[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Zanaflex (Tizanidine)

Zanaflex (Tizanidine)

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Zanaflex (Tizanidine)

Postby tenko81 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:29 am

Hi, I'm new here and was wondering if somebody might be able to help me. I'm currently trying to persuade my doctor to prescribe me Zanaflex, which is a muscle relaxant. Having read that this is readily prescribed to fibro patients in the USA I asked him about the possibility of getting it here in the UK. I was told it was not licensed to be prescribed for fibromyalgia and he could therefore not prescribe it. I told him that I could get it off the internet and he said that was my choice to take and he'd be interested in the results and whether it helped. I've been ordering it off the internet for a year now and have gradually built up to 6mg a day, which is still a tiny dose. However, I've been told that customs are cracking down on importing drugs from overseas and are seizing packages. I've had a couple go astray and think this has happened to some of mine.

Taking this medication has improved the quality of my life so much that I really want to keep taking it but don't want to keep ordering it off the internet if my packages are not going to get through. So, I've been back to my doctor and told him all this. He was very interested that the drug had helped me and said he would look into whether he could prescribe it. However, I'm still waiting to hear and keep being fobbed off. I think he's reluctant to prescribe it without knowing of any other UK doctors who are doing the same for their fibro patients.

I've seen from some people's posts on here that they are getting it prescribed. I'd be extremely grateful if anyone could offer me any advice as to how they persuaded their doctor to give it to them. And also if anyone was willing to let me know either their doctors/consultants name or whereabouts in the UK they live that would be even more helpful. I realise that because I'm new that nobody knows me and you might be reluctant in telling me confidential information about their doctor, etc. If you could send me a PM then that might be better.

I think it's so unfair that muscle relaxants are not prescribed here in the UK for people with fibro. It's standard treatment in the USA. They really have helped me so much and I've been able to cut down on the amount of pain killers I take as a result. My main problem is extremely tight and knotty muscles in my back, particularly my shoulders which give me tension headaches. The Zanaflex relaxes the muscles and therefore I feel less pain. The drug is not expensive and I've even offered to pay and go private but still no luck.

Hope somebody can help.
tenko81
UKFM Newbie

Re: Zanaflex (Tizanidine)

Postby redhead » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:52 am

I take amyriptyline which is also a muscle relaxant, if this helps x( on prescription)
redhead
UKFM Member

Postby tenko81 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:50 pm

Amitriptyline is not strictly a muscle relaxant. It's an anti-depressant which does relax the muscles a bit, similar to dosulepin which I also take. Zanaflex is a proper muscle relaxant, which is far better (in my opinion) at relaxing the muscles. I really wish the UK could catch up with the US on this. We are so far behind in treatments. So many people are suffering when they could be helped a lot. It's not for everyone but it's certainly helped many and has definitely helped me. Just wish I could make my doctor see this. Thanks anyway.
tenko81
UKFM Newbie

Postby tenko81 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:54 pm

tenko81
UKFM Newbie

Postby tenko81 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:39 pm

Thanks again Lisa. I will certainly email them to see what they have to say. I'm not sure if I'd be up to travelling to London for an appointment but this doctor looks very knowledgeable, so he could be someone that my own doctor could contact as well.
tenko81
UKFM Newbie

Postby iblinkin » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:34 pm

Hi tenko81 and welcome aboard! A lot of FMS (fibromyalgia) patients are not aware that we need Magnesium and potasium as well vitamin "D" in our diet to ward off a lot of the effects of FMS! These are extremely important things to look at as well as our food diet which certain foods are triggers such as night shade foods. I stopped eating potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and so on and it has made some difference in the way i feel and the side benefit was i lost 16 pounds! We need magnesiun and potasium for muscles and is what's needed to relax our muscles. I take Neuro-Mag which obtainable in the U.S. and this item has worked better than the regular magnesium off store shelves.. my spasms have been reduced quite a bit. Potasium you can get from eating bananas daily and potatoes are loaded with it but once again they are a nightshade food. Sweet potatoes are very good for us and we must a lot of greens to lower our ph levels so we don't get alot of the shocks and pins and needles and gout. Also vitamin D should be taken in liquid form (D drops) not pill form as the pills do not work as well about a 30% absorption rate which is very low. Good luck and gentle hugs to all of our FMS soldiers.
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby Mcclungt5 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:23 pm

I've been on Tizanidine for over a year my consultant Rheumy px it after I asked him for it, my Rheumy advised me to look on the Lupus and Fibro uk websites ( I have both) regularly as you can get good up to date info from them he said they are trusted sites and I may hear about new medications on them that I might want to try it was on this very site that I read about Tizanidine and at my following appointment asked to go on it, I'm now px 24 mg daily it doesn't help with my spasms but it does help me get some sleep 3/4 hours uninterrupted which is a lot as I was getting about 15 mins every hour prior to Tizanidine ask to be referred to a pain clinic or a Rheumatologist it's not an expensive drug so I can't see it being anything to do with cost my Dr was asked to px me MST granules however the budget holder for my GP surgery refused as I had no difficulties with swallowing as it cost around £500 for a month supply for my dose so the budget holder and Dr and pain clinic came up with alternatives for me to try I hope you get it soon GPS can px drugs off licence and this is what they are doing when they px Tizanidine for ppl with Fibro as it is actually for ppl with MS HOWEVER AS USUAL trials in the USA have found it helps ppl with Fibro
Mcclungt5
UKFM Member

Postby tenko81 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:42 pm

tenko81
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication