Tramadol now schedule 3?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Tramadol now schedule 3?

Postby Tally1068 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:09 pm

:-? I've been on them for 4 years and do find they work. It dulls the pain, but not eradicated it.
It's a nuisance and I don't know what I'd do if I had to sign for them. I haven't walked for 7 months since breaking my back. Osteoporosis
means it isn't healing so every trip requires someone willing to take me and my wheelchair to the surgery.
I had my monthly prescription reduced from 300 caps to 200. No trouble so far, but it means the pharmacy has to make the delivery more often....every 25 days. It's miles away as I live in a very rural area, so yet more expense for the medical bods. Why is it restricted? It's never made me "high" and I'd never take it if I didn't need it.
:crazy: Isn't there some way of determining who needs it for actual clinical needs rather than for recreational purpose (though why anyone would take them if they didn't need them is beyond me).
Tally1068
UKFM Member

Postby ouchisme » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:08 pm

i had no problem with getting my repeat from my chemist... was delivered this morning and just the norm signature not another one needed. I was worried that i would have to do x,y,z til i could have them. But i have been taking them for some time now
Had symptoms for 5yrs. Dx February 2011
ouchisme
UKFM Member

Postby MrsK1806 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:42 pm

Hi,
I collected my repeat as normal last week. They changed Tramadol over on around the 13th June so the change had already happened when I put my repeat in. All I had to do was sign for collecting my prescription from the doctors (receptionist gave me a form to sign) and the pharmacist dispensed my prescription with no other questions or forms to sign.

I'm on 400mg of tramadol a day (mixture of slow release and normal) so there over 150 tablets dispensed but no questions. I work in the community as a carer and we had all been made aware of the change and the changes to our working guidelines so I was expecting more 'control' procedures but it was very straightforward. I did question the GPs receptionist as to whether I needed a review or appt before my next prescription but she said that I didn't need anything else and just to put my prescriptions in as normal, the only other change will be that you now only have 28 days (instead of 6 months) to get your prescription dispensed.

My brother is a pharmacist and said that the reason that Tramadol has been made a Class 3 is due to the amount of cases of it being used illegally to get high and the amount of deaths that have happened through it being sold / traded / dealt / taken illegally.
MrsK1806
UKFM Newbie

Postby HazelB » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:20 pm

I got my repeat tramadol without any problems... Nice chemist even delivered it to the house for me

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
(soft hugs)
Hazel xxx
HazelB
UKFM Member

Postby Chickenosaurus » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:25 pm

Hi Fibroised - you may be another in the 'fast metabolizers' club! I had tramadol for a few years and couldn't understand why people said it was so strong and knocked them out - for me it was like taking a couple of ibuprofen. It wasn't till I was doing a course on 'Drugs & the Brain' that I came across the wide range of responses to certain drugs because of genetic variability of enzymes in our liver.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2007/0801/p391.html

I really think this should be more widespread knowledge as I've had doctors insist that Tramadol is stronger than co-codamol 30/500 when I've said that I found the co-codamol much more effective.
Chickenosaurus
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Treatments & Medication