[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Side effects

Side effects

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Side effects

Postby Fibrad » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:42 pm

Hi all - I have been recently diagnosed after a (very) long journey of being passed from pillar to post (not a new story, I am sure?!)
My GP has prescribed Amitripyline and has started me on minimum dose of 10mg. Having read others' posts, I am one of the lucky ones. I work part-time and lead a "normal" life - just one that is very different to the one I had a few years ago (worked longer hours, did lots of exercise on a daily basis and did not know the meaning of the word fatigue!) I do have pain which limits the amount of activity I can now do (lower back, hips and shoulders are the main areas - can't walk too far or for too long and standing in queues awful!) but the main problem is the extreme fatigue.

I had lots of other annoying problems; eye floaters which blur my vision, a constant blocked sinus (one side only?!) which causes quite a bit of discomfort, pins and needles and pain in my hand (one side only?!), IBS, etc etc. My main worry really is the side effects of this new medication as I do NOT want constipation or for mornings to be any harder than they already are (I have a child to get to school!) Is this inevitable or does this vary from person to person? Thanks (for this and for the much needed info gained from reading previous posts). :-)
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split into smaller, clearer paragraphs for easier reading.
Fibrad
UKFM Member

Re: Side effects

Postby caramia » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:55 pm

I found the worst side effect was a dry mouth in the mornings to be honest , otherwise you get accustomed to it and it does help with sleep initially. I too like others though had to get it increased when it ceased to have same effect . I took 40mgs nightly at end, wasn't easy to stop taking , had to reduce slowly as you can get withdrawal symptoms if you have taken it for long periods ( years in my case) . I only take it now when really tired and need a better ( never good !) sleep! It can cause constipation but thats easily rectified with either lactulose or senna. Worth persevering with! Not everyone's experiences of side effects etc will be the same to be fair! :nono:
caramia
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:34 pm

Really bad side affect, which started after i had been on it about a month - paranoia, panic attacks, nightmares and night terrors and no sleep, and did nothing for pain, the docs upped the dose and made everything worse so had to stop it.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:42 pm

Everyone's side effects to meds will likely be different. If you are on a pain medication, especially a narcotic, constipation and dry eyes are likely. A daily laxative such as senokot-S with a stool softener included should do the trick. I would mention side effects to your Dr.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:10 pm

:cow-wave: :cow-wave: and :welcome: to our little FibroFamily. When you have a chance, if you'd like to share a little about yourself and your FibroJourney to here, it would be nice to meet you :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

How we react to a med varies just as much as how differently FM affects us, which probably isn't the answer you were looking/hoping for. This means it is difficult to say what will happen to you each morning I'm afraid :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: So whilst others may experience problems, it doesn't mean that you will.

Usually side effects tend to ease off as your body gets used to having the med in your system. However, some do linger around for longer than we would like, and can occasionally become troublesome. If this happens, with a little patience, and a bit of trial and error, things can be done to help minimise their impact. And if things don't improve/change, sometimes a change of med may be necessary to reduce their intensity and effects.

If you find you're experiencing problems, if you can give us an idea of what they are, we might be able to come up with some suggestions for you to try to see if they can be improved for you.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby libbiek30 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:37 pm

Hi I am also on 10mg of amiltriptilyn and have been fot a lomg time. I dont have any side effects now only for the first few days.i sleep really well on it but I notice if I have too much caffeine especially at night. I do get constipation but take buscapan which does help. So give it a chance. I work part time and manage to get my daughter to school and function pretty normally. I have to rest alot but least I have pretty normal life. Gud luck hope this helps. :-D
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:14 am

Hi there :)

As Fluppy says, it's difficult to say because we're all different. Some people here have been on Amit for years. I took it for 2/3 months or so? Had very dry mouth, constipation (I also have ibs) and foggy headed in the morning. I gradually increased to 75mg as it was no longer helping me sleep, spent 2 weeks waiting for sleep and none came so I switched. I am not waiting for a third option as the second one had similar side effects!!

It's a bit trial and error but what I will say is give each medication (or new dosage) a while to work, don't write them off after 2 days etc.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby LizzyMac » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:56 am

I took it for about 6 months and eventually stopped because I gained so much weight. My mouth and eyes and skin got really dry, and no amount of drinking water would help, but that was bearable. But without changing my diet, I gained 2-3 stone. It was awful. Because I also have PCOS and blood sugar problems (unrelated to the fibro), I stopped taking it. Most of the weight fell off after I did that.

Honestly, it did help the depression, but I found it didn't do much for the pain, so it wasn't a difficult decision to stop taking it. I remember being REALLY tired in the mornings when I'd take it, but I adjusted the time of day that I took it to help with that and I also found that after about a month, that part started to go away as my body adjusted.
LizzyMac
UKFM Member

Postby Lindar » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:06 am

As a few others have already said, your experience with ami will be different to the experience of others on the same drug. What I would add is to try and take it about 12 hours before you have to get up. This was advice I was given, although for the life of me I can't remember who by or where, and it certainly helped me avoid the fuzzy head I sometimes get if I forget and have to be up early. Good luck, Linda.
Lindar
UKFM Newbie

Postby kerryp » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:02 pm

I'm on 40mg at present and i'm not sure if i'm getting side effects or it's symptoms of the FM? I have had several heart flutters over the last few weeks as my Amitryptoline has been increased, and have also had a rather worrying dizzy spell that felt like the ground was sucking me downwards!! Is the a symptom or a side effect?
kerryp
UKFM Newbie

Postby padders » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:19 pm

Hi
I take 150mg every night and can say I have had no problems at all. I take senna daily as well just to make sure. It helps with my pain but not sleep it has also stopped my terrible cramps and stiffness and jerks I was suffering and couldn't hold a drink as was terrified of throwing them all over. I would say keep up with it for a while and give it time to work and settle down.
As others have said we all react to meds differently so just keep a eye in your symptoms and see if they are getting better or worse. To be honest I tend not to read all side effects leaflet as I believe sometimes we can worry to much about them and think we have symptoms.
Lisa
padders
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:44 am

The only med that caused me very bad constipation is tramadol. I stopped taking them but stayed constipated and had to use laxatives for a short time. Everything is back to normal now. I'm also on Amitriptyline x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication