Duloxetine (cymbalta).

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Duloxetine (cymbalta).

Postby Gizmo01 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:32 pm

Hi I've been on tramadol for about a year and a half and my fibro flares are getting worse and more often so my doc has that I should try cymbalta but when I've researched this it's very worrying as the word suicide and self harm comes up a lot in the side effects, I've had severe depression in the past and I'm scared that it may affect me. Is anyone else taking these and if so how have you been with them.
Gizmo01
UKFM Member

Re: Duloxetine (cymbalta).

Postby leigh73 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:47 pm

I'm on duloxitine have been for 2 weeks now. I find they help me sleep but without the dreariness of amytriptoline that I had terrible side effects on. They are spose to increase serotonin levels. But as with all medication everyone is different on them. I'm pleased I'm on them. I only take tramadol as & when for migraines now. I'm also on fentanyl patches for back pain.
leigh73
UKFM Member

Postby maxinevalentina » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:32 pm

Iv just been put on duloxetine 60mg
but my docs won't give me any painkillers because of my age (21)
I go in to the docs crying in pain and they do nothing
Everything over the counter isn't strong enough .
When I get new meds I always look at the leaflet and it scares me the side effects there are so many .
you'll never know how strong you are untill being strong is the only choice you have
maxinevalentina
UKFM Member

Postby diaryroom » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:35 pm

I was on Pregabalin but had to come off it because of weight gain. Has anyone had a problem with this on Duloxetine?
diaryroom
UKFM Member

Postby LibbyWick » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:09 pm

I've been taking Duloxetine for about 3 years now and would not consider stopping it. It really does help the pain. It hasn't taken all pain away but it is very good. I also take Amitriptyline. Again it really does help my pain. I recently started having a severe headache, some days so bad I couldn't move. GP recommended taking more Amitriptyline, which I've been doing during the day. Taking my usual dose in the evening. Plus 1 tablet in the morning and another in the afternoon. Yes, I'm fairly zonked out but pain level is now more livable with. I had to take medical retirement so it isn't as if I have to get up and go to work ..... for those of you who don't have an understanding employer and a pension plan I have no idea how you manage. I used to work so hard to keep on top of my job that I ended up working evenings and weekends (keeping it a secret so boss didn't think I couldn't cope). Until I had a complete breakdown ........ You don't want to go there if you can help it!

I no longer look at the side effects of drugs. It will either make me feel worse or feel better or have no impact at all. Yes, I've gained weight over the last few years but honestly beating myself up over it just makes me depressed. I no longer get on the scales. I eat healthily. Some times my clothes are tighter, so I cut out carbs for a week or so until I feel more comfortable again. My depression score is very high but having help from a psychiatrist and a psychiatric therapist has given me tools to return to. Going on a Coping with Depression course has also helped. Having supportive friends and family has also been theraputic (although some friends have had to be pushed back a little as they can be very demanding if they also have health problems :nono: ). Sometimes one has to be selfish and concentrate on helping Number 1. :oops:

I don't know if that helps but I can certainly say from my perspective Duloxetine and Amitriptyline have been life savers. All the best in finding what helps you. Don't worry about side effects unless you begin to feel there's something wrong. Gaining weight, as long as it isn't to a morbidly obese level, isn't always a bad thing. As my GP said "if you have a bit of extra reserves it's better for you if you get an infection. You have more resources than an underweight person. Also, if prone to falling over a cushion of fat to land on is better protection for your bones" ...... And plump people have less wrinkles than underweight people, :lol:
LibbyWick
UKFM Member

Postby anteucke » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:53 pm

I have been put on Duloxetine and for me they have been a miracle. In 3 months I have LOST a 21lbs, nerve pain has decreased and my mood has improved especially my labido much to the delight of my husband! It has also stopped my costrochondritis pain which I have suffered with for 5 years.
anteucke
UKFM Newbie

Postby Shurdygirl » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:33 pm

Hi I was on duloxetine and it didn't do anything for me, I had it for depression as I didn't know about FIBRO then but it didn't help with my sleep or my pain, didn't have any worries with side effects, but as I also say everyone is different and not everyone reacts the same.
Good luck with it tho x
Shurdygirl
UKFM Newbie

Postby littlemac0191 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:37 pm

I agree regarding duloxetine, been on it now for over a year. Yes there are side effects but like was mentioned not everyone suffers these, I dont read them either. I found the opposite with libido unfortunately and as my husband is also on duloxetine it is a bit of a problem. I have gained weight but try to eat healthy. I also used to need the toilet loads and was prone to dribbling ( aargh, makes me sound really old) the duloxetine has halped and i no longer need tenna pads. I used to take amytriptaline as well but cannot stand feeling like a zombie, i take dihydrocodeine together with paracetamol, it also boosts the effects of the duloxetine. I am no where near pain free but at least I can think a bit straighter, until the fibro fog that is. lol. give them a go i say and then decide. god luck
littlemac0191
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Thu May 08, 2014 7:55 pm

I was put on Cymbalta because of a suicide attempt, but my GP now thinks that it is that which is causing all my migraines, about 4 a week currently. Be aware is all I say. xx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication