. I didn't know you shouldn't take them together. I eat lots of fruit and veg as I'm a veggie. I also take a multi vit, milk thistle, evening primrose oil and ginkgo. I read that these could help fibromyalgia. Any advice would be helpful!
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:30 pm

For 10 years before i was diagnosed i had what was termed by the Dr as status migraines, which basically means that one migraine would go on into the next one and on and on often for several months at a time. To try and help myself i decided to change my diet, which i did quite radically from a slightly better than average western diet to an all organic vegetarian, nearly vegan diet and nothing helped. Nothing stopped the migraines until they became migraines of my body. I rarely if ever get migraine headaches now and eat what i can afford and physically cook, which isn't always that great as i live on my own. Changing my diet, taking up yoga and meditation did absolutely nothing to stop the Fibro from exploding and crippling me.

If you feel your pills, potions and lotions are helping then by all means take them but it's more mind over matter really. However a little caution; let your GP know what you are taking, do not take a multi vitamin and mineral tablet along with cod liver oil as you will be taken twice the recommended dose of Vitamin A & D and can cause liver problems, do not take St John's Wort with an anti-depressant as they work on the body in a similar way, or Evening Primrose oil with HRT. Of course Vitamin D is best got from sunshine, about 10 minutes 3x a weeks should be enough to keep you going has your body can store it. That is sunshine without any sun block! And if you do start taking anything you need to do so for at least 3 months for it to work. There are other interactions but my mind has gone to sleep :sleep:

Our bodies are an extremely finely tuned machine tweaking one thing may actually cause something else to malfunction or what i am really saying is a little caution please. I would be interested to know if someone finds that taking something really does help, honest!
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:01 pm

Angie, I foggyly remember us having some posts about a supplement being taken with amitriptyline, so did a bit of looking thru my posts and found where we were on about taking 5~htp and amitriptyline together, which can potentially cause Serotonin Syndrome, I'm wondering if this might be the one that came to mind.

Just to be sure, I asked Dr Googly about taking Co~Enzyme Q10 with amitriptyline. I haven't come across anything relating to amis, or other similar meds so far, but I'm having to limit my online time at the moment due to :hit1: :hit1: :hit1: :hit1: :hit1: so haven't been able to be as thorough as I would like to be. I have come across a few little things tho that might need to be considered by some wrt taking certain meds.

With Co~Enzyme Q-10 being an antioxidant, there is some concern that antioxidants might decrease the effectiveness of some medications used for cancer. Whilst it is currently too soon to know definitely if this interaction does occur, it is something that may need to be taken into consideration.

Co~Enzyme Q-10 seems to decrease blood pressure. If Coenzyme Q-10 is taken along with medications for high blood pressure, it could possibly result in blood pressure falling too low. It seems to be related to some medications for high blood pressure, so it would be prudent to check with a doc, pharmacist, or other suitably qualified peoples regarding any meds for high blood pressure about possible interactions.

Co~Enzyme Q-10 is thought by some to potentially increase blood clotting. If Warfarin is being used to slow blood clotting, Co~Enzyme Q-10 could potentially reduce the effectiveness of Warfarin, and therefore potentially increase the risk of dangerous clots forming. It may be necessary to have regular blood tests/checks, as well as Warfarin dosage changed to allow for this.

There may well be other potential interactions/problems with meds, as well assupplements, such as Red Yeast which is thought to possibly reduce Co~Enzyme Q10 levels, that could need taking into considering.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby migrembe » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:15 pm

Thank you Fluppypuffy that was useful :-D
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Drick » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:19 pm

Hi everyone,

No more experience on Q10 supplement?
Better to take Ubiquinone or Ubiquinol?
Which concentration? (100 mg/day seems interesting, no?)
Which brand? (so many available on the web!)

Take care.
Drick
UKFM Newbie

Postby migrembe » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:28 pm

Better not to take anything!
migrembe
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication