[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Rheumatologist today

Rheumatologist today

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Rheumatologist today

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:41 pm

Think it went well. I told him that the gp upped my Amitriptyline from 20mg to 50mg. I feel wiped out most of the time. He's told me to go down to 25mg and he will put me on gapendtin?. Havent been on it before. But he said it should get rid of the tiredness. He checked my joints for my arthritis and all still ok. Checked my fibro trigger points and yes they're still sore! Ouch! I've also had to have a blood test to check my antibodies as I had low rbc and low wbc a little while ago. Gp wasn't concerned but he's getting it checked out. I've looked online and lupus came up, not for the first time. I've looked into it previously. So curious to see the results.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Re: Rheumatologist today

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:00 pm

Lupus and FM do share a lot of symptoms. When going thru the elimination process when someone presents with symptoms like ours, Lupus tends to/can be one of the possibilities investigated.

It sounds like it was a pretty positive appt for you. Gabapentin is mentioned on here quite often, and can make quite a difference to some. Like all meds tho, it doesn't suit everyone, so try and keep your mind as open as you can. It needs time to build up in your system to fully take effect, which can be anything from a month up to around 3 months, altho some have said they felt a change in things within a couple of weeks, so just bobble along with it, give it a good go and see what happens :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: The dosage tends to be increased over a suitable period of time as well, until the prescribed/maximum dosage is reached.

Hopefully the blood test results will come back with OK levels for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:22 pm

Thanks flups :-D I will be starting in 100g once a day for a week then onto 100g three times a day. I'm worried I wont get a good sleep due to lowering the ami but rheumy reckons it'll help taking the gabapentin along side it. Just hope the zombie in me goes away! Lol
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:00 pm

Just keep an eye on any side effects physically and mentally and report them to your gp. I didn't get on with Gabapentin don't be afraid to keep them informed of everything.

Good luck with the Gabapentin it does really help some people.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:02 pm

Peoples have said about Gabas making sleep better for them, so there's a chance you could find it does a similar thing for you.

Amitriptyline is known to make some feel like Queen Of The Zombies the morning/day after, esp when dosages are increased, so maybe the reduction with the addition of the Gabas may help with how you feel. If things don't seem to be improving tho, then you might need to consider an alternative to Amitriptyline. Nortriptyline tends to be better tolerated, and is said to have fewer side effects. It is a sister med to Amis, so works in pretty much the same sort of way, at similar sorts of dosages, so might be worth bearing in mind, all depending on how you go on with the Gabas and changed Amis dosage.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:21 pm

Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:31 pm

Within 2 weeks made me feel really suicidal. I went back to my GP we stopped it quite quickly and the problem stopped.

The important thing was going back and reporting it so the Dr could think again.

I've had Pregabalin (Lyrica) in the past and that worked well for awhile but then it stopped and despite going on to large doses it didn't help at that point but neither did it cause any side effects.

I tried Nortriptyline too but it gave me nasty RLS. Amitrypyline is ok for me to.

Always feedback what's happening when trying these drugs there are lots of options out there in varying doses.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:37 pm

That sounds scary rich! Did you start off on the drug slowly? Then build up? I will have to keep an eye on it. I start my first dose tonight when I take my ami.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:03 pm

I can't remember the doses now it was 2 capsules 3 times a day I think can't remember it wasn't particularly high dose.

I was quite fortunate I suppose in that I've struggled with depression before in my early 20s and attempted suicide back then so I know myself a bit better from then and I could see what was happening and deal with it. It wasn't that I suddenly felt this urge to do something immediately, I dunno it was really hard to describe but it was not good.

I've never heard of anyone else having a reaction like that tho it's mostly just weight gain, maybe I'm just weird lol
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:51 pm

God I hope I don't gain weight! I've been through depression in my teens and also attempted suicide 3 times. Also had postnatal depression with two of my kids. Horrible place to be :(
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:15 pm

Theresa, try and focus on that whilst there are side effects with pretty much all the meds used in managing FM, it doesn't necessarily mean that they will affect you. And if you did find yourself experiencing something, it may not be as extreme or long lasting for you, compared with what others have undergone

Every once in a while, a dog enters your life and changes everything xx

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:23 pm

I will try to keep a watchful eye. I'm sure hubby will pick up on any strange behaviours etc. anyway :-)
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Miichelle » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:44 pm

I had to stop Gabapentin as I suffer with depression and it really affected my mood :(
Miichelle
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:35 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one, gp acted like I was bonkers (maybe I am).

Don't worry about side effects too much the biggest side effect of life is death but we (most of us) don't worry too much about that every day.

Just keep an eye out for any changes and assess whether you can live with them vs the help the meds give you.

My wife takes Gabapentin and it doesn't affect her at all badly (she definitely is bonkers).

Yeah I've battled depression my whole life, I'm probably a bit too empathic which doesn't really help, in fact to be honest it's a pain in the bum!
rich44
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication