[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Tried TENS machine for first time!

Tried TENS machine for first time!

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Tried TENS machine for first time!

Postby perseus » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:28 pm

I've had one of these lying around since my Mum passed away three years ago, never really got around to using it until 10 minutes ago. Unfortunately the instructions were missing, it a lloyds machine with A to H settings and a scale of strength. I put it across my shoulder which is one of the main sites of pain for me.

Amazed at how powerful this is, sometimes even on the lowest level it can cause my shoulder to involuntary tighten, not unlike cramp but not really painful. I was concerned that it might cause a real cramp. Is this normal?

I was feeling all brave but now feel as if I've been renditioned for information! :yikes: :shock:

How long do you use it for and on what setting?
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Re: Tried TENS machine for first time!

Postby carolad » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:01 pm

carolad
UKFM Member

Postby perseus » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:03 pm

It looks like a cheap one with two small batteries. However, even on the low settings it can result in the muscle contracting significantly, far more than a tingle. Perhaps it might have use as a diagnosis!
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby carolad » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:31 pm

carolad
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:49 pm

Hi perseus, please make sure the pads have moisture and that the pads are firmly in place, not liftiing off the skin as that will make it harsher.. also make sure it does not cross your heart as that can be dangerous and cause your heart to skip a beat or 2.
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:48 am

I would recommend you take the machine into your Dr or if there is a place close that sells them and ask for directions. You need to use it properly or you can cause nerve damage.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby perseus » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:56 am

Jelly doesn't seem to make that much difference. I tried it on my lower arm as a comparison which isn't affected with fibro pains. I could tolerate this a lot better.

I would be interested to see if the flesh of a non fibro patient jolts (moves) in the same way as mine does with an identical machine. It's feels and looks like getting a reflex reaction with a hammer once or twice a second.

I won't try it again without further investigation, although my muscles certainly don't hurt more after I take it off.
perseus

Return to Treatments & Medication