[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Hydro Therapy

Hydro Therapy

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hydro Therapy

Postby Crafty_Lady » Fri May 30, 2014 12:14 pm

Hi everyone

I just wondered if anyone has had Hydro Therapy? From seeing the pain clinic man he said for me to have this and my first appointment is next Wednesday. Feel a bit worried about going, but i shall see what its like.
Crafty_Lady
UKFM Member

Re: Hydro Therapy

Postby soretro » Fri May 30, 2014 12:42 pm

I am in the middle of hydrotherapy - was recommended to me by a physiotherapist as treatment for arthritis in my spine. I also have fibromyalgia. I go to a hospital by Mile End and the session lasts about half an hour - can be less if required. The pace is set entirely by what you are able to do and there is 1-to-1 interaction with a physio in the water. It's not a class where you're all having to do the same thing. It's completed tailored to match your problem areas and goals :-)
The warm water is fantastic - I find anything cold tends to make me tense up my muscles, which of course creates more fibro pain.
The heat of the water certainly helps the muscles relax and it's easier to attempt movements - also a lot of pressure is taken off from joints as the water takes the weight off the body.
I have found it great so far and am motivated to try continue with a heated pool afterwards.
Just go at your own pace, be honest with what you can/can't do and think about what movements, parts of your body you'd like help with.
It helps to be specific about how you have problems with moving, where the pain is primarily and what actions trigger the pain :-)
Good luck!
soretro
UKFM Member

Postby trish1999 » Fri May 30, 2014 12:43 pm

I found it totally amazing and go 3 times a week at my local pool. it's the only thing I can do exercise wise :-D
MY HOUNDS ARE MY SANITY
trish1999
UKFM Newbie

Postby flashsjill » Fri May 30, 2014 1:25 pm

Hi, I have attended hydro for the last six weeks, the only negative I have found is that it really tires me out and I have to spend the next day or two in bed, I don't know if it has particularly helped me or not. Don't be worried about going though, they work at your pace. Don't forget you are weightless in the water so take first few sessions easy.
flashsjill
UKFM Newbie

Postby bouncer0304 » Fri May 30, 2014 2:45 pm

I was given 6 sessions and i only made it to number four. It made things 10x worse for me sadly. The lady was very proud of what i'd done but she said in some cases it does have the opposite effect. She actually stopped it because she saw how much pain i was in. Please give it a go as it may work for you but for me, it felt like i was moving like a rusty grinding gear. Water was lovely though and the staff were lovely :-)
bouncer0304
UKFM Member

Postby redhead » Fri May 30, 2014 3:29 pm

I want to try this, is it free on nhs in England as I can't work and can't afford it?
redhead
UKFM Member

Postby Princesslaulau » Fri May 30, 2014 10:27 pm

I am about to start my six week course next week at Colchester hospital, I'm a bit worried as I'm not sure if it will help or make things worse but I'm glad they have given me the chance to have go. I'll report back on how it goes. xx
Princesslaulau
UKFM Newbie

Postby teddybear7 » Sat May 31, 2014 12:32 am

Hi I got 2 sessions via the hospital. Half hour each. There were 4 of us per session and we all did same thing. I enjoyed it but was exhausted after. They do tell you, you will be. Don't feel personally any different seem to get same benefit from just swimming. X
teddybear7
UKFM Member

Postby zoomie » Sat May 31, 2014 4:42 pm

I had one course a few years ago and just about to start another one in a few weeks, I personally love the freedom warmer water gives, your weightless so don't have to worry about your legs feeling heavy etc. Each course is 1 on 1 with a physio therapist and tailor made to sit your needs/abilities. I find it so much of a benefit I'm currently saving for a hot tub so I can do some exercise in it :) xx Hope you love it and it helps you xx
Fibromyalgia comes in many shapes, sizes and abilities... DON'T DISCRIMINATE!!!!
zoomie
UKFM Member

Postby Jo90 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:18 am

I'm lucky enough to live by the sea and I've noticed that I feel much better after a gentle swim. I don't feel cold because I wear a wetsuit and the buoyancy of the sea water helps.
Jo90
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:18 pm

redhead it depends on where you live, some areas have it and its generally a 6 week course and yes its usually free
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby wornoutbloke » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:02 pm

wornoutbloke
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication