[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Tramadol adjustment period

Tramadol adjustment period

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Tramadol adjustment period

Postby JDWench » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:35 pm

I generally try to steer clear of pain meds as they tend to not agree with me. It took my body a good few months to tolerate codeine without making me sick or completely lethargic.

The pain in my legs has become so bad my gp prescribed 100mg Tramadol every 4-6 hours. I only started it yesterday and have been taking it every 6 hours. I'm having the usual side effects: Vomiting, nausea, loss of appetite, dizziness and extreme fatigue and lethargy.
I know this is fairly common and would like to know if anyone found a way of dealing with your body adjusting to medication?

I'm going to attempt some soup. If nothing it's good for weight loss ;)
Help me raise money for Reach http://www.justgiving.com/Sadie-Scott1
JDWench
UKFM Member

Re: Tramadol adjustment period

Postby SianneArtarian » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:59 pm

Tramadol make me feel sick sometimes too. I am prescribed Co-Codamol and after three years they still sometimes make me feel ill if I haven't eaten or had enough sleep. My brother gets Tramadol because he has Crohn's Disease and if I run out of meds he will give me some but I try not to take them if I can help it. I do however feel that they are slightly more effective for my pain than my own painkillers. You will eventually build up a tolerance for them but I would star with taking half the dose for a few days and build it up, if your pain is too much you can always take another if you need it. My Gp won't give me Tramadol or Diazepam "because they are additive" - so he gives me opiates (Co-Codamol) instead! Sometimes I feel like shaking him lol :D

Unfortunately because you haven't taken many painkillers in the past your body might need a bit of time to get used to Tramadol as they are quite strong. Just try to build them up slowly, but if you try for a week or two and find you really cannot take them go back to your GP and tell them. Dont take them on an empty stomach and if you are a smoker and you feel sick on them having a cigarette can bring on vomiting sometimes so try to abstain till the dizziness subsides.

Sometimes I wonder if all the medication I am prescribed does more harm to my body than Fibro lol :/
SianneArtarian
UKFM Member

Postby danaanglia » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:14 pm

I am on Solpadol 30mg/500mg I am unable to take tramadol I also take amitriptyline at night to help the nerve pain and better sleep my consultant at the hospital wants me on 75mg at my own pace.
danaanglia
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:40 pm

I don't have a problem with painkillers. I didn't realise how badly it can affect someone. I think if they made me as sick as you, I wouldn't go near them. I understand though, that you're in pain. But will they work when you're vomiting them up?
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby JDWench » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:44 pm

Solpadol is the last thing I had a reaction like this to. I'm just trying to ease myself slowly in to it so when the pain gets bad again my body will know tramadol and there will hopefully be less side effects.
Tramadol is working wonders so far but I can still feel the cramping and joint sponginess.
My doctor is concerned I may have nerve problems in my back as it is always my legs so I should be having an appointment in the week.
JDWench
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:05 pm

If you are feeling nauseous, try taking it with food, however if you are being sick when you take it then you should stop it and go back to your GP. I can't take it, it never stays in my stomach long enough to be of any use.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:05 pm

You could always talk to a pharmacist to see if there is anything OTC that could help make the side effects more manageable. Alternatively, when you see your GP aks if there is anything that can be prescribed to ease things for you. Generally side effects tend to start easing after being on it for a week or so.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Eyeballs » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:41 pm

My wife takes TAPENTADOL, oromorph,Amitriptyline, Diazepam,Gabapentin and soluble paracetamol plus various other non painkiller tablets. Her GP prescribes cyclising for nausea which has always helped.
Eyeballs
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:53 am

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby CareySue » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:18 pm

Have you tried a lower dose; you can get Tramadol in 50mg capsules. Also ask your doctor for an anti-emetic (anti-puke). Always take tramadol with food too (even a glass of milk will help!)
CareySue
UKFM Newbie

Postby JDWench » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:31 pm

Thank you, I've been having them with toast or soup and the vomiting has stopped, nausea is almost completely gone and although I'm still unable to stay awake for long periods I'm much more alert.
Still waiting for a call to be assessed at the surgery at the moment.
JDWench
UKFM Member

Postby smig » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:33 pm

Hi, I have my rhumatologists appointment mid August but needed to go back to the gp for something to manage the pain as it was mentally getting me down too.
The gp has put me on Tramadol 50mg, 2 every 4 hrs and also 1 Amitriptyline 10mg last thing at night. I have to say that the Tramadol do take most of the pain away but the down side is that I am like a zombie lol.
Is this because I am new to Tramadol, please tell me it gets better lol.
My main concern is my job, I work in a safety critical environment and don't feel that I can safely do my job whilst taking these sort of meds.
smig
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:20 pm

It's good to hear the Tramadol is making such a difference to you :clap: :clap: :clap: Hopefully it will carry on like this for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

The zombification could be due to being on Tramadol, how long have you been taking it??? The other cause could be Amitriptyline as one of its notorious side effects is how it can leave you feeling the morning after. This does tend to ease off, but for some it may not go entirely. Juggling the time at which you take it at night can help reduce the morning after zombification. Some find that taking Amis 2~3 hours before they will be going to bed can help. For others, taking it with their evening meal is what helps, whereas for some, taking it around 12 hours before they will be getting up is what they need.

It might be worth advising your employer about what you're experiencing side effects~wise. There may be steps they can put in place to help you carry on.

If you find things aren't improving zombification~wise, an alternative that works in the same sort of way but with fewer side effects may be needed.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby JDWench » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:54 pm

Tram adolescent is working without side effects now yay! Saw my gp yesterday he is one of the few good docs at my surgery it's so hard to get an appointment. He thinks my discs have slipped in my back and are compressing some of the nerves making it painful and hard to walk he also says my ligaments are weak due to hmm and has referred me to MATS at hospital. I also have a blood test on 28th. Hopefully I can get sorted. Also have my first walking stick. I'm a bit gutted that I'm falling apart as I'm still young but I'm pleased things are finally being deal with.
JDWench
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication