Controlled medication

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Controlled medication

Postby robbiecramp » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:20 pm

Hi guys I have just been taken off 50mg Tramadol to be put on a controlled Tramadol of 200mg to be taken twice daily with a 12 hour gap has anybody been on this and how effective can it be and if known is there common side effects with it to the normal dose
robbiecramp
UKFM Member

Re: Controlled medication

Postby carolad » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:41 pm

Is it modified release Tramadol? It sounds like it is if you take them 12 hours apart. The idea is that it releases a small amount into your system over a number of hours so gives you continuous pain relief, rather than a quick 'hit' which soon wears off.

I haven't found any side effects with it, apart from being drowsy for the first week or so. But if you've already been taking Tramadol, your body should be used to it. Hope it helps :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby cajo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:49 pm

I have been taking time released tramadol for a number of years now and found it alot better. Earlier last year the goverment in thier wisdom of saving money took me off it as its more costly than the 50mg doses. I went down hill within days I was taking maximum 50mgs but it wasnt lasting. So my GP happily put me back on the time released, as it wasnt her dessission in the first place. Time released gives a constant dose out the 12 hours, so much better.
cajo
UKFM Newbie

Postby robbiecramp » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:40 pm

Early days yet but thank you for the positive posts I am feeling a little drowsy but no more than when was on 50mg Tramadol and yes it is the modified release. Gp wanted to up my Baclofen but has decided against it at moment as am due to see Pain clinic consultant in October and have been referred to a Neurologist in September and sleep clinic also in September.

Thanks again for the positive posts

Robbie
robbiecramp
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication