[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - ANYONE HAVING SIDE EFFECTS ON GABAPENTIN?

ANYONE HAVING SIDE EFFECTS ON GABAPENTIN?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ANYONE HAVING SIDE EFFECTS ON GABAPENTIN?

Postby The Fizz » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:24 pm

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I was prescribed Gabapentin for fibromyalgia and sciatica. (I have taken amitriptyline for a number of years and recently added Baclofen to the list). I had to increase the dosage gradually so I didn't feel drowsy or nauseous. The doctor wanted to see me as the consultant had written to her about the dosage. It wasn't until I got home that the penny dropped and that the gabapentin were causing problems. I have recently had a very sore tongue as if someone had used an emery board on it and has ulcers on it. My chest has been very sore and I've had a cough; I also feel like I've got pharyngitis. - I don't normally suffer with chest problems. I wish I'd realised this before the doctor prescribed me a higher dosage. I don't feel like taking anymore tablets, although I know I have to do it gradually. I'm worried about going back to the doctor as I don't want her to think I am messing her about.

I also wondered whether there is anyone taking amitriptyline for muscles spasms or nerve pain in larger dosage to help with fibromyalgia?
Thanks.
"The Impossible Just takes a Little Longer" - Art Berg
The Fizz
UKFM Member

Re: ANYONE HAVING SIDE EFFECTS ON GABAPENTIN?

Postby Marky Fibro ME » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:44 pm

No problems here.
Been taking it for a while now. Makes me dizzy for a while each time I up the dose, but doesn't last long. Im up to 700mg 3x a day now & I'm working up to 900mg.
Marky Fibro ME
UKFM Member

Postby The Fizz » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:57 pm

I guess I must be one of the unlucky ones. :-?
The Fizz
UKFM Member

Postby angelainq » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:54 pm

ito take gabapentin 300mg 3xdaily my tongue was exactly the same when doc put up my dosage but its ok now . my doctor tells me to take it easy when he increases my meds because of side effects if any / so all i can say is try to see if any side effects go or if not see your doctor also i take amyrtriptiline 75mg and it does help . :
angelainq
UKFM Newbie

Postby praline » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:03 pm

I was on it between beginning of December and end of January - from 300mg to 900gmg by the end week - I felt awful from day one, really sleepy, muddling my words (more than usual!) losing my balance easily, falling a few times, confused and it made me super anxious, paranoid, suicidal and depressed. Never again. :crazy:
Waiting for official diagnosis but it all makes sense now..its not in my head..it was always real..
praline
UKFM Member

Postby madmaxine » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:37 pm

Yes I've ad side affects not pleasant ones either. They stopped me breathing in the night so I was gasping for breath. That was on the 300mg and the 100mg. Now I'm not on them anymore. I'm stuck with nothing :-((
madmaxine
UKFM Newbie

Postby Peghie » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:47 pm

I have been on Gabapentin for three months now and had no side effects taking 1200mg a day. :)
Peghie
UKFM Newbie

Postby jojoc1711 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:05 am

Hi
I;m on 2600mg per day of Gabapentin, the only side effect i have, which incidentally seems to be common knowledge in the medical profession, is weight gain, apparently many medical disciplines know that it is "Weight positive" which means it adds weight :(
jojoc1711
UKFM Newbie

Postby The Fizz » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:47 am

The Fizz
UKFM Member

Postby The Fizz » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:52 am

The Fizz
UKFM Member

Postby The Fizz » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:54 am

The Fizz
UKFM Member

Postby The Fizz » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:56 am

The Fizz
UKFM Member

Postby madmaxine » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:04 am

Unfortunately I have bad side affects with the other tablets I've tried I'm on Celebrex 200mg twice a day & Quinoric 200mg a day co-codamol & Oramorph for pain but not allowed to take Oramorph at night when I need it the most. I have trouble walking because of pain in back hips legs & feet. I don't get much sleep now so I just plod a long. I fed up with this pain I have forgotten what it's like not to have pain. So until they come up with something I'm stuck like this :-(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
madmaxine
UKFM Newbie

Postby mrselizabeth » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:13 am

Hello..i have been on Pregablin for 2.5 years, doctor will not take me off them even though I have told him they do nothing for me. Only thing they have done is, muddled speach, increased my weight, bloated stomach, make me dizzy, and about 2 hours after taking them I feel as if I am drunk. And he wanted me to take Amitriptalene too!! I refused them and taken myself off Pregablin. I dont have the feel of being drunk, not dizzy, bloated stomach gone down. I am still in loads of pain but feel better if you understand that? I have even been told I look better..I will be writing to my rheumy, to tell him what I have done ,and will see what happens.
mrselizabeth
UKFM Member

Postby Amberk » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:28 pm

I used to take gabapentin, it was changed for pregabalin a couple of years ago. I have gained weight, but from the lamitrogine (i have bi-polar). I cant say any real side effects...
how well they work I'm not really so sure like many other meds, but i can just about get out of bed most days.
Amberk
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication