[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Lyrica

Lyrica

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Lyrica

Postby scottydog » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:09 pm

Hi all

Finally seen my GP and have been prescribed Lyrica 50 mg three times a day along with 20mcg BuTrans patch, 30 mg Codeine with paracetamol two four times a day, 500 mg Naproxen twice a day and Amitriptyline 10 mg three before bed. Phew what a combination!!

The new meds are Lyrica and an increase in the BuTrans from 15 mcg to 20 mcg per hour. I noted, from previous posts, that Lyrica can cause weight gain. I must admit I have put on a few pounds but when I made the gluten free Xmas cake I made a lighter version with the leftovers which my hubby and I demolished pretty sharpish so can't blame the Lyrica!! I will keep an eye on the weight as GP said I was borderline diabetic. I have lost one and a half stone this year and want to keep it off! :-D

Anyway getting to the point how long does it take for Lyrica to work? My joints feel looser and I am managing, most nights, to get four hours sleep before the tossing and turning starts. It used to be two hours and then all I would do is doze on and off for the rest of the night. I would say my pain is reduced mostly to 6 out of ten whereas it was 8 out of ten. I am on a fairly low dose, I think, to start and I am due to start hydrotherapy once Occ Therapy receive my referral. Should I give it a month before considering a review with my GP or is how I am feeling now as good as it gets?

Thanks
scottydog
UKFM Member

Re: Lyrica

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:13 pm

Like all meds, it can vary in how long it can take for benefits may be felt. As a very, very rough guide, some have said they have felt benefits after 4~6 weeks, but others have reported it taking as long as 12 weeks before feeling a change in things. The dosage tends to be increased over a suitable period time to help the max possible benefits from them.

Every once in a while, a dog enters your life and changes everything xx

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby loverliesgal » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:52 pm

Hi

I have been taking lyrica for about 6 years, one thing that stands out glaringly is the three times a day for the drug, Its a drug that works best 12 hourly, so if you are not getting any benefit after a week, then talk to your doctor. I have been on 150mg twice a day for best part of two years, but my pain levels are changing so my drug box is too. I have taken an extra 50mg in the morning and it has been amazing for me after just 48 hours. Again I think as with most drug regimes, everyone is different, and different mixes with other drugs also have an impact on the efficacy of the one you are newly taking.

I hope that you will benefit from this as much as I have
loverliesgal
UKFM Member

Postby scottydog » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:21 pm

Thank you both. I have felt some benefit as my pain levels are less and am sleeping better. I will give myself 6 weeks or so and see how I feel. I am taking it 3 times a day as this was what the GP recommended. I usually have to see him for one thing or another and will ask his advice on how frequently to take them when I see him next.

Thanks again☺
scottydog
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication