[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Long term steroids

Long term steroids

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Long term steroids

Postby paulfoel » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:34 pm

Are there issues with this?

Wife is not too keen. Mainly for the weight gain thing. I do try and argue that if it makes her slightly better then she may be able to get out and about a bit more for exercise so overall it might be better.

But shes also concerned about long term steroid use. She was on steroids for the entire time she was pregnant recently (for asthma).
paulfoel
UKFM Member

Re: Long term steroids

Postby whoami » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:48 pm

Ihave never had steroids for long. How long has your wife taken them? How long will she be taking them?
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:08 pm

With you also mentioning steroids in another post, I've replied with a linky that might be helpful for both of you :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Garyl » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:56 pm

Lisa a friend just had a course of aforementioned steroids and his is for inflammatonary back prob.

I have them after kicking and screaming as you say for Asthma not the best tablets to take not just for weight troubles they can cause, but other reasons
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby Carphil » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:44 pm

Oh boy. I was on steroids for nine years for Polymyalgia. Most of that time was spent trying to reduce the dosage and eventually come off them!!!
Besides the huge weight gain.......over five stone! There was bloating, facial hair growth and so many other side affects that as good as the drug helped me cope........reducing the drug was not only unpleasant but my whole body was in pain with every reduction which took up to four months to get used to before the next reduction. It was a nasty cycle of reduction,pain get used to pain and next reduction. Some times the pain got too bad and then I had to be put on to higher doses to help and then start the reduction all over again!!!
My rheumie finally got me off them by reducing every four or five months.......it took years.
Now I am steroid free for two months and my meds are changed to cover the Fibro more than the poly. I haven't lost any weight yet due to meds but hope it will over time.
If you need to be on them then please try and not stay on them too long. They can cause so many other problems in the body.
If you do have to stay on them then try and cope with the lowest dose you can and make sure you see your doctor monthly so they can monitor what's happening. Xxxx
Carphil
UKFM Member

Postby paulfoel » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:08 pm

paulfoel
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:58 pm

As Lisa said, fibro doesnt respond to steroids as it isnt inflammatory. So maybe he's hedging his bets which isnt much good for your wife :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Maybe ask him when you go back why he thinks they will help :?: :?: :?:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby paulfoel » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:58 am

paulfoel
UKFM Member

Postby Debs1967 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:57 am

I was diagnosed with fibro5 years ago, my inflammatory markers are always raised, I have lupus symptoms but do not test positive for it. That aside I was proscribed Arcoxia just recently. It works for me by lessening the constant feeling of illness. Its an anti inflammatory. It doesn't do anything for my pain.
Your wife may have another disorder running along side the fibro
Take care
Debs1967
UKFM Member

Postby Ted_Hutchinson » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:50 pm

Ted_Hutchinson
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:39 am

High doses of Vit D are not good for you and I question some of the research you have posted about on the forum Ted_Hutchinson
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby paulfoel » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:43 am

paulfoel
UKFM Member

Postby paulfoel » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:45 pm

paulfoel
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication