[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Prozac for Fibro?

Prozac for Fibro?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Prozac for Fibro?

Postby lynn56 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:40 am

My doctor wants to put me on prozac anyone else taking them for fibromyalgia and do they help I thought they was for depression
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split off from topic it had been attached to and retitled.
lynn56
UKFM Newbie

Re: Prozac for Fibro?

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:35 pm

I've split you off from where you had originally made your post Lynn as what you are asking about is something different to what the original topic is about. I've also moved you into here as it's a more suitable board.

Prozac {Fluoxetine} is used in managing FM in a similar way to other anti~ds such as Amitriptyline, as they can be effective, even if the person is not truly depressed, by improving sleep and breaking the vicious cycle of sleep disturbance and pain.

It has been mentioned on here a number of times, if you use the Search box in the top right corner of the page, it should bring up all mentions of it.

Like many of the other things used in trying to manage FM, it needs time to build up and take effect, which can be about a month to 6 weeks{ish} and also, what may help one may not be as beneficial for another, so try to keep your mind as open as you can and give it a good go, you never know, it could be something that makes a nice difference to you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby lynn56 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:11 pm

Thank you for the reply have been a fibromyalgia sufferer for14 year's have tried most things gabapentin amatriptalin and pregabalin also injections so will consider giving prozac a try thank you so much
lynn56
UKFM Newbie

Postby jenfitzy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:24 pm

I can only tell you about my experience of Prozac, I was put on this after my diagnosis, I took 2 tablets then had a really bad reaction to it. I was absolutely terrified, of what I don't know, I couldn't move, talk or do anything. I have never been so scared in my life and it took many hours to ease. My GP (who didn't prescribe it) said this is a common side effect and many people can't take it for that reason. Since then I have been taking Sertraline and have been fine. As I said that is my experience, many people take it with no problems :goodluck2:
jenfitzy
UKFM Member

Postby libbiek30 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:43 pm

I took it for anxiety and found it really gud only down side was it effected my sex life so changed to serterline they r gud too x
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby Lisa_mulholland » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:41 pm

I think mostly everyone is on some sort of anti depressant.
The thing is there I'd a lot of stigma anti depressants aren't just for those depressed although with Fibro pain and depression go hand in hand.
I attended the pain clinic years ago because I have problems with my jaw etc ( TMD ) and wide onset pain they put me on Mitazipine 45mg I swear by them.
I take one every night and the good thing about them as well is they help me sleep which means I have one less tablet to take,
With everything it is trial and error and nothing will work the same for everyone.

Don't be ashamed to say you are on anti depressants there is nothing wrong with saying you are I'll and your prepared to try anything to help you feel better xx
Lisa_mulholland
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication