Tremadol

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Tremadol

Postby painprincess1 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:52 pm

So I'm off at last and boy even just one a day made a big diffrence.today is first day off all of them. And I really know about it,
Dizzy can't get my words out and flu feeling.
Just on paracetamol . I'm just hoping dr can find me something not so bad to come off of .
Because right now I am in a strange head space where I'm not really here , can't say I like that much.
:crazy:
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Re: Tremadol

Postby paininthebum » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:00 pm

I don't know if I could manage without my medication and like most of us I'm on shed loads. Hope you find your happy medium. And if you are lonely in your strange head space you can always come over to mine!!!!! :crazy:
paininthebum
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:03 pm

I don't know what problem it caused you but I've recently stopped taking it due to severe constipation. I've since read that other painkillers can cause it too, so out of fear I'm not on any. I can live with the pain but not being bunged up for weeks on end :oops: :shock:
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:34 pm

I've never suffered the constipation problems with any painkiller but had to stop the tramadol because every other week I'd spend 2 days Vomiting so hard I'd be sicking bile then I'd spend 3 days with torn muscles from retching too hard.
Truth be told they helped with the pain a little but downside wasn't worth it. Never noticed any problems stopping them either just stopped no withdrawal problems.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:11 am

Ty for replys , I've been on them for nearly 5 years so stopping for me was hard going there's a lot of u tubes vids on ppl who try to get off them. I no I'm in a lot more pain without them but I just have to give it another week before I make my mind up.as was said all meds can give u probs
Maybe better the devil u no I'll wait and see xxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby Jacky55 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:01 pm

Hi. I'm on 8 tramadol per day, so that's 2x100mg 4 times a day. I recently went to see my GP who told me this is the max dose. I can't take codeine as I'm allergic to it. Tramadol has been the only drug to have eased the pain, so I think I'm stuck on it for life. This scares me. If I am late taking my dose, my whole body starts to go into spasm, and the only way to ease this is to stretch my arms and legs, it's horrible. Then I get awful cramps. What if they decide to stop people being able to use tramadol, as they've already changed its classification, making it harder for me to get it each month. It's quite frightening being trapped in this vicious circle, of my life in the hands of the others who make the decisions.
Not happy and scared. :cry:
Jacky55
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:15 pm

Yes over 400mg can cause seizures. There's a roughly similar strength drug called tapentadol it's relatively new.

Perhaps you could ask your Dr for something like Baclofen for the muscle spasms and maybe Gabapentin or Pregabalin to also help with the pain?
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Jacky55 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:27 am

Thankyou rich44 so much for your suggestion, I'll make an appointment with my GP, and ask her about Tapentadol, Gabapentin and Pregabalin. I hadn't thought of Baclofen. I've been on Tramadol for over 6 years, and I didn't have any problems with it. It's just been in the last year, something has changed, and the pain has become worse. Especially with the spasms. I'm really scared of coming off the Tramadol. :(
Jacky55
UKFM Member

Postby Gwen115 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:39 pm

Hi, i have been on Tramadol for 5 years, as i have a curvature of the base of my spine & then was diagnosed with fibro 2 years ago, in the last 6 months i have been getting hives, at first i thought i was developing food allergies but the last few weeks it has got so bad i can't even get dressed as i itch so bad even after taking antihistamines i have come to the conclusion it is caused from the tramadol, i do not want to tell my gp about this as i couldn't cope without pain relief, any idea what i can ask for as a substitute, i have tried a few different ones in the last 12 years prior to getting my gp to upgrade me to tramadol & none of them worked for me :?: :cry:
Gwen115
UKFM Newbie

Postby rich44 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:51 pm

You'll probably have the same trouble I've had, they're happy to hand out as far as tramadol but don't want to go further.

There's the usual Gabapentin & Pregabalin for neuropathic pain, they're not painkillers but might help if you're not on them already.

Above tramadol you're talking maybe Butrans patches, fentanyl patches, oramorph stuff like that and certainly my Dr's are quite happy to watch me suffer for fear of me getting addicted.

If the tramadol is affecting you then I would see your Dr asap because if that reaction suddenly gets worse it could leave you up the Creek.

Could you try cutting the tramadol back very slightly, just drop one 50mg tablet a day see if you can survive and how you react to the pain but do see your gp too.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Gwen115 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:17 pm

Hi, mostly i only take one 50mg a day just so i can do a few chores, i had real bad stomach cramps & my abdomen swelled up real bad on sunday night through till tuesday morning that wiped me out so i ended up sleeping for about 36 hours without taking any tramadol at all & was itch free the whole time till i took one yesterday at 1.30 pm & within a few hours i started breaking out in hives worse than ever still itching a bit now, not taking one today to see how i go as compared to the pain i was in the last few days today is a darned good one as long as i don't overdo it as i usually do
Gwen115
UKFM Newbie

Postby rich44 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:39 pm

It could be worth asking for a different brand or even for the modified release type. It could be that you're reacting to the filler or the capsules themselves and not the active ingredient.

I'd try that route first if you haven't already it's worth a try. The modified release are handy as you take them once a day and they slowly release all day to give you a nice even dose.

Good luck
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby KarenG53 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:37 am

This is where I'll start as its on the Tramadol post:
Tramadol and all the other strong meds your talked into taking ....yes your in pain so you'll take what ever they offer you just to be pain free... But what they don't tell you is what they do to your other organs long term... ( in defence of GP's most don't have the time let alone the knowledge they are bombarded by pharmaceutical companies)

I'm nearly Tramadol and Naproxen free I'm still on low dose paracetamol twice a day... it's been 8 wks weaning me off them... my choice.. The pain has been unbearable at times but after finding out that it's probably affected not only my kidneys but liver and gall bladder as well I'm so over them all... luckily I have a GP who also believes we should all be reducing such meds...

If I'd of been better informed win 1994 Would I of waited and allowed my bodies own natural pain relief to kick in? Because believe me the body is an amazing machine .... It knows how to heal itself if you only give it the right tools and time...I can't answer that now because I was told I needed to take anti inflammatories, pain relief,stomach protectors, antidepressants, I didn't know I was depressed?? Then pills to help me empty my bowel, which had nearly ceased up then something to stop the diarrhoea... Then something to stop the itching crawling feelings on my skin another side affect from one med or another....the list goes on and on as I'm sure many of you can relate too...

Tramadol is just the last in a long long line of all the opioids drugs I've been prescribed...Maybe this part shouldn't be here but I need those that read the above to understand where I draw my experiences from I'm not just letting off steam I really want you all to question what your prescribed.... take control of your life...no dress rehearsals you only get one...

Our illness isn't life threatening but we are that doped up that we are like the walking ... just existing... Let's face it that's not living...
I know Fibromyalgia and other Chronic fatigue illnesses are different for everyone.... Mine was brought on by putting the garden fork through the mains electric cable only buried 4 inches instead of 2ft and no protective covering in June 1994. It totally disabled me for nearly 2 yrs... I needed a carer !!! A Wheelchair...it totally devastated me... It was a hard road back through sheer bloody mindedness I got stronger through at first gentle stretching being in the pool is the best way to do this ... I've never regained the fully active life I'd had before FM but I have a life ....

Jumping forward to 2002 a kiwi friend had moved back to NZ, she encouraged me to come visit spend UK winter in the sun here... what a mammoth task that was... but it changed my life forever. I met the love of my life moved here in 2003...yes I've had down days and missing my family doesn't help but I'm reasonably active. life isn't all about who has what, I fit in here unlike back there I was a square peg in a round hole phew sorry if I've gone off track a bit ...but if there's one bit of advise I can leave you all with just think and research before you take all that poison into your body ...
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs clearer, as well as twiddled with punctuation/grammar, for easier reading.
KarenG53
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication