[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Fluoxetine & SSRIs...painkiller benefit.

Fluoxetine & SSRIs...painkiller benefit.

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fluoxetine & SSRIs...painkiller benefit.

Postby sunnyem23 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:18 am

Hi all,

I just wanted to share my experience of using an SSRI, Fluoxetine. I have been on the medication for several years for mental health problems but in the process of switching to a different medication (details not needed for the story!)

Anyway, I have been off the drug for 1 week and oh man have my aches and pains returned! I've only been on a relatively low dose for the past few months but it has definitely helped the muscle pain.

I'm switching to different medication which should also help with the pain. I'm just amazed at how important serotonin must be for fibre sufferers? I also take an anti-epileptic drug and this has also helped to reduce the pain.

Just to highlight, I wasn't initially prescribed the drugs for fibro but they seem to have a dual benefit for a few conditions.

I guess I wanted to post this in case it helps anyone with making a decision about treatment :)
sunnyem23
UKFM Newbie

Re: Fluoxetine & SSRIs...painkiller benefit.

Postby rich44 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:36 am

Glad that you found Prozac helped & hope your new drug helps too.

I've never had any pain relief from anti-depressants mind you nor have I had any depression lifted either so go figure.

I was on Prozac for awhile years ago unfortunately I ended up with a problem with my sex life which made things worse.

I'm rather sceptical of the whole anti-depressant thing as they've never helped me.

Good luck with your new drug(s)
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Flippy22 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:58 am

May I just ask the OP. All the years you were taking prozac were you ever given blood tests to measure the amount of prozac in your system?
Flippy22
UKFM Member

Postby Chickenosaurus » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:08 am

I take fluoxetine for fibromyalgia, not for depression. Low serotonin levels appear to be somehow involved in fibro and I had bad side effects with the tiniest dose of amitriptyline. I find it improves my eyesight and helps with the fatigue and fibro-fog. I take approx 80 - 100mg/week - 'normal' lowest dose would be 140mg/week.
Chickenosaurus
UKFM Member

Postby MarlenaJ » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:36 am

My rheumatologist has just told me that Fluoxetine (Prozac) does not affect Fibro and does not lift the moods that being in constant pain can cause so has recommended that i come off of it and go onto Duloxetine instead. So right now I am in the process of coming off of my prozac in order to go onto the new medication. I do hope it will do me some good as the pain is horrible. Hugs to one and all.
MarlenaJ
UKFM Newbie

Postby rich44 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:06 pm

Fluoxetine is often prescribed for ME as it can help with fatigue symptoms. An ex girlfriend of mine was prescribed it as a teenager for that very reason.

I take sumatriptan fairly regularly and that monkeys about with serotonin too.

Personally I think there's more than one cause for fibromyalgia and that's why some respond to x and some to y but that's just my personal opinion.

At the end of the day you stick with whatever works if you can.

Interesting about the blood test angle I've never had bloods done to check anti-depressants level I just assumed they didn't do them?

My last one venlafaxine I was up to 320mg a day, did nothing for my mood nor pain.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby rubes » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:23 pm

I have blood tests every 6 months, and I'm good with my medication.
rubes
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:28 pm

Thanks for sharing sunnyem :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: Experiences of others, be they good, bad, or ugly, can be a big help as they all help give others an idea of what they may also experience when looking into something before considering swapping to, or starting something new.

It's quite :shock: :shock: :shock: at times just what difference a med can make to us without us realising until we stop taking it :-? :-? :-? Often makes you think if you're doing the best thing by stopping taking it and/or swapping to something else.

As Lisa has said, Duloxetine is the anti~d increasingly used for FM {US Licence, UK Licence for neuropathic pain} as it can help with sleep and pain issues, as well as depression. Some have even described it as being designed/developed for FM {altho this doesn't seem to appear in any official info that I can find.} Like other meds tho, for some its benefits are :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: whereas for others it still leaves them feeling :bricks: :bricks: :bricks: :bricks:

Anti~convulsant/seizure meds, like other meds, have been found to help some, probably by working on the fibro~brain in a very similar way to how they do help with seizures, as in they help calm the electrical hyperactivity in the brain responsible for sending the misfiring pain messages that plague us. Again, for some they make a difference, whereas others find them no help at all.

Opinions can be somewhat divided on the benefits of different meds, incl those of the medical fraternity, which doesn't really help us when trying to find what might make that difference that we're often desperate for. If an open yet prepared mind is possible when looking into and/or talking to docs about what might be the next step to take, as well as a bit of patience to give med a chance to take effect, then the chances of becoming a self~fulfilling prophecy can be considerably reduced.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby migrembe » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:49 pm

Seeing as we are looking at both sides of SSRI's i have found that they make me paranoid, cause panic attacks, nightmares and night terrors and do nothing for my mood or fibro anything.

SSRI's don't work for depression any better than a placebo does and i must admit i have to agree with them. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/obs ... take-ssris
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Annie54 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:54 pm

This is very interesting. I have been on fluoxetine for chronic depression for some years but last year I was made redundant and as I no longer had to cope with work pressure, with my gp's agreement, I came off it a few months ago. So far I am coping ok but I too noticed an increase in fibromyalgia pain. I thought it was just me!
Annie54
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:58 pm

rich44
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:59 pm

Annie, there are other meds, incl low~dosage anti~ds, that can be used in helping manage FM if you do find things starting to become a little trickier to manage. A chat with your GP about things should come up with something if needed.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Treatments & Medication