hydrotherapy

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

hydrotherapy

Postby daddyvic » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:44 pm

Hi, I had my first hydrotherapy session on Monday and since then I am in agony with my legs and hips(I have excessive bone growth of my ball and sockets and arthritis of both hips). Don't know what to do? Should I cancel my next session because it hurts so much and not even the morphine is helping! Sorry to winge just don't know what to do.
daddyvic
UKFM Member

Re: hydrotherapy

Postby FibroEllie » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:51 pm

Sorry to hear you're in so much pain. Why not contact the therapist? They might be able to say why you're in so much pain.
Ellie
FibroEllie
UKFM Member

Postby Hannah24 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:49 pm

Hi,

Can I ask how you went about getting hydrotherapy? I didn't even know about it until recently and whilst it hasn't been too great for yourself I would love to give it a go. Try anything once!

Due to the fibro I have put on loads of weight, which doesn't make life any easier plus everyone keeps telling me that exercise should help with the pain. I have tried all sorts without success but I also don't have the funds to pay for anything. When I went to the nurse (who was supporting me with weight loss) she said there was nothing available. She recommended me not to do any gym based and understood the difficulties of walking. She thought swimming would be a good idea but said that nothing like that is offered under the NHS. I am wondering whether this would be an option available but without asking the right questions then you don't get the right help.

Before the fibro I had lost 4 and 1/2 stone and after put it all back on plus and extra 2 stone. I started weightwatchers on referral and lost 3 stone but in the 6 weeks since the vouchers have stopped I've put on a stone. I was doing so well till this point. It didn't help that the end of the vouchers coincided with a bad spell. I know people may argue that why should the NHS fund it but if I was a druggy, smoker or alcoholic then they would bend over backwards to help. This hasn't help my mood or my health and if I have to do this alone then hydrotherapy may help me incorporate some exercise into my lifestyle and in turn help with the weightloss.

Any advice would be great.
Cheers Hannah x
Hannah24
UKFM Member

Postby Roger Rabbit » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:16 pm

Hi. you sound similar to how I was after Hydro. 1 hour of Hydrotherapy in the morning, left me in crippling pain by the afternoon and two days stuck in doors, either in bed or on the sofa. I did see the 6 week session out to prove to myself to see if I could work through the pain and see if things improved. Things got incredibly worse and by the last session all I could do was relaxation techniques in the pool. It was such a shame I was really looking forward to it and really wanted it to work. The pain was terrible.I hope you are feeling better soon.

My GP referred me for hydrotherapy at our local NHS hospital, I had t go to an appointment/medical to be assessed to see if I would benefit from it. Just because I have not benefited from Hydro does not mean that someone else won't. Remember, Fibro sufferers are all different!
Roger Rabbit
UKFM Member

Postby topcatt72 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:00 am

Hi....
it sounds like u have femoral acetabular impingement like i have....i had an op on my left hip 2 take some of the extra bone off my socket only prob was cause of the severity of my hypermobility in my hips downwards they couldnt take alot off....so still had pain...had another op last yr to tidy up hip and still painful ....but now my right hip has started getting painful due to the f.a.i and for me its a severe pain on top of the fibro pain.....i know my hosp has stopped doin the op but hopeing another will.....at end of day with the pain i get im prob looking at a full hip replacement and im only 41..... hope yours gets sorted out cause having fibro is bad enough without the extra pain on top... :-) :-) :-)
topcatt72
UKFM Member

Postby teddybear7 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:20 am

Hi I start my hydrotherapy in May. Not looking forward to it now. Hope your feeling better soon. I also have other things wrong with my legs I hope it doesn't start it off. I'm also at weight watchers and have lost 2 stone. You have your books it should be ready for you to continue yourself if you need the discipline of the weigh in get a friend to do it at a regular time each week. That way you will have another form of encouragement and support. Keep cheerful. T. Xx
teddybear7
UKFM Member

Postby hdmd » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:06 am

Hi there. I was so glad to see this post re hydrotherapy. I was in agony after mine for over a week and didn't go back. I was a good swimmer prior to all this. Now walk in water only.
hdmd
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication