Pain Clinic - Ketamin Infusion

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain Clinic - Ketamin Infusion

Postby lemurin » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:07 pm

Hi all,

I haven't been on this forum for quite a while but now I have returned as I am feeling at a bit of a loss again.

I recently had an appointment with the pain clinic, after being referred due to discharging from physio and my rheumatologist.

I was very nervous when it came to the appointment as I had already been let down by several doctors and didn't really hold out much hope.

I had no need what so ever. The doctor was so lovely and comforting. He mentioned symptoms I had felt but hadn't told anyone about which gave me peace of mind. These symptoms were things such as stumbling over words, memory loss, forgetting what words are, getting confused with numbers etc.
He spoke to me about a pain management course and asked me several questions about my life style and seemed impressed that I was still working full-time (albeit with a fair amount of sick days), trying to exercise by going to the gym or walking in the evenings and he seemed very impressed with the fact that I had taken part in the moon walk (walking marathon - I felt horrendous at the end of it, but also good that I did manage to complete it!) and said that he didn't think I would need it as I seemed to be trying to live my life as best as I can.

He did however recommend a procedure called a ketamin infusion. He said the majority of his patiences that have had this procedure have felt better either instantly or within the next few days. Some have no pain whatsoever! It varies between how long it lasts but you can have it again and again (as long as it isn't every few weeks I think). I have booked in to have this done as I thought it can't hurt to try it, but I was wondering if any one else has had this done?

What was it like? What were the side effects? How did you feel?
lemurin
UKFM Member

Re: Pain Clinic - Ketamin Infusion

Postby JamesinLon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:06 pm

I'm a little bit confused here. Ketamine Infusions are prescribed to treat people with severe non responsive depression, not really for pain. Perhaps your consultant is thinking your problems are more psychologically based?
JamesinLon
UKFM Newbie

Postby loverliesgal » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:03 pm

I have heard of ketamin infusions, not used only for severely depressed people, it is used more and more for the treatment of pain, often instead of the usual morphine that we are most used to. The treatment for severely depressed persons was something found out almost by accident. Fibro people do respond very well to this treatment.
loverliesgal
UKFM Member

Postby lemurin » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:19 am

I don't think it is to do with psychology with me as I wouldn't say I was considered 'depressed'. I am certain the reason he has prescribed this is purely due to the pain and the nerve endings. He said something about it stops them from sending out the pain signals but I can't fully remember what else he said.

It is a curious procedure. I have found other blogs from one or two others who have had this done, but they are from a few years ago and the procedure seems to be slightly different. The one that sticks in my mind was a lady in Australia who had to stay in hospital for 5 days whilst they administered the drugs.
lemurin
UKFM Member

Postby madchickenlady » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:42 pm

My ward use Ketamin infusions for severe pain relief, I'm not sure how it works but its definitely used to pain :-)
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Postby madchickenlady » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:45 pm

The patient who had it on my ward was already an inpatient but I do know that normally if you have this you have to be carefully observed
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Postby MPSGuy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:44 pm

I've read of Ketamin being used for pain and depression. One drug can be used for many purposes; many years ago I believe they used strong opiate pain killers for depression and anxiety... another example is gabapentin that is a seizure medication that they now use for pain.

I don't understand why people get so defensive about if a drug is used for mental health or not.... if it works then it works as far as I'm concerned. :-)
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Postby lemurin » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:25 am

I wasn't being defensive, I have no issues with regards to mental health what so ever. I was purely saying why I think I was recommended the procedure.

Anyway... I thought I would post an update as I have now had the procedure.

Before the procedure I suffered with severe back and knee pain, hip pain, ankle pain, hand pain as well as loss of strength and slow / fumblyness of hands.
After the procedure I suffer with hand pain as well as loss of strength and slow / fumblyness of hands. If I don't get enough sleep or a good quality of sleep then the pain creeps back and I need to keep taking my usual tablets of pregablin, tramadol and pro d 3 (although it doesn't matter so much if i miss a dose now). I can't tell you how free this has made me feel. I actually ran up stairs the other day! Something I have not been able to do in a long time.

The actually procedure wasn't very nice. I was sedated whilst they did it but I woke up before I should have done. I can't remember exactly what I saw but I remember everything been blood red and every one around me dying because of me, I couldn't save them. I was quickly sedated again but they had a lot of difficulty waking me up later on, meaning I had to stay overnight (was meant to be a day case). The following days were a bit weird, I don't remember much of the Tuesday but the Wednesday I remember. I just felt so tired and drained. On the Tuesday I kept forgetting how to stand so crawled when I needed to leave bed. On the Thursday though, wow. My head felt clear and I felt truly alive. My mum cried because she said I had my old sparkle back.

It has been over two weeks now since I had the procedure and I am still feeling great. Every now and then I just randomly smile and it has made me realise I didn't smile enough before! I hope I have given someone the courage to look into this as 80% of patients with FMS benefit from it.

:-D
lemurin
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:54 pm

I've been offered Lydoncaine (sp) infusion, which from research is similar to ketamin. However she said the success rate was 30% and even then it didn't last that long! So for now I've said no...interesting to read your experience though, thanks for sharing! Would you mind coming back and updating this thread again to see how long the effects last?
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby lemurin » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:39 am

Yeah of course!

I've not heard of that one, I wonder why different practises use different treatments. I hope you end up not needing it though.
lemurin
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:44 pm

I don't know, but when I googled it (with the correct spelling!) it came up with ketamine infusion as an alternative.

Maybe one is cheaper ;-)
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby lemurin » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:50 am

It must be. I wonder if it isn't available every where yet then?

I've noticed that when I don't get enough or a good enough quality of sleep the pain gets a bit worse, but it is still nothing in comparison to what it was before.

The past weekend gone I did some DIY! Did some painting with work for the charity we support and built two massive chest of drawers! I'd never have been able to do that before.
lemurin
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:56 pm

It's good that it's working for you! I will keep it in mind.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to Treatments & Medication