[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Pain Clinics

Pain Clinics

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain Clinics

Postby robbiecramp » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:50 am

Hiya guys and gals has anyone experienced being referred to the pain clinics and what is in store and how many times do you have to attend usually. I was referred to physio after assessment was given crutches and a letter was written to my GP to ask for a meds review which has happened am now on 2x500mg Paracetamol 4 times a day with 2x30mg Codeine to take as PRN with Paracetamol but find myself taking it 3 times a day as have 2x25mg amitriplyline for bedtime and am now about to start on 100mg of gabapentin 3 times a day.
Nothing is taking pain away and am still struggling to walk having to stop and cannot entertain hills in any form.
If anyone has any information on pain clinics please advise

Thanks
robbiecramp
UKFM Member

Re: Pain Clinics

Postby migrembe » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:55 am

The problem with medication for fibro is that for some people they work really well and for others they do next to nothing. I have been on an had to stop because of adverse effects; Tramadol, diclafenic, gabapentin, pregablin, ibuprofen, and amitriptyline. I take co-codamol 30/500 x2 three times a day and naproxen 2x a day. Do they work? Well some times they do and sometimes they don't. I have found meditation using the body scan helps just as much before i try and sleep and a hot bath when i want to rip my arms and legs off. Personally going higher and higher on the types of medication that you can take doesn't seem to help any better.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Keri2181 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:53 pm

You need to tell your go. I sent through years of not having the right medication. I'm now on 100mg pregabalin, naproxen, morphine, muscle relaxants called methocarbamol, anti sickness tablets, 150mg sertraline. And others for bowel problems and kidney problems. I didn't go to the pain clinic instead I went to a rheumatologist and I was diagnosed with fibro and joint hyper mobility syndrome. Worth asking to be referred x
Keri2181
UKFM Newbie

Postby gimpyphil » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:59 pm

Hi,I have been to two pain clincs,first one the doctor just came up short saying I was a liar,the second one there were five people in there,they came to the conclusion that I was in very bad pain but there was nothing they could do about it.waste of time for me but maybe not for you.Good luck :-)
gimpyphil
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:14 pm

Unfortunately service available thru Pain Clinics seem to differ from area~to~area, even hospital~to~hospital in the same area, which is a real pain in the :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon: when you're hoping to be able access and try something, only to find that it isn't available :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair:

Meds~wise, depending on the sort of relationship you have with your GP, doing your own research can be helpful, altho being mindful of how you put this across may be necessary. But looking into things, then asking your GP about potential suitability for you tends to get thru quite well. Sometimes going back to a med you have previously tried and retrying it with different ingredients in your cocktail can bring about some beneficial results.

I've just come to the end of my time with Pain Management and have found being with them helpful. Working with the physio, my range of movement, and speed at which I do something has show significant improvement, and with their help I have tightened up my pacing routine, stretching and exercising schedule, which have all help lift me to a degree. I've also had acupuncture which had me feeling better than I had done for a long time, and it's something I'm going to continue and hopefully build on :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

Have you considered contacting your Pain Management/Clinic and asking them what sort of services/treatments they could possibly offer you??

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby nkats mum » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:58 pm

It has been interesting reading these post as I have just been refered to a pain management group myself just this week. I am trying to keep an open mind about it. I have been told that I will have a one-2-one session with a physcologist, (despite the referal coming after seeing the physcologist!) then see a physio before going into group sessions. The lady said that there is usually 10 sessions in the group once twice weekly.. hope you find it works for you :)
nkats mum
UKFM Member

Postby robbiecramp » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:11 pm

thanks for all the replies have tried asking to be referred to a rhumelogist and it is falling on deaf ears apparently there is a route to get to it and I am yet not there but it is fibromyalgia that I have as did ask about possible MS symtons and this is a definite no due to no imfalmmation on top of my neck and spine and the optician who tested my eyes said not that they can register even though get pain in my eyes and have blurry vision.
robbiecramp
UKFM Member

Postby Monty99 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:45 pm

Ive been under the pain clinic for a few years and basically they try to offer you medication or other means to try and manage your pain effectively. What works for one person may not work for another and they are there to monitor and help you as an individual. It was the pain clinic that finally diagnosed me so I am more than grateful to them. I have an appointment in May which is the first in a year so they will check my medication is still working, which I am sure it is my body tells when I forget to take it! Except my night time medication that is supposed to put and keep me in stage 4 sleep as I am starting to wake up about 2/3 am so I am sure they will address that.

Go along, tell them everything you know and let them make some suggestions. You have nothing to loose and everything to gain.
Monty99
UKFM Member

Postby Kiara » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:37 pm

I'm in Scotland and i can only say that my experience with the pain clinic has been very positive. The staff are warm and friendly and i was given acupuncture for my pain, the first 3 sessions helped me but it got any after that were extremely painful and i just couldn't stand the needles so i had to stop. But the doctor has referred me on to other departments and i'm now waiting to see an occupational therapist who i think will work alongside the Rheumatology physiotherapist to work out a care plan for me, my appointment is next month. Good luck with your appointment Robbiecramp I hope that all goes well for you, hugs x
Kiara
UKFM Member

Postby Hellyn » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi, my pain clinic runs a support group course over 8 weeks for coping and physio, like the expert patient programme but better. At week 6 the friends and partners attend to learn about pain and communication to help with support and understanding. It is such a good clinic and we can access it anytime we need for support on meds, psychological support etc...and referring if needed...hope the one in your area is as good as Exeter's.
Hellyn
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication