[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Amitriptyline

Amitriptyline

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Amitriptyline

Postby carolad » Wed May 21, 2014 8:20 pm

If I take it about 6pm, I will usually get to sleep around 11pm...though it doesn't always work like that. Sometimes I'll pass out about 9.30 for a couple of hours and then wake up again! Or I can lie until 1,2am before I can sleep -mostly depending on pain levels that day.

I wake up at 7.45 am...it does take me a while to wake up properly (I have 3 alarms!) but by 9am I'm usually feeling 'with it' :)

Another thing I like about it - it makes me sleepy and relaxed, even if I can't actually sleep. So I never have that horrible thing of lying awake worrying or thinking about things - or thinking that you need to sleep NOW because you have to get up in x hours! There is absolutely nothing going on in my head at night once I've taken my meds ;)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Wed May 21, 2014 9:55 pm

I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Wed May 21, 2014 10:00 pm

I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Wed May 21, 2014 10:03 pm

Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Spooky0115 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:34 am

Late response to Idparker.......I take Amitriptaline at 7.30 in the evening.Have to take it earlier otherwise I feel very drugged in the morning.I have two young boys to get to school so I set my alarm for 6.15 am.I get up & make myself two cups of tea then I watch the news until 7am. I wake my boys.This gives me a good half hour somrtimes 40 minutes to lose the groggy/hangover/drugged feeling.By 7am I am good to go.I've been doing this for three yrs.
Spooky0115
UKFM Newbie

Postby Lindilou » Thu May 22, 2014 9:40 am

Lindilou

Postby carolad » Thu May 22, 2014 10:47 am

carolad
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu May 22, 2014 11:29 am

Whilst for some, taking their amis not too long before they go to bed helps them, for others this approach doesn't help. Whenever anyone asks about the best sort of time to take them, the regular sort of advice includes taking them a couple of hours before going to bed, taking them earlier in the evening, or taking them around 12 hours before the time you will be getting up at. It's a case of trial and error to find what suits the individual.

If there are any concerns about taking a med at a different time to what is stated on the prescription, then do seek advice, either from a GP, pharmacist or other suitable peoples, before making any changes. I'm aware that some meds need to be taken at particular times, some must not be taken specific times before/after other types of meds, and that some must not be taken together, so checking is always worthwhile, as all that may be needed is a bit of twiddling and tweaking of things to get them in a more suitable order to all help with getting some improved :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

As well as a dry mouth, one of the most common problems mentioned with Amitriptyline is the morning~after zombification. Taking them at the sort of times already mentioned can help reduce this effect, altho it doesn't always work for everyone. Plus Amitriptyline doesn't always suit everyone. If anyone finds that the side effects are too much to contend with, or that amis don't seem to suit them, an alternative to ask your GP about is Nortriptyline. It's a sister med of amis that is said to be better tolerated and have fewer side effects. With them being so closely related, generally it is a straight swap from one to the other. However, for some, coming off amis before starting Nortriptyline may be necessary, so do ask about this if at any time the need for change should arise.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby ldparker » Thu May 22, 2014 6:26 pm

Hi all those you have replied re ami & thyroxine - I take 30mg ami every night and just been reduced to 125mg levothyroxine per night. I get up right on time as such a light sleeper but feel exhausted all day. Feel I could fall asleep on my feet sometimes. Getting up is never a problem, although I'd love to stay in bed so I'm up & awake and doing routine from getting up at 7am. But once I'm at work, I am just so tired. The GP doesn't seem to know what to do as I need drugs to get me to sleep and keep asleep but it makes me tired all day. I think I will start bringing the time of taking ami earlier in evening and see if it makes any difference. Thanks everyone for your helpful comments.
ldparker
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu May 22, 2014 6:35 pm

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby ldparker » Thu May 22, 2014 8:17 pm

ldparker
UKFM Newbie

Previous