Oramorph

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Oramorph

Postby dotty lotty » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:50 pm

Am due to start oramorph tomorrow. The dose is 5mg up to 4 times a day. I am feeling a bit apprehensive as it seems such a major step in treatment to take. Other meds have either not helped or given me side effects.

What were other peoples experiences with oramorph :?:

Thanks for any info.:teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Re: Oramorph

Postby Garyl » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:02 pm

During arecent stay in hospital i was on oramorph, have to say was pain free the few days i was on it.
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby sgirling » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:05 pm

hi hun i have to say ive used oramorph in the dosage you explained and its very good but it is addictive though so just be aware of that xxx
sgirling
UKFM Newbie

Postby becbob » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:17 pm

Try it and see. I was on 10mg every 4 hours and it only took the edge of the pain. Now on Tramadol which helps sligntly better. This illness requires a "try it and see" attitude. If after a few weeks it does nothing for you then go back and see your dr. Hope you get things sorted soon. X
Never judge on looks alone. Real beauty comes from with in.
becbob
UKFM Member

Postby sandibach » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:30 pm

Hiya, The wife has been on oramorph for stomach adhesions for a good few years now. She found that to counter attack the burning sensation and taste whilst taking it by mixing the measured dosage with a small ammount of neat Squash ... She personally found Robinsons orange & pineapple best .. As it also stopped alot of the reflux too.
I hope this might be of benefit ..
sandibach
UKFM Newbie

Postby scotbeachell » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:33 pm

when I was fighting the big C, oramorph was given to me as a quick fix. I have tried loads of drug over the years for fibromyalgia many mentioned in these forums (possible all) anyhow, I am finding the slow release BuTrans patches a lot better . Tramadol did help but I was up most nights not being able to sleep (itching). I am not convinced this will help maintain good pain relief throughout the day... anyhow my thoughts everyone is different. btw feeling sick i tended to have a small amount to eat work for me :-) Good Luck worth a try
scotbeachell
UKFM Newbie

Postby wishes45 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:53 pm

Im on zymorph an have to take anti sickness meds with them mine are 40mg too
wishes45
UKFM Member

Postby Kristy Wilson » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:53 pm

I am on oramorph for the breakthrough pain of Fibro. On a bad day I'm taking 10mg every hour when needed. To begin with it may make u feel sick which can be counter acted with cyclizine . I was on this dose every hour 24hrs a day when I was in hospital in Jan for a major back spasm. It does help me but everybody is different. Take it at the dose u have been prescribed by ur gp and if u are finding it's not helping go back because u can go onto a bigger dose. I am already on a lot of pain meds to help control my pain but when having a flair up they don't even touch the pain and that's when the oramorph comes out. I can't take tramadol as they make me itch and completely space me out. Good luck and hope you find sone sort of pain relief that helps.
Kristy Wilson
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:53 pm

Have you tried Duloxetine? My GP started me on it 2 weeks ago and it is the first time i have been pain free-er since this hell all began.
Oromorph is a big step.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby jess » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:14 pm

Hi I take Oramorph but only when its needed has its addictive , A bottle last 3 months and my doctor happy for my to do this ...Ive nw been taking it for 4 years and not addicted , I mainly get by on my meds of tramadol 100mg 4 times and 300mg gabapentin 3 times aday but with me it gives me one hell of a headache then I take my paracitamol (cant spell it ) lol along with my other meds lol

I once said to my doc .... u know if I was a dog I would have been put down years ago :-D :-D :yikes:
jess
UKFM Member

Postby dragonlady » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:18 pm

Hi im on zomorph and I have just been increased to 30mg every twelve hours from 10 every twelve hours they do kill pain as im in so much pain at mo with my hip. I can honestly say they are the best pain killer as yet and ive been on loads of different types so I give any form of morphine a thumbs up
dragonlady
UKFM Newbie

Postby iblinkin » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:48 pm

I haven't used this one, but i was prescribed Dilaudid which is hydromorphone any way you cut it, it's still morphine and my younger bro. was on morphine for years and i don't want to scare anyone but it really messed his heart up, so be careful of long term usage with this drug. Also i stopped taking it as it didn't do anything for me.

Here is a link for detox if you are coming off of this drug.

http://www.withdrawal.net/learn/oramorph/
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:19 am

Thank you all so much for your replies. They have been helpful :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:25 am

Also if driving ensure you know your ability to drive isn't impaired. New drug driving offence limits have been introduced and morphine is included in them. I don't know how the limits relate to dosage.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby mrselizabeth » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:08 pm

Hello..I have been on Oramorph for two years now, it does take the edge off. I have never had any sickness feeling with it at all.
mrselizabeth
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication