[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - What do you take

What do you take

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What do you take

Postby babymable » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:52 pm

When my doctor diagnosed me a few weeks ago she basically said there's no cure for it other then pain killers and that was it. I requested to see a Rheumatologist so she is referring me to one. But my doctor never offered me anything. I am already taking Butrans patches 20 mg as I have bulging discs and the pain from that is unreal but the patches aren't helping at all. I have another appointment with the Pain Clinic in April so I am going to mention Fibro to them and see what they say. At the moment my hands and feet are killing me, I had CT surgery on both wrists 3 years ago but I feel that pain is coming back. What have you been prescribed, is there anything you can think that I would benefit from ?

Thanks
babymable
UKFM Member

Re: What do you take

Postby leegould1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:33 pm

Hi

I know how you feel i have had fibromyalgia for 6 Years now and i am on lots of pain medication after trying all different combinations i found the ones that's work best for me. This still does not stop the pain what so ever but just numbs it. IM on paracetamol, naproxen, lansoprazole, oxycontin, citalopram , oxynorm, pregabalin and fentanal patches.

this might not be the right combination for you, but it has been ok for me for the past 2 years problem with this is addiction. Hope this helps in some way.

hope you feel slightly better soon.
leegould1
UKFM Newbie

Postby babymable » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:19 am

I'm on the Butrans 20 mg for my back pains, Fluoxetine for the depression, Quinine for Restless Leg, Mebeverine for IBS, Pizotifen & Sumatriptan for Migraines, Folic Acid tablets and my 2 inhalers. I also have to take Co Codamol 30's when the pain gets really bad.
It's the pains in my hands and feet/legs that are hurting the most lately and it's driving me nuts. I just hope the pain clinic can sort something else out that will finally help with it.
babymable
UKFM Member

Postby littlemac0191 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:54 am

My Rheumatologist told me when I was diagnosed that nerve pain killers are the ones we need. The Pain Management Team at your local NHS hospital should help, mine did. There was a lot of meds i couldnt tolerate, they made me dolally. I stick to Duloxetine for depression and pain, and Dihydrocodeine with paracetamol to boost them. It doesnt take away the pain but at least I am not away with the fairies all the time. good luck
littlemac0191
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:32 pm

I've moved you into here with you asking about meds as it's a more suitable board :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

What your GP said about there being no cure FM is right (at the moment,) with management of the condition being the best approach we have at the moment.

Meds~wise, there are a number of types that can be used, quite often together, to try and get things behaving more suitably, and it's not unusual to be on a cocktail of meds to try and get some relief. These types often incl painkillers, anti~depressants that have also been found to help with sleep and pain issues, anti~convulsants as they have been found to help calm the electrical hyperactivity in the brain responsible for sending out the misfiring pain signals, and other things such as relaxants to help ease some of the stiffness. This has more info about some of them.

As well as meds, there are non~med treatments that may be of benefit. Quite a few of us have found a TENs machine can bring some relief. Applying heat to affected area can help, using things like heated wheaty bags that can be zapped in the mikey, hottie botties, and heated pads. Even applying a gel rub, such as ibuprofen or arnica, can help localised areas. For the past few days I've had a pulse~like throbbing in my lower right arm that my meds didn't touch at all, so for the past 2 days I've been applying arnica gel to the area, and it has helped make it more manageable so I've been able to get a few things done that I wouldn't have been able to manage if I had left it to just meds.

You may be able to access things like acupuncture, hydrotherapy, and physio, as well as pain/FM~related courses and talking therapies thru your GP and/or your Pain Management Clinic/service, all of which can help form a part of your FibroToolKit. It does seem to vary area~by~area as to what is available.

Having a talk with your GP should be able to give you an idea of what you might be able to access. And meds~wise, if you try an approach such as you've been looking into meds, and you were wondering if a particular one/type would be suitable for you to try can often get things moving in a better direction than the one they are currently heading towards.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Kimmy xx » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:48 pm

Hi there,
I know exactly how you must be feeling. I've recently had a spinal fusion with having had two metal rods and four metal pins, inserted into my vertebrae. I've been told that I've got recurring L5/S1 lateral canal stenosis with degenerative retrolysthesis. On Wednesday, I my right hand done for carpal tunnel release and in six weeks, I'll have my left hand done. I was only diagnosed in October with FM, following my mother being taken seriously ill.

As for pain relief? Hmmmm, that's a very tricky one. I was tried on all sorts of meds, including the patches. Like yourself, I had no relief. I was finally put on sevredol and was taking 120mg a day. The thing with severdol(morphine) is, it's highly addictive, it doesn't do FM any favours at all but, it was great for the relief of my sciatica and back pain. The withdrawals are awful,too. I've finally completely weaned myself off of these now with the help of introducing Tramadol SR 200mg twice a day. My medication I'm now taking is, paracetamol, Naoroxen, Gabapentin, Tramadol SR and Senna.

I've recently been put on a course of Amocycilin for a throat and ear infection. The thing with these strong meds, is you don't know when other things are hurting(if that makes sense). I went to my GP as I was feeling sick, not eating, going dizzy and had high BP. When he checked my throat and ear, he said they were both angry and had infections in them. I would never have known, I didn't feel a thing. Quite scary, huh!!

I rely hope you soon find a suitable relief and can somewhat, be eased from your pains. It's all trial and error and so very frustrating. Good luck and keep in touch :) xxx
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs clearer for easier reading.
Kimmy xx
UKFM Newbie

Postby jenfitzy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:02 pm

I take tramadol, paracetamol and amitriptyline, as I have asthma a lot of painkillers are unsuitable for me, however these do not control the pain, some days I'm unable to do anything, even getting up is a struggle. Although I suffered this for over 15 years, it was only last year a new GP told me what I had :(
jenfitzy
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:27 pm

After 25 years of meds for fibro, I found that a lot either did no good or added extra symptoms.

For the last 8 years I have been taking wellbutrin and Fentanyl patches 150mcg/hr

The thing with asking others what they take is that it may not be what your body needs. We all seem to take a different cocktail and strength of medication.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to Treatments & Medication