[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - change from amitriptyline to nortriptyline

change from amitriptyline to nortriptyline

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

change from amitriptyline to nortriptyline

Postby Wackers34 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:47 am

i have been on amitriptyline on and off over past year and a bit with my fibro or CFS - Still not sure which I actually have...Doc has now taken me off it due to lots of mouth and throat problems

I have just started on nortriptyline, I didnt have a break inbetween - i did cut down to 20mg amitriptyline and then did a straight swap onto 20mg nortriptyline - however I just can't sleep...with ami i could sleep a bit, but with nortriptyline i feel wired, i feel anxious, heart racing, all sorts...could this be withdrawl or perhaps side effects...I dont want to have to go to the doc yet again, she is starting to get a bit fed up with my several returns...

Has anyone else tried nortiptyline - has it helped sleep - what are your experiences

Thanks
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Re: change from amitriptyline to nortriptyline

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:05 pm

When I swapped from amis to noris, my GP said I may feel worse initially until I get used to the noris being in my system. Even tho they are very similar to amis and you can swap straight over from one to the other, a little time is needed to get used to them. If in doubt tho, and you're reluctant to see your GP, asking your friendly~neighbourhood pharmacist (as Lisa has suggested) would be a sensible thing to do.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Wackers34 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:09 pm

ok - thanks everyone - I might do that

With the noris did you still take them in the evening?

Its prob side effects then and something I just need to get through :)
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:18 pm

Yes, I took them at the same time as my last dose of meds each night. Same with the amis when I was on them too.

It may well be side effects, which should start to ease off after a while. If not, or things are making you feel more concerned, then consider going back to your GP, just to be sure about things.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby angejane » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:54 pm

I have been on amitriptyline before and went onto nortriptyine. After a few days I ended up with a red itchy face and red hot ears. I went to to the doctors a week later who told me to stop taking them straight away and to take antihistamines for 2 days. I am now trying pregablin. I had to wait a few weeks to go on this though to make sure the other tablets were out of my system.
angejane
UKFM Newbie

Postby Strawberryswing » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:37 pm

I took Amitriptyline for a couple of years. I was changed onto Nortripyline when Amitripyline became ineffective. I take 75mg at night usually 2-3 hours before bed and I manage to get some sleep. The only side effect is a really dry mouth. I forgot to take it on Sat night and had an awful night. The side effects are different for everyone but if they are troublesome I would ask your pharmacist or GP.
Strawberryswing x
Strawberryswing
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication