Chiropractic treaetments

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Chiropractic treaetments

Postby leegould1 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:51 pm

Hi my names Lee and I'm 36 and I have had fibromyalgia for over 7 years now but I'm wondering if anyone has tried any chiropractic treatments yet and if any work. I have seen an advert offering treatment but I'm a bit wary to try unless it doesn't work.

Any stories good or bad would be nice.

Thanks for reading this and would be nice to talk to a few off you as I'm feeling very alone as nobody believes me including family members and this makes it even harder. I just want to be myself again for my little boy.
leegould1
UKFM Newbie

Re: Chiropractic treaetments

Postby moomin1982 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:15 pm

Hi Lee
I have recently started going to a chiropractor as I have hypermobility syndrome as well as fibromyalgia. I do find the treatments really beneficial but for me it is quite painful at the time! it will depend on how much pain you can take and I actually bruise really easily so end up looking battered after a treament but everything feels a lot better in general

hope you feel a bit better if you try it. I have 2 little boys so understand how hard it is to keep up sometimes x
moomin1982
UKFM Newbie

Postby Susan Stokes » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:43 pm

Hi Lee, I guess it's down to the individual, but I have had treatments both osteo and chiro. The thing is you need to find someone who understands the condition. I have had good and bad and now I've settled on a chiropractor who knows how far to go with me. Mine is usually for tension in my neck and shoulders which causes me migrain-like pain, and lower back problems, both of which I have for years. One thing I would advise (and I know it sounds silly) is to be feeling as good as you can before you go. The last session I had I had been building up to a flare-up for a couple of days. Not only did the treatment not help - it made the pain worse. I will also say, that in my experience, The chiro is less traumatic than the osteo. Hope you soon feel better.
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:25 pm

Hi leegould1, i go to one every week and he has helped me more than my gp has ever helped me. Make sure your chiro is gentle because they can be little aggressive at times and you have to make sure they listen to you and make notes for follow up appointments so you remember what tell them if there are any issues. Good luck and health.
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby Fibrad » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:56 pm

Hi there - I went to a chiropractor before I knew my problem was fibromyalgia. I had quite a few sessions and all were very painful and, in the long run, did not improve my symptoms. The one thing that did help, however, was acupuncture. My pain levels definitely improved, as did my energy levels. I am considering trying this again (this time it will have to be self-funded, hence the delay!) As with most things, everyone has different experiences - I have tried lots of different things with varying success but I think it is worth trying - you never know. Good luck.
p.s. it is a very isolating condition, I think we all understand how you feel with regards to feeling alone and misunderstood. You are not alone her tho! :-)
Fibrad
UKFM Member

Postby Merlsmum » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:14 am

Hi there!
I've not seen a chiropractor but have been visiting an osteopath for the last 3 months. I have FMS and RA but was having such bad pain and stiffness with my neck and shoulders that i could hardly move them and I had rolling migraines all the time. I chose osteo treatments over a chiropractor as they have a more holistic approach. My whole body is out of whack so why focus on my spine? Im glad i made that choice as my Osteo discovered on my first treatment that my problems were coming from my hips and not my neck (even though the most severe pain is in my neck!) After the the first treatment my chronic migraine went ... I nearly skipped out of that treatment room I felt so good! :-D
My osteo is very gentle with me and there's no clicking of joints. I feel great but very tired after every treatment and I feel they have really helped me. Osteo has opened out the tight muscles on my ribs caused by costochondritis which meant I could breathe easily for the first time in years and last week a couple of days after my last treatment I actually had a 5 minute 'episode' of being totally pain free!!! Sadly it was only 5 mins but it stopped me in my tracks. lol. :-?
These treatments aren't cheap and i really can't afford them but I have to put myself first for a change to try to get better for my family, so I say go for it. Take advantage of free consultations and whether you decide to go the Osteo or Chiro route, find a therapist you feel comfortable with and who has a good energy about them.
Hugs.
S. x
Merlsmum
UKFM Newbie

Postby leegould1 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:36 am

Thank you for all the replies.
Regards
Lee
leegould1
UKFM Newbie

Postby carolad » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:50 am

Be wary too about the chiropractors who insist that you need to come on a regular basis. I went to a chiropractor who said I needed 3 sessions a week for x number of weeks, then down to one a week, one every two weeks....and finishing up with one a month...for the rest of your life!!!

In the end, all I ever got was a very temporary relief, it did nothing to help long term. The thing is if they ONLY concentrate on spinal adjustments, they aren't really changing anything. If your muscles are tight and pulling vertebrae out of alignment, you need work on the muscles to relax/stretch them. Otherwise, they will just be pulled out of alignment again because your muscles will go back to doing what they've always done...

I had much more success with a physiotherapist - she uses acupuncture, along with other techniques and she works on muscles and joints.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go for :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication