[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Other pain relief options?

Other pain relief options?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Other pain relief options?

Postby emmafifema » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:31 pm

Hi,

I have been diagnosed with FM this month after having 2 years of unbearable pain. It started in 2011 when I was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis and stenosis of the spine resulting in me having to have a spinal decompression and fusion. Since the operation I have had terrible pain which initially I thought to be normal as post op pain. But as time went on I realised something wasn't right.

I am on so many medications because the pain seems to have worsened..... Tramacet, Gabapentin, Meloxicam, Oramporph, Ibuprofen...plus other meds to enable my stomach to cope, anti sickness meds, anemia meds and so on.

I have now been referred to pain management clinic but I a m wondering what other pain relief methods are available??
emmafifema
UKFM Newbie

Re: Other pain relief options?

Postby Iceman13 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:43 pm

if i was you i'd swop the gabapentin for Amitriptyline as gabapentin tends to put loads of weight on the person who takes it... I was refered to pain management but what a waste of time... this is what you to cope with day to day....
Tramadol for pain
Diclofenac for joints
Amitriptyline to stop the pain singals and to ease nerves... this i have found to be the best at easing the chronic pain im get... K X
Iceman13
UKFM Member

Postby CloBeau » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:18 pm

Totally agree with you about pain clinics, but just needed to say, Gabapentin doesn't have that effect on everyone at all. I've been on 3, 3x a day for 3 months and I've lost weight. My partner is on a high dose as well, but for sciatica, and he hasn't put weight on at all after 6 months. I think it's different for everyone. Apparently it can increase your appetite like loads of meds do, you just have to be aware of it.

Some non medicinal painkilling techniques:
If you can handle it, (for some people it's too much, even on a very low setting, because of skin sensitivity,) try a TENS machine. It really works for my shoulders and back.

If you aren't already, get some hydrotherapy, it's wonderful apparently, (I'm still waiting for mine, and for physio too, have you considered these at all? I had to see a rheumatologist to get a referral.)

If you're at all capable, try gentle yoga poses and gentle stretching with any parts of your body that you can. I just do it at home, you can get DVD's and just follow the parts that you're able to do without causing too much pain. It really does get your endorphins up, you feel relaxed, happy, and proud of yourself for managing to do something physical.

Hope you find some methods to help you cope, take care xx
CloBeau
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:45 pm

:welcome: to our little sanctuary emmafifema :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

It takes a while to find the right combination of meds, treatments etc that make a difference to you. Are the ones you've mentioned your current recipe?? Just wondering as both Meloxicam and Ibuprofen are NSAIDS (anti~inflammatories) which usually aren't prescribed together, it tends to be one type of NSAID or the other.

There are alternatives to those you have mentioned which, in some cases, if one isn't particularly effective, the alternative can be. Pregabalin is an alternative to Gabapentin, Tramadol and paracetamol taken separately is an alternative to Tramacet, Naproxen is an alternative to Ibuprofen and Meloxicam.

As well as meds there are other treatments that Pain Management may be able to offer you, depending on what is available in your area. Acupuncture can be beneficial, injections into trigger/tender points or facet joints may be an option, as could lidocaine infusions. You could also be able to access hydrotherapy and/or physio which can help. Pain Management may also review your current meds and make suggestions as to what may be suitable options/combos for you to try. You may also be able to try out something like a TENs machine to see if that makes a difference.

After 14 years, I'm still juggling my cocktail and treatments around to get the best relief I can :-? :-? :-?

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby libbiek30 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:03 pm

Hi acupuncture was the best pain relief for me. I was referred by my gp to our local hospital so it was free and I had it for over a year. It also stopped migraines. I am on small dose of amiltriptiline and serterline but not bad side effect s. :-D
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby emmafifema » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:19 pm

I am taking 1 meloxicam in the morning and 1 ibuprofen at night which my rheumatologist also found odd! I have had physio and hydro - neither helped in fact the hydro crippled me for 3 days!!

I would really like to try the acupuncture as I had it years ago for migraine and at the time it got rid of them but I couldn't afford anymore treatments and the migraines came back!! So I would love to give it a go for this pain.

Just at a point in my life where I feel like I'm living every moment for the meds! I am in so much pain, I can do things but then regret it after as It can have me laid up for days....even lifting an iron hurts my arms and back!

I so need to find the right cocktail of meds to enable me to have some kind of "normal" in my life. I am also looking into getting an automatic car as my manual is becoming more and more difficult to drive with the pain in my back and leg.

Anyway enough of my whinging - I've gone well off topic lol.
emmafifema
UKFM Newbie

Postby libbiek30 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:36 am

Speak to ur gp about acupuncture I had it at our local hospital and had it for over a year. It is free on nhs :-D
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication