[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Physio

Physio

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Physio

Postby DeedleDee » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:26 pm

Hi all,

Been going to physio for four weeks now and doing twice daily exercises and can honestly say I feel no different. If anything I'm more tired throughout the day. I often struggle with the exercises but always give them a go. All my stretches and physio visits are tailored to the correct level and how I've been that week but I'm not noticing a benefit! I'm taking time off work (which I have to work back) to do this and physio reckons weekly for 3-4 months. I've had two flares since going and am really starting to wonder if it's worthwhile.

Am I banging my head against a brick wall, or am I going to eventually get somewhere with this? If anyone has any experiences that might help would be good to hear.

Thanks
D xx

catch the moments as they fly, and use them as you ought....
DeedleDee
UKFM Member

Re: Physio

Postby denys » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:05 pm

Another one that is right for some and not for others, have you explained to the physio that you dont feel you are gaining anything :?: :?: :?:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:08 pm

It can take a while for you to start feeling a difference, but it can help improve things. I did a 6 week pain management program which involved working with a physio, and altho I still felt pretty much the same as I did at the start, and I had a pretty nasty flare along the way, when it came to the end of the sessions when times, distances, weights, number of reps etc were measured again, the group as a whole had doubled what they could do from the start of the program.

Have you spoken to your physio about how you're feeling, what you are thinking etc??? If not, it might be worth doing so and going thru things to make sure that you're getting the best from them, as well as the exercises being the right ones for you.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby DeedleDee » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:16 am

Thank you. I've not spoke to her but will do. She was manipulating my back and hips last time I was there which has left me in a lot of pain :cry: I just don't want to go through all the extra work to make up the hours and extra tiredness if it's not helping me. I know it's different for everyone so might speak to her next time I'm there.

Thank you xx
D xx

DeedleDee
UKFM Member

Postby LindaF » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:08 am

Hello
Have had mixed results with physio but tend to go with slowly slowly. Had very good physio at the Hospital for Integrated Medicine in London where the physio was experienced in mayo fascial relief. You could ask for this but also ask your physio what experience she has treating people with fibromyalgia ?

Perhaps if you went every other week working on your exercises in between could be a good option.
When I was being treated by a local physio who wanted to treat me twice a week, I declined as knew that was too much for me.
The exercises I was given were core stability and Pilates rather than conventional fitness exercises

Have had good success with pain relief and relief of symptoms by seeing an osteopath- I go to the British School of Osteopathy in London and have had excellent results helping me recover from a very bad flare and also inexpensive.

Hope this is helpful sometimes we are the experts on our bodies and need to dictate the speed and level of treatment

Gentle hugs and be as well as you can be

LindaF
Be as well as you can be. Love and gentle hugs LindaF
LindaF
UKFM Newbie

Postby rolsy66 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:38 am

Hi all,

Just wanted to say that after having surgery, physio never worked for me, it has been said that physio doesn't work on us fibro sufferers!
rolsy66
UKFM Newbie

Postby littlemac0191 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:32 pm

Hi there, I started Physio two years ago and very light walking, it doesnt make the pain go away but helps me mentally, it makew me really tired and when I am having a flare up I can hardly even walk but I keep on at it. It gets me out of the house, I meey up with my friend, some days I only manage very slowly for a short time and have to have a sleep after every session. I still feel it is beneficial to me and has taken me a long time to get to this point. I am certainly worse if I get no exercise at all. Give it a go see how you get on is always my moto.
littlemac0191
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:51 pm

Certainly is a good one to have littlemac, for us its a case of you never know till you try we cant rely on other peoples experiences and you do 'never know' it just might be that breakthrough that we are all looking for :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby DeedleDee » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:35 am

Thank you all for takin the time to reply :-D

I'm very back and forth with this but I'm going to speak to my physio and see what she says.

Thanks again
D x
D xx

DeedleDee
UKFM Member

Postby DebiP10 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:01 am

Before being diagnosed, 2 years ago i was getting physio on a weekly basis with exercises to do at home ( mainly focused on my neck area) and i persevered with it from November to April and it didnt help me, it aggravated my condition and made me have more pain. In the end as they was no improvement i was discharged. Now ive been diagnosed my rheumy has wrote to my Dr suggesting getting me a referral to hydrotherapy so im waiting to see what happens with that. Dont push yourself or cause yourself more discomfort than you already have to put up with x
DebiP10
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication