[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - treatments? medications?

treatments? medications?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

treatments? medications?

Postby calamitygayn » Thu May 08, 2014 2:41 pm

Hi...I have been diagnosed with fibro and cfs for 8 years. I have co-codamol on repeat prescription and that's it. My gp doesn't believe fibro exists and its just understood that if in pain.....you can take these.
However, its not the pain as much as the pure exhaustion causing the problem atm. I work anything from 11 to 14 hours a day, 5 days a week and until recently, up til 9:30pm each Saturday. (Im a childminder) as soon as the last child leaves, I go to bed. Im missing my own kids and feel life is escaping me. My gp says its depression and im on the max dose of antidepressants. ..ive decided to wean myself off of these as im no better taking them than not!
Are there any meds available? I thought there was nothing I could do and had no options in my healthcare so just threw myself into work...
any information would be appreciated! Ty
calamitygayn
UKFM Newbie

Re: treatments? medications?

Postby gazmo87 » Thu May 08, 2014 6:29 pm

There is no particular medication to treat all sufferers ad we are all different, I would suggest pregabalin aka lyrica as a starting medication as its the go to med for sufferers. Didn't work for me but works for many with FM. Also working that amount of hours with FM is an achievement you should be proud of, if I over do it physically I end up in agony for a week, so well done there!
Gaz is about peace and love, in a non hippy way :D , hear to chat to if you need me
gazmo87
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu May 08, 2014 7:02 pm

As Gaz has said, there isn't one particular med or treatment for FM or CFS, and due to the number of symptoms and associated conditions that can tag along with them, it's not unusual to find that a cocktail of different things to deal with them develops over time.

Maybe have a looky at this It explains about some of the various treatments that can be used in trying to manage FM.

Is there a different GP that you could see that might be more helpful??? If not, then maybe taking a different approach with your current one could help. Sometimes doing some research then going to see your GP with it and taking a more direct, yet still respectful approach can help change things. It's not always easy to do at first, but once you do manage it, it can help make a difference to your patient~GP relationship.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Theresa34 » Thu May 08, 2014 7:20 pm

I take tramadol and ibuprofen for the pain. I also take ranitidine to protect my tummy from the ibuprofen from stomach ulcers. I take vitamin D as I was low in it which most fibro people are. I also take Amitriptyline in the early evening which helps me sleep. I was told that it would also help with the morning stiffness and pain but it doesnt. I continue to take it as its the only med that allows me to sleep otherwise I have horrendous insomnia. I was referred for physio and had my first appointment about a week ago.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby calamitygayn » Thu May 08, 2014 8:27 pm

Thanks for all your help. Will make an appointment to see another gp in the surgery next week I think and in the meantime try and find time to do some research. Ty loads xx
calamitygayn
UKFM Newbie

Postby migrembe » Thu May 15, 2014 1:37 pm

You are working too many hours and even someone who is able bodied would find those hours punishing. As for pills, many will help because we believe they do not because they actually do, as although the pain is real in the mind there is no damage to the body. However our co-morbidity rates can be up to 25% higher than someone without FM; high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, heart disease, etc. As for vitamin D being, if you get a test done in Dec it will be if you live in the UK or any country that has little sunshine in the winter months, add to the fact that when you are in pain and exhausted physically getting outside in sunshine, no sun cream, can be a trial in itself.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication