Do people find they get weight gain with gabapentin?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Do people find they get weight gain with gabapentin?

Postby keaedmondson » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:14 pm

Basically as the question says really… I am coming off pregabalin because of the weight gain! And I'm not sure it is working really. I would like to go on to duloxetine my doctor thinks I should try gabapentin first. I don't mind doing but I do not see the point if I am going to have continual weight problems. Does anybody have any experience of putting on weight while being on gabapentin? The doctor seems to think that it will not happen. But I know it is essentially the same as pregabalin except for cost.

Before I try and convince him, I just wanted to tap people's thoughts… Thanks

PS. I did search for this but couldn't find anything in the results that came up so sorry if this has been asked before as I'm sure it has!
keaedmondson
UKFM Member

Re: Do people find they get weight gain with gabapentin?

Postby rich44 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:20 pm

I came off Pregabalin as it stopped helping me the Dr prescribed Gabapentin but it made be really loopy I've just started duloxetine but we've had to cut the dose as I was almost passing out when standing up.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Spange » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:26 pm

I can tell you, without any doubt, that it puts weight on. My doctor also didn't believe me, so much so that he picked up a medical book and looked it up, only to tell me "oh, you're right". I am on 900mg Gabapentin three times a day. I have put on about 5 stone since being diagnosed with FMS three years ago, at which time I was prescribed Tramadol & Gabapentin. I am also on Duloxetine. I suffer with a lot of nerve pain and the Gabapentin does help - I had thought it wasn't doing anything and then, when I decided to come off it, the pain intensified to such a degree that I changed my mind about coming off it, regardless of the weight issue. Pain vs weight - it's a hard one. :-|
Spange
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:47 pm

I lost 42 pounds.. when i came off that drug with diet of course, so yes it does make a big difference.
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby ..:: lisa ::.. » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:50 pm

Yes! I seemed to have gained quite a bit of weight especially since I upped the gabapentin to 2700mg per day.
I also had an increase of propronal at the same time so couldnt be sure which was doing it.

I did a search on here and found a few people had also gained weight on it.

I would say in the last 2/3 months ive gained over a stone and I'm on food supplements so its not that I'm eating too much lol
—(••÷[ I may ramble at times as my train of thought has crashed. Please be patient and bare with me ]÷••)—
..:: lisa ::..
UKFM Member

Postby crazy cat lady » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:15 pm

It,s a side effect of Gabapentin,I had to come off it too.
crazy cat lady
UKFM Member

Postby LesleyD » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:57 am

Yeah, I'm on a low dose because it makes me so drowsy and I want to continue working. So I struck a balance with that one. But yes, I have gained about 2-3 stone. I was at Slimming World and had lost about 1 stone before I started Gabapentin. Then I found it harder and harder to continue losing weight and have put it all back on and more!! Extra weight certainly doesn't help the joints and pain!!
LesleyD
UKFM Member

Postby Lynsey Drewitt » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:09 pm

I've gradually been loosing weight on gabapentin. A recent trail at complete wheat avoidance for only 3 weeks and I went down 2 dress sizes. I had gained weight when I had been on the contraceptive injection which has finally worked its way out of my system so the weight loss could be as a result of shifting levels in progesterone. Alas we are all different with a condition that presents differently with each of us having different reactions, medication, treatment, advice and so on. I would be very interested in providing information about daily effects with other medical assessments, measurements and information such as medication and effects to a central base to catalogue and research with hope of getting to grips with fibromyalgia and provide hopefully useful stats. :-)
Lynsey Drewitt
UKFM Newbie

Postby eileen4891 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:18 pm

Hi . i put on loads of weight with Gabapentin .. Roughly a stone in a month . :-o hope you find some thing that suits you soon , x x
eileen4891
UKFM Member

Postby robbiecramp » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:33 pm

I also have put weight on with Gabapentin but also think amitriptyline plays a part in weight gain as well. I am comfortable with my weight at the moment and have reduced my eating as was famished most meal times to point could eat 2 big dinners.

My Gabapentin is 2700 per day with A controlled Tramadol 200mg twice a day Baclofen 30mg a day Paracetamol 3 times a day 2 Vit D tabs twice a day and my Amitriptyline at 125mg at night

You will find a balance and your realise things will stay as they are or improve

Robbie
robbiecramp
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication