[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - What else can I have

What else can I have

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What else can I have

Postby babycakem » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:08 pm

I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and I would like to know what else I can take,
I am on 2x paracetamol 500mg 4 times a day
35mg amitriptiline at night
1x dihydrocodine 30mg every 6 hours when needed
But I am constantly tired and in pain, I don't know what else to try what else is there to try as it seems like I have to suggest things to my doctor but I'm unsure what else is out there to try,
Thank you in advance any information would be welcome
babycakem
UKFM Newbie

Re: What else can I have

Postby Theresa34 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:19 pm

My rheumatologist recently put me on 300mg a day of gabapentin to take alongside my 25mg Amitriptyline to help with the pain x So far so good :-D
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby stripes64 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:27 pm

Medication is based on individuals needs, Tramadol is common and what I use,amitriptyline at night, others use morhpine patches.

If your gp is struggling to help you then maybe get them sent a medical pack there are Fm specific drugs that can be prescribed

I did start on co-dydramol topped up with Dihydracodiene took those for several years
Not a huge help I'm afraid

xx
stripes64
UKFM Member

Postby Beyondwords_uk » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:45 pm

I currently take 30mg codeine with 500mg of paracetamol twice a day along with 300mg of Gabapentin 3 times a day and 50mg of amitriptyline a couple of hours before bed. The gabapentin seems to help with sleep but the codeine doesn't help on bad days. Any ideas for better painkillers?
Beyondwords_uk
UKFM Newbie

Postby di doc » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:16 pm

Hi I am on 3 amitriptyline at night and I have 2 nefapam 3 times a day now but have also previously been given naproxen and oramorph xx
di doc
UKFM Member

Postby stephdawn » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:58 am

Hi my lovelies. I take 7 300g of Gabapentin , 2 in the morning, 2 at lunch and 3 at night also a Duloxetine an hr before bed. I take others like 5 Amitriptyline at night but I can't remember the dosage as they are in the bedroom and my husbands asleep :roll: They took me off of codine as it was giving me stomach problems. I also take 18mg of diazepam spread over the day. Hope this little bit of info has helped. :-)
stephdawn
UKFM Member

Postby Ali170 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:45 am

Hi,
When I was still working I took 30mg codeine phosphate twice a day, and Diclofenac 75mg SR once or twice a day, which really helped, my GP took me off the Diclofenac as they are not recommended for the over 60's, I was gutted as they really took the pain away. They can irritate your stomach so sometimes best to take a Zantac along side It. I am now just on the Codeine which helps a bit, I am retired now so at least I don't have to struggle into work.
I hope you find some relief, take care . x
Ali170
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:03 am

migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby TNK* » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:54 am

I think rather than asking the question "what else can I have" I think you need to ask for a meds review.

Obviously what you are taking is not having any desirable effect, so perhaps your personal cocktail isnt working anymore (if it ever did)

Each FM sufferer has their own exclusive symptoms, so the right combination of treatments should be specific to you.

I would consider how you take your pills also...when you say you take Ami at night, what sort of time do you take them?
I have found that if i take my 30mg any later that 7pm, i am shattered the next day, not because i am still tired, but because im still doped up.
There have been times when its got to 9pm and ive forgotten to take them, so ive just left it as its just not worth a wasted day, f i took them so late i would be so tired and moody and probably spend the day in bed, where as if i left them i would still be tired as usual, but i can cope with that, just cant be doing with the drowsiness of taking them too late!

So yeah, as i was originally saying, a meds review could be the way to go!
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:50 pm

There are a number of meds used in trying to manage FM, as this explains. Explain in detail just how effective/ineffective your current meds are, and then ask about alternatives that might be suitable for you to try.

Unfortunately patience is needed in finding what makes a difference as what may help one may not do the same for another, so some element of trial and error tends to become part of the process as different dosages, as well as different meds/treatments are tried out to see if they are what you are looking for.

Just to echo what has been said previously, unlike in some countries, currently there are no meds licensed for use in FM here in the UK. The ones that are used here have been found to help with things like neuropathic pain, sleep, etc in addition to what they were originally created for. The use of them here has increased as they have been found to have these secondary benefits, but nothing has been created/licensed specifically for FM in the UK so far.

Questions on any sort of treatment for FM are always very fuzzy as there are always so many possibilities that might make a difference, some things that will be an absolute no~no due to what has been tried, side effects experienced, and how they may have had an overall effect, but there is isn't that absolute definite, one thing that will do all that we want and need.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby KATIEP59 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:49 pm

My old GP wrote down exactly what I could take in one go for my pain 2 x 500mg paracetamol, 60mg codeine, 500mg Naproxen, and 100mg Tramadol and when it's been bad I have had to take all of that, but I have had to work out what I need at what time for whatever type of pain I am in up to that level. I am determined not to become addicted by taking regularly and cannot bear to take amitriptyline it makes me like a zombie so again I am back to my own management of my own pain and this is what it will have to be from now on :(
KATIEP59
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication