[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - What is Gabapentin's Use?

What is Gabapentin's Use?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What is Gabapentin's Use?

Postby NicS » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:58 am

What does Gabapentin do? Sorry if that makes me sound a bit thick. Ive only just been told I might have Fibromyalgia. I've tried Amitryptaline (not a nice experience for my brain). Then the Doctors have tried me on Nortryptaline (no pain relief) so they've changed me to Gabapentin. 5th day in and the pain hasn't gone away. Taking two tablets a day now. How long does it take to work? And is my dosage too low maybe?
NicS
UKFM Newbie

Re: What is Gabapentin's Use?

Postby NicS » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:58 am

Hammer to my whole body and head today.
NicS
UKFM Newbie

Postby pjgilston » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:13 am

It is a very low dosage I know someone who is on 2700mg a day
pjgilston
UKFM Newbie

Postby Diane64 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:15 am

Hi.. Although gabapentin is widely used for seizures/epilepsy, with fibro it works on nerve endings and can dull the pain you might be experiencing, its possible it may take a while for the meds to kick in and or get the dose that suits you.

I was taking them for nearly a year and came off them a couple of months ago due to concerns of weight gain, however I now don't believe it was them that was giving me the weight gain as didn't loose any weight after I stopped. On saying that though my pain is no different really with not being on them as when I was, I have good days and bad as I did when taking them, so possibly they didn't work for me but at the minute not choosing to ask for alternatives and finding just normal painkillers will see me through and thinking this might be a really crap sore day but tomorrow might not be so bad. Di.
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby Marky Fibro ME » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:42 am

Gabapentin works by dimming down the pain receptors in your brain. It has a cumulative effect but the dosage has to be built up gradually to allow your body to adjust to any side effects. I take it alongside Tramadol & I can vouch that it works! I started on 1 x 100mg capsule 3 times a day & I have built up gradually to 700mg 3 times a day. (My doctor wants me on 900mg). Each time I up the dose, I feel dizzy & a bit slow. But this doesnt last long. I would recommend that you persevere because the real benefits start to kick in at around 400-500mg 3 times a day. I also have a diabolically painful trapped nerve in my neck causing incredible screaming pain down my arm. Gabapentin alone has stopped this pain by 98%, enabling me to get on with my life while I contemplate surgery to my neck. I also know a lady who swears by this drug as it resolved her excruciating Trigeminal Neuralgia.
So stick with it, & give it chance to build to the right dosage for you.
Good luck.
Mark x
Marky Fibro ME
UKFM Member

Postby wanderingstar » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:01 pm

Hi there,

I am currently on 3600mg of Gabapentin a day, I believe it has had an impact on my weight gain but also he general inactivity due to pain hasn't helped either.

It took ages for the Gaba to build up in my system, at first it felt like I was behind a frosted glass window watching the world go by, everything felt numb but that only lasted about a week. I can say that after being on Gabapentin for over a year now, it really does help to manage my pain. I am also using Butrans patches for the breakthrough pain.

about 3 months ago I ran out of Gabapentin over a bank holiday weekend so for 3 days I had none, I can't tell you how awful I felt, sick, shakes but also the pain came back with a vengeance. I couldn't believe how bad the pain actually was, so clearly the Gaba works.

Give it a shot, thats all you can do and if it doesn't work tell your doctor and try something else.

Good Luck xxxx
wanderingstar
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:38 pm

As has already been said, Gabapentin is thought to work on calming the electrical hyperactivity in our brain/bodies that is responsible for the misfiring signals that make us experience the pain~side of things.

It needs time to build up in the system and take effect, which is achieved by dosage levels being steadily increased over a suitable period of time. For some it may take about a month for the benefits to be felt, but for others it can be up to 3 months before anything is felt/noticed.

One of the known side effects of the med can be weight gain, but it doesn't always affect everyone and to the same degree.

If the med is just stopped, it can cause some horrendous withdrawal effects, even if it is just for a short period of time like wanderingstar has explained. So for coming off it, the reverse of what happens when starting to take it is needed, with dosage levels being gradually reduced over a suitable period of time.

It can be a particularly effective med for some, so it is worth giving it a good go to see how you get on with it. Side effects may be experienced during the first few weeks, but these generally tend to ease off as you get used to it being in your system. 5 days in may well be too early to feel any benefits just yet, so try and persevere with them.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby rbevli » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:51 pm

I have been taking gabapentin for a long time now.Haven't really noticed any let up in the pain.I recently stopped taking tramadol so I could start on acupan.The withdrawal from it was horrendous.So I'm quite concerned to learn that the gabapentin has bad withdrawal symptoms. them

I am currently taking 28 tablets each day.I have tried cutting some of them down because they make me feel quite ill, but the pain is unbearable when I don't have them.FM is a terrible disease which has an enormous impact on people's lives.For a while I felt very sorry for myself when thinking about the things I can no longer do.Nowadays I try to concentrate on the things I can still do.
Hugs to all my fibro friends
rbevli
UKFM Newbie

Postby suesweeney02@aol.com » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:34 pm

hi I take gabapentin started on low dose but now I take 400mg per tablet 3 tablets 3 times a day = 3600 mgs every day. still have pain everyday... I sometimes think its not worth taking but what would my pain be without them... I take Tramadol and other tablets aswell.. Hugs to everyone Sue
suesweeney02@aol.com
UKFM Newbie

Postby olwynam1 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:14 pm

Hi, I went for a pain management assessment today and got talking about medication, I am on tramadol slow release but was given Gabapentin as well to take with the Tramadol. I stopped the Gabapentin as it had no effect at all. The Doctor at the pain management clinic said that he wasn't surprised as Gabapentin isn't particularly good for fibromyalgia pain and that tramadol is much more effective??!! What are people meant to think with all these conflicting views from different medical practitioners?
olwynam1
UKFM Member

Postby NicS » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:04 am

I think I just have to accept I'm going to always be in pain. :cry: that is difficult to accept.
NicS
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication