Painkillers????

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Painkillers????

Postby Flippy22 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:34 pm

My GP will only give me Amitriptyline for sleeping problems but nothing for the pain. I really struggle with pain, so any ideas of what I can do please.
Flippy22
UKFM Member

Re: Painkillers????

Postby Ali170 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:58 pm

Hi Love,

Charming, not vey helpful indeed. Ask for a referral to your local pain clinic, mine was great and although never been completely pain free they helped me cope while I was still working, I tried Amitriptyline... no good, gabapentin...no good, tramadol...no good. Finally codeine and diclofenec were a great help, they also put me on the pain management course which teaches you how to cope with chronic pain. It's a struggle as there's good and bad days and very bad days but knowing that your GP doesn't give a monkeys about your pain doesn't help at all.

Good luck, I hope you get the outcome you deserve xx
Ali170
UKFM Member

Postby katz65 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:03 pm

Hi Flippy22
I use Codine Phosphate for pain, Gabapentin also to help with pain, Amitriptyline to help me sleep & I was told it also helps with pain & Citalopram is for my depression, I am pretty okay with mine, but when I have a flare up I need something stronger, usually I get given oramorph.

I notice that there are lots of different med's used between all of us, it must depend on what our GP think will work.

I hope you get sorted xx
katz65
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:05 pm

I've found the Amitriptyline has helped with some of the pain I started out with. I'm on and off painkillers. I don't want to be on them forever more, so I take them when I really really need them. I hate all medication but what can you do?!
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Garyl » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:08 pm

My GP gives me 500mg Paracetmol and 2 30mg dihydrcodine to take at bed time helps with pain and sleep
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby eggle » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:32 pm

I can only have amitriptyline and paracetamol, years ago I could take codine only to suddenly become sensitive to it affecting my stomach. Tramadol became a life saver, a few years later the same stomach problem occurred.
I asked if there was anything available in a patch that is not morphine related.... No I was told. :cry:
eggle
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:18 pm

Depends on how morphine related I guess, but there's always Butrans patches, they're an opioid based painkiller.

Might be worth asking, especially if you're suffering getting painkillers into your digestive system.

There's a relatively new tramadol alternative called tapentadol which might also be an option
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Flippy22 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:22 pm

Problem is, she won't refer me for pain management and it was only by seing another doctor at the practice why I was refered to a rhumatologist, so looks like I wwill have to see another doctor for pain management but the one who refered me has now left which is sad because he was very kind and did his job.
Flippy22
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:56 pm

They don't need to refer you a gp can prescribe most of these things.

If your gp is pants the only thing you can really do is try another practice, unfortunately it's a bit of a gamble. :-(

One if the Dr's at my practice said don't worry the pain clinic will sort you out, I was referred in Jan had 2 appts but no pain management yet so went back and saw different Dr
rich44
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication