Tramadol v Amitrypiline

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Tramadol v Amitrypiline

Postby leetankers » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:43 am

Any answers would be most appreciated...Thanks....Lee :-? :-?
leetankers
UKFM Member

Re: Tramadol v Amitrypiline

Postby rosiereal » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:57 am

I take both
rosiereal
UKFM Newbie

Postby suesweeney02@aol.com » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:01 pm

I take both .
suesweeney02@aol.com
UKFM Newbie

Postby moonstone64 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:13 pm

I take Amitryptiline only as I suffer adverse effects from tramadol. Also, Amitryptiline is taken at night to help relax the muscles as that is what it is generally used for as well as an antidepressant and a pain killer (it's a drug with 3 main functions and may be used for any of those - member of the tricyclate group of drugs). Tramadol is used as a pain killer only and has many side effects like drowsyness, nausea, vomitting, etc... It is not suited to all people. If your GP prescribes both for you to take then take them and see what happens. I take a combination of codeine phosphate, slow release morphine and paracetamol for my fibromyalgia as I have an acute form.
moonstone64
UKFM Newbie

Postby hoysey » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:25 pm

I take both, but Tramadol tends to leave me feeling hungover
hoysey
UKFM Member

Postby heatherp » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:32 pm

I was prescribed tramadol first but it knocked me out and I was like a zombie so refused to take again. Now I have amitriptyline at night just to help me sleep, and I now also take turmeric made into a paste with olive oil and black pepper, then stirred into milk and honey, this has stopped so much of my pain its unbelievable . Its all trial and error as we are all so different :)
heatherp
UKFM Member

Postby Shurdygirl » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:37 pm

Hi I've been on Tramadol for over a year now and have been ok on them & for 7mths I've been on Amitriptyline , started off with 10mg a night but now I'm on 60mg at night, to help with sleep. Side affects I get is very Dry mouth and slight headache.
Hope your ok with them, it's trial and era, everyone is different.. Good Luck : )
Shurdygirl
UKFM Newbie

Postby Mark247 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:33 pm

I used to take Amitrypiline 20mg but where I work all different shifts half the time I would feel like a zombie in the mornings. I now take 20mg Citalopram 20mg as an anti depressant Diclofenac for anti inflammatory 100mg, Zimovane 20mg sleeping tablets which I only take when I can get a full 8 hours sleep plus Tramadol for pain. The main side affects I have are Nausea, Dry Mouth and Itching
Mark247
UKFM Newbie

Postby atko64 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:35 pm

I take both. They helped for a start with slight pain relief and helped with sleeping well sort of( didn't wake up so much ). The only trouble is I'm now used to them so no longer working for me. I've got a dr appointment Monday so they may increase the meds.
I would definetly say have both as I was on just Tramadol and that didn't help at all.
I hope whatever you have will help you. :-D
atko64
UKFM Member

Postby angelainq » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:57 pm

i used to take tramadol and amittypiline but my doctor said it was better to have gabapentin with amitryptiline i find this helps abit
angelainq
UKFM Newbie

Postby olwynam1 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:46 pm

Amitrypilene was the first thing I was put on 16 yrs ago but they didn't work and had no effect at all. I have been on Tramadol slow-release now for 12 yrs and although they don't take away the pain completely it makes it more manageable and despite some people saying they feel groggy on them I have not experienced that happening and function ok on them. However, we are all different and feel it's a case of finding out what works for you on an individual level. Good luck in finding your suitable relief. xx
olwynam1
UKFM Member

Postby 2measures » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:30 am

I take both, the Amitryiline two at night to try and help with the headaches, they do but I am tending to get forgetful now. Anyway all my meds might change as I have now been diagnosed high blood pressure, 5 years down the line. Fibromyalgia the continuing story lol xx :-D :-) Think positive, that's the only way you are going to cope. C xx
2measures
UKFM Newbie

Postby tabithakat64 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:35 pm

I take both too. 100mg Amitriptyline and two 50mg tramadol tablets four times a day.
tabithakat64
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication