[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Pregablin

Pregablin

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pregablin

Postby pj1943 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:56 pm

Hi
I was at the pain clinic today and they gave me acupuncture which helped. They also looked at the medication I take - Dihydrocodeine 300mg x 4 times, Paracetamol 2 x 4 times, Gabapentin 300mg x 4 times and as a last resort diazepam. They suggested changing the Gabapentin to Pregablin. Can someone who has tried this give me some advice please before I agree to change. Thanks :-? :?:
pj1943
UKFM Member

Re: Pregablin

Postby Biggles57 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:26 pm

Hi I've been on pregablin now for 2 yr 300mg twice a day so less pills too throw down the throat I also take 50mg of nortriptyline once a day along with 20mg oxycodone at 12 hr intervals it works for me prior to this I was taking gabapentin in large doses amyltriptyline , and codine and cocodamol as required . it was a lot of pills 20+ a day am now down too 8 + any cocodamol I need , the pregablin seem to be working as my pain is greatly reduced I also use Cannabis small amounts in a vapourizer 3 to 4 times a day have google on cannabis and fibro investigate the human endocannabinoid system and you will see why it can be effective for pain relief good luck in your research :-D
Biggles57
UKFM Newbie

Postby pj1943 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:14 pm

Thanks for that its very helpful. :-) I have a friend who smokes cannabis and since I don't smoke he offered to get me some that you can use in other ways. I wasn't sure if it would be of any use in fibro so your comment is also helpful. I might just take him up on his offer. :!:
pj1943
UKFM Member

Postby KateS » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:31 pm

Hi, my meds are similar to yours and I was recommended to change to Pregabalin a couple of years ago. I know some people get on with it really well. My experience was disastrous. I had to wean off Gabapentin for three weeks resulting in increasing pain and neuropathic symptoms, then take Pregabalin for six weeks as a reasonable trial of it's effectiveness. It was nowhere near as good and I switched straight back to Gabapentin without any weaning. Overall I spent three months in misery and wouldn't do anything like it again. So all that being said, whilst I believe that 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' I am a great believer in a 'balanced view' and wouldn't want you to base your decision solely on my experience. See what other views you get before deciding. Good luck
KateS
UKFM Newbie

Postby pj1943 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:05 pm

Thanks for you sharing your experiences - I would like to hear as much as possible before I make a decision.
pj1943
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:41 pm

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Butterfly8588 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:01 am

Hi Biggles,
When I used Pregablin I didn't find it overly useful to be honest! I also had side effects which caused me to jerk around really badly, especially at night when I was trying to sleep. Sometimes I'd twitch so badly I left the surface of the bed.
I do think it's only fair to point out though that I haven't found any tablets that really helped me so perhaps I'm not the best person to ask!

Gentle hugs xxx
I'm the ghost of a girl that I want to be most, I'm the shell of a girl that I used to know well.
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Postby kayhealey » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:20 am

I have been on Pregablin off and on for years. Initially, not sure that it helped with pain, but it seemed to give me energy. I went off it though after awhile because the constipating effect was too great to tolerate. I then eventually went back on it, and the side effect seemed not as bad. I have been taking 100 mg. three times a day for quite some time. A few months ago I decide to try gabapentin because the cost is so much less and they are similar drugs, like second cousins. I got nauseated every single time I took one and finally just gave it up and went back on the Lyrica. Last week, my dr. asked me if I felt it was really helping me and I honestly answered no because I can't tell if it does or not. Again, because of the cost, I decided with my dr's concurrence to wean off of it and see if I could tell any difference. From what I read when I googled withdrawal Lyrica, I was really concerned about terrible withdrawal symptoms but decided to do it very very slowly. The first day I forgot to take the one at breakfast :-D and didn't notice until mid afternoon! So I took 75 mg. then and then 100 mg. at bedtime. Since it worked ok yesterday, I repeated the same thing today and so far so good. If I notice a problem, I will up the dose a bit, but otherwise, I will continue at this dose for awhile and then drop down another step and continue until I am off of it hopefully. If I have more pain without it, I will go back on to least possible dose because of the side effect. Otherwise I will save a lot of money! I really don't think it reduces my pain. It may help me sleep. I haven't tried stopping or reducing the bedtime dose yet. I will keep you posted!

Oh yes the other thing was that my kids have been encouraging me to try cannabis also, from a medicine shop in a form similar to hard candy. I did try it once and it helped with the pain (BOTH Fibro and Osteoarthritis) considerably but made me kind of loopy. Don't think I could/would drive like that, but as there are so many different kinds and formulations, and I could take less, so I plan to try again. I know a lot of people find a great deal of relief with cannabis and the kids think it would be safer for me than pills. I need to research this a bit more and talk to an expert, but in the end I imagine I will give it a go. I know there are lots of different opinions on this and I think that everyone just has to make up their own minds about it.

Gentle hugs and Healing prayers to you all!
kayhealey
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:08 pm

Please read Fluppypuffy's post on mentioning Class B illegal substances on the forum, people have been banned for mentioning it previously. There wont be any more warnings on this topic just removal of the post and banning of the poster.

We cant be any more clear on this
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby tkenny » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:03 pm

I have been on gabapentin than changed to pregablin only to change back to gabapentin because pregablin just didn't do enough to help me. I gave it 6 months at different doese but just suffered more than with gabapentin. I am on a very high dose of gabapentin (1200 mg x 3 day) but it helps so I choke down the massive pills. ;)
tkenny
UKFM Newbie

Postby pj1943 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:00 pm

Thanks everybody for your experiences. I think maybe I will stay on Gabapentin as it works really well for me re restless legs and see if there is a different painkiller they can give me. Thanks to all who replied
:-|
pj1943
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:53 pm

yeah I'm late to the thread as usual :-D but thought I'd post my experience anyway.

I tried pregablin several months ago and my experience was awful. I took it for only a week and it turned me into a walking (or rather, hobbling) zombie :snowgrumpy: . it was absolutely terrible. I had to be off work cos of how bad it made me feel. I phoned the doctors and they offered to put me on a smaller dose but I said no. didn't want to touch the stuff ever again.

but I have a tendancy to react to medications, so that might explain why I had such a bad time of it. I can't take most things.

but that's just me though - your mileage may vary, as they say.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby lemurin » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:16 pm

I am more than a bit late to the subject... but I thought I would share my opinion.

I tried all sorts of medication before this, some made me temporarily blond, some made me vomit the majority of the day, others made me so dizzy I'd pass out and the list goes on. I was very hesitant to try another tablet due to this, but reluctantly started pregablin.

When I first started pregablin my other half said to me that the first night after taking it, I slept so much better than I did before. I find it really helps with the pain, it doesn't take it away completely but it dulls it down to a more manageable pain, unless I am having a bad flare up. I've not really had any side effects from it at all, which I was really worried about.

I started off on one tablet three times a day but soon went to two tablets three times a day and again, no side effects.

I think it entirely depends on the person, as shown in this thread.

It might be worth a try, as you never know... it might just work!
lemurin
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication