diclofenac

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

diclofenac

Postby dotty lotty » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:45 pm

Have been put on diclofenac for my busted coccyx :yikes: :yikes: Just wonder if it may prove helpful for muscle pains. I live in hope :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Re: diclofenac

Postby stephdawn » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:19 pm

Hi huni. I was put on that and it really didn't help. It gave me constipation and just had bad side effects. Sorry can't help any more as it was quite a long time ago. Hope it works for you. :teddy-bear: x
stephdawn
UKFM Member

Postby aziriphale » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:26 pm

It works, but you have to make sure you take it as directed as they build up in your system so work well if you do that
aziriphale
UKFM Member

Postby daisyp59 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:29 pm

It works well on pains caused by inflammation. I had them for arthritis and, as a previous person has mentioned, once they build up in your system they are great. Unfortunately, I can't take them any more as I am on Warfarin, and I do miss the relief they gave me. It is always worth giving them a try. I hope they work for you :-)
daisyp59
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:42 pm

They gave me top strength cocodamol when I did mine, at the time they really helped a lot
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby padders » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:03 pm

Hi
They work great once built up in system as any meds take a while. On the downside they can cause ulcers in tummy so you should be taking a tablet that stops the build up and one is called Lansoprazole the other is called omeprazole. Worth asking Dr x
padders
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:52 am

Thanks guys. I did get omeprazole cover and on an increased dose. So :fingerscrossed: it may help even a little. I also have a new coccyx cushion on order. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Gracious » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:00 am

Dotty, I tend to use Diclofenac Diethylammonium (Diclofenac 1% gel) also known as Votarol gel rather than taking it in pill form, found this didn't aggravate the stomache and bowel. Infact I get zero side effects from the gel but all the benefit. You can't use the gel and an anti-inflammatory together as thats double dosing.

For me the gel is far more effective than the pill form, as I want to reduce as many side effects as possible and I feel my gut, kidneys and liver are taxed enough with other medications.

A good coccyx cushion will make a huge difference, and will speed up recovery and reduce pain quickly. I made my own cushion when I baldy bruised my coccyx, took about 8 months before I could sit in a seat normally, so you have my sympathy.

In regards to muscle pain, I find Votarol gel quite effective in taking the edge of muscle pain, especially after doing any stretching, or had physio work done. I am not sure about the pills as I haven't taken them. I use the gel for hand pain, wrist pain, joint pain, foot pain, lumber pain, shoulder and neck pain, hip pain, calf pain...be it nerve, spasms, aching, etc. Just as and when I need to.

I don't leave home without it.

Hope your bottom heals quickly
With loving kindness
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:07 am

There's another version of that gel available in the pharmacy it's still got the voltarol name on it but it has 2.33% diclofenac in, in case anyone needs a stronger version too.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby kayhealey » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:50 am

A little off the subject but what does the cushion look like it--if you can describe it? My tailbone hurts sometimes and a cushion made for that might make me more comfortable without any more drugs of any kind; I take enough! I hope this is the part of the body that is being discussed or boy will I be embarrassed!

Thanks and tenderlovingkindness to you all and a bright new day tomorrow. <3 <3 <3
kayhealey
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:57 am

Hi Kayhealy, Yes it is your tail bone so no :oops: :oops:

Imagine a square cushion with a U shaped segment cut out at the back. I got one in argos but am getting (hopefully a better one) from Amazon. They are supposedly better than the donut type cushions as take the pressure of the correct area. It is worth a try.

Just google coccyx cushion and load will come up. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:34 am

Or you could try a travel cushion they're u shaped to fit round your neck to support your head if you're trying to sleep in the car etc.

I imagine under your bum they'd work quite effectively too
rich44
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication